I am mainly a bassist but I jam on guitar quite often. Currently I am playing through a peavey bass combo and a boss odb-3 bass distortion pedal. I know it's horrible but thanks to the adjustable mids on the amp I can get a cheap guitar amp sound out of it. I've been playing guitar a lot more lately and have decided to buy myself a decent quality guitar amp. Something with tubes of course. I prefer an 80's rock sort of tone. really, anything from scorpions to pantera. so I guess that means slight overdrive to deep crunch. cleans aren't a big thing to me at the moment but I don't want to be left out in the cold if we pick that up later. So here's my requirements.

1. slight overdrive to deep crunch(cleans would be great but that's not the most important thing.

2. combos would be great for easy movement and setup.

3. needs to sound good at lower volumes(if possible) due to garage practice. Would like enough volume to blow up buildings when i want to, though.

4. price. low as possible here. possible meaning if it's cheap but sounds like crap I don't wanna hear about it.

I was looking at the peavey windsor studio because of the built in attenuator, and i'm also a bit of a peavey fanboy. I own 1 bass combo. the vb-2 bass head. and used to own another combo that I loved, and a friend of mine has a peavey ss combo that's pretty good for an ss combo. But, I keep seeing mixed reviews for it so i'm not sure if it's right for me. All the video reviews leave me wanting more in the deep tone range.

Thanks for any suggestions. and please explain why something sounds right for me in as much detail as possible.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
if your into peavy maybe a classic 30 with an overdrive to get those hard rock tones or maybe one of those jcm 800 combos would do the job if ou could find one used
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
any opinions on the bugera 6262?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
any opinions on the bugera 6262?

The 6262 has quite a dark voicing, similar to the peavey 6505. It has a really raw and harsh tone, i suggest looking at the 333 or 333xl. They are more versatile and alot brighter voiced then the 62xx series.
budget?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

it looks like the the ad is for a Peavey ultra 112 combo plus a 1x12 cab from what it says.

but yeah...the Bugeras are great amps for the price. i would recomend the 333XL or the 6262

i love my 6262. does me right
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Bugera 333xl is an excellent choice for the price.
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

i agree with SlappyMcLardfat
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I've been watching demos of the 6262 and 333xl and i seem to like the 6262 better. Like has been said, it has a darker voice which I like most of the time. I also play some death metal so it'd probably work great for that.

Anybody know where I can find a really good demo video of the 6262 other than youtube? Looking to get more info I haven't found yet. Demo audio works too of course.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
OK, something I just noticed about Bugera. It's actually Behringer under another name. As a bassist I am fully aware at the extreme low quality in build of Behringer bass amps... Is there some reason I should expect different from their guitar amps?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
OK, something I just noticed about Bugera. It's actually Behringer under another name. As a bassist I am fully aware at the extreme low quality in build of Behringer bass amps... Is there some reason I should expect different from their guitar amps?

Yeah you should expect something different, for the price of the amp, the build quality is superb. And bugera is only DISTRIBUTED by behringer.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
get a crate v series and a nice distortion pedal. easy enough...

Don't need one. A good boost is enough.
Quote by andy_h04
Yeah you should expect something different, for the price of the amp, the build quality is superb. And bugera is only DISTRIBUTED by behringer.

That makes me feel much better about it. Phew. still bothers me that it's associated with such a horrible, for bass amps anyway, brand. I think i've decided on the 6262. now the question of. should i buy the head and maybe an avatar cab for now. or should i just go with the combo. 2x12 either way.

EDIT: I should mention that the combo would be handier for my usage. but what if I want to redo the cabinet completely. I guess I could always get the combo and if I decide to try different speakers I could just install new speakers in the combo. Any idea's otherwise?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by Revelation
I've been watching demos of the 6262 and 333xl and i seem to like the 6262 better. Like has been said, it has a darker voice which I like most of the time. I also play some death metal so it'd probably work great for that.

Anybody know where I can find a really good demo video of the 6262 other than youtube? Looking to get more info I haven't found yet. Demo audio works too of course.

hey man. they have a video on the Bugera website demoing each of the amps. just click on whatever amp you are looking for and a video will be on that page near the bottom.

this is the 6262-212 combo vid link

http://www.bugera-amps.com/Products/6262-212.aspx
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

i think the nicest thing to get for your situation that is cheap loud and easy to carry around and could pull of gigs would be an AC15 with a tubescreamer.
Beutiful cleans, crunch on tap, and with a all the gain of a tubescreamer your in tone heaven.
try it out and youll love it, a C30, or a crate v18 just dont compare, the AC15 is a tone beast all on its own.
I think the bugera is allot of gain maybe you wont need, and why sacrifice distorition for tone, the ac15 does good enough to do hard rock and punk you wont be doing any sort of metal trough it, maybe if you get a good tube preamp pedal.
Last edited by showcocker at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by showcocker
i think the nicest thing to get for your situation that is cheap loud and easy to carry around and could pull of gigs would be an AC15 with a tubescreamer.
Beutiful cleans, crunch on tap, and with a all the gain of a tubescreamer your in tone heaven.
try it out and youll love it, a C30, or a crate v18 just dont compare, the AC15 is a tone beast all on its own.

thats like $600 for that amp and its only 15 watts...but it is a good amp. but i think he is looking for somthing with more gain and some more wattage

just check out some vids of some the amps online or try them locally if you can and see what sounds best to you
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

^for garages the ac15 would be perfect for slight overdrive to full crunch, and hardrock, the cleans with light drums could also be pulled off, overdriven it can be heard over heavy drums.
and i know its 15 watts but its plenty loud.
and as i mentioned with a tubescreamer it can mach the c30's gain and go above it as well, also the reverb is to die for. i doubt the c30 will turn into a 5150 with a overdrive.
your not ganna be doing death metal but you could pull of punk and stuff like Fall out boy and those genres.
Last edited by showcocker at Oct 28, 2008,
I would suggest the bugera. there is a lot of shit going around about them but they are actually very nice! you just gotta learn how to tweak em to get the right tone. whatever you do just don't get a bugera cab!
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

So from that last post I'm guessing the head and an avatar cab( or something of the like) would be a better choice tonewise than the combo?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian