I have been playing guitar for a couple of years now.
First of all I don't believe I hold my pick correctly, instead of bending my index finger I keep it straight but still use the side of it. I was wondering if this is still an OK technique to use.

I've also noticed I bend my wrist around so my thumb is angled towards me. I also plant my fingers on the guitar near the volume knob on my guitar (strat). When I try to turn my hand around and lift my fingers I lose all control of my hand and can't pick the strings correctly due to the pick being directly parallel with the string.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense it is hard to explain

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
that's the same way i play except for the way you hold you pick instead i use the tip of my index and middle fingers while strumming and just the tip of my index while picking
]
Hey! Well, first of all, there is not real correct way to pick, just a common one..

Here are two examples for you, if you don't already know them Look and you'll see what I mean.

Paul Gilbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g

Marty Friedman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I

Just do what feels good to you, and if you cramp up (which I would do with your technique :P) stop doing that and do something that feel natural. For me.. I changed the way I pick from reversed (pick tilted backwards) to "normal", made pinch harmonics a lot easier, haha. Took me a month or two to switch, but I'm happy I did. But again, do what feels confortable, each guitar has a slightly different approach as well, I play an RG normally and I hold my hand a bit different when playing on a strat
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
well, the pick holding doesn't really matter all that much. its more a preference of comfort. but the way i hold it is with my first 3 fingers[thumb, index, middle] in a tri-force of glory with my oher two fingers balancing each other out[not doing a damn thing].

for your strumming, if you're just strumming chords in basic time, then keep your upper forearm near the upper corner of your guitar. but if you're doing rock or punkish type music, you want to keep the upper half of your arm still, and use your wrists to do the strumming for you, with basic and minimal elbow movement.

and since you keep picking parallel to the string, you can either move your guitar head facing more an upwards direction, or bow your arm out more to correct the distruption.

also, remember that your pick doesn't have to be in balls deep when strumming, just make sure they LIGHTLY graze the strings.

if you, make a youtube video on you strumming and send it to me, and i can show you personally how to correct your mistakes. if you prefer sending to myspace: www.myspace.com/caboosecorner. i check that more often.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
^ Yep, correct But you know, some players are real good as well, with the pick parralel to the strings. And how much you dig in the pick into the strings greatly depends on accents/feel.
Check out my band (epic folk/death metal) at www.amorgen.org and add us to your favorite social networks!

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C7
Ibanez RG 2620
ENGL Powerball 2
ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Slanted E212VH
TC Electronic G-major 2
Behringer FCB1010
Just do what feels right to you. Though a lot of people in the Advanced Techniques forum will tell you that this posture may do some damage to your wrist or hand.

If you're worried, look at this thread NOW!