I am planning on buying a combo amp or possibly head depending. I'm hoping to spend the next few months carefully deciding which amp to eventually go out and buy. My price limit is anywhere between 700-1000+, whatever does the job I'll save up for it.

What I wanted was something with a more modern sound and high gain. I'm not too much of a fan of treble so a darker kinda warm sounding with a lot of low end but still retains clarity. A few examples would be like a gain-ier Adam Jones tone from Lateralus, with some tight sounding chugging and hopefully some fluid sounding lead tones. As you can see basically a high gain without needing an overdive kind of amp. A lot of bass with less mid rangeyness.

Might be a lot to ask but even if I can just get close. I'm not looking for spectacular cleans because I will be playing distorted maybe 70-80% of the time. I would also like to add I wanted a combo because I feel a half stack is a little overkill for a bedroom/garage player, but since I have a cab will consider heads if the cost is less than a combo.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Which Mesa models should I look in to? I would prefer Mesa Boogie because it's more possible to get at the music store I go to.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Anything but a recto, unless you're a fan of horrible low-volume tone, fizzy gain, and little to no mid-range definition
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
peavey xxx sounds like what your looking for, and you can get those relatively cheap used
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by kayman121
Anything but a recto, unless you're a fan of horrible low-volume tone, fizzy gain, and little to no mid-range definition

haha..if you go with a mesa recto...make sure its one of the older models like the early to mid 90s models. i have an 94 Mesa Dual Rect(2 channel model) and a '92 Mesa Dual Blackface Recto. those have superb sound in every way. those are atill and will always be the best sound Rectos

the newer 3 channel models are just to fizzy, and have crap mid range, and the cleans are horrible.
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Ok I'll see what I can do about the early 90's rectos but that seems like a long shot. Kinda wanted to stay away from eBay and the likes.

Stupid question time, how are the Mesa Express amps? I'm only curious and will probably go with the other suggested amps but a combo would be nice too.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
the express 5:50 long head is pretty rocking. played one at a local shop here. and it can get up to some pretty high gain tones on the burn channel. i like it cause you can switch between 5 watts or 50 watts
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Quote by AndyRevenge
haha..if you go with a mesa recto...make sure its one of the older models like the early to mid 90s models. i have an 94 Mesa Dual Rect(2 channel model) and a '92 Mesa Dual Blackface Recto. those have superb sound in every way. those are atill and will always be the best sound Rectos

the newer 3 channel models are just to fizzy, and have crap mid range, and the cleans are horrible.

Dude, totally agree..... I have a '94 Triple Recto Blackface Boogie (2 channel)

and it just KILLS.....great sounding and built like a freakin' tank!!!