OK so yesterday I bought an Epi SG and I'm looking to put some metal pickups in it. I love actives, but I don't have the guitar for it so my question is what are some good passive pickups with a high output, good sound and relibility?
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
dimarzio evolutions seem to work quite well in my epi sg
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Last edited by acdc51502112 at Oct 27, 2008,
If it's a Epiphone SG Special .... their not worth it
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
what amp do you have?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
I have an Ibanez Toneblaster amp, and I am posting pics on my profile of the guitar now
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Quote by DCarney9116
I have an Ibanez Toneblaster amp, and I am posting pics on my profile of the guitar now

You won't notice a difference to the tone with new pickups if you're using that amp - solid state amps don't really respond to the subtle differences you get from different pickups that well.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
my friend put Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders in his Ibanez and through my amp and his line 6 it made all the differance, but I heard that SH-8 invaders suck
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Wow. It's been a long time since I've posted on this forum.

Anyways...

What some others have already stated is true. There's a lot more to tone than just pickups.

The amp will have the biggest "say-so" in regards to tone. Why? Think about it. The signal from your guitar is being manipulated and amplified. Take your guitar down to your local music shop and plug it into a Peavey 5150 (or... 6505 now, I guess). Then try a Peavey XXX. Then try a THD Univalve. Then try a Bogner or a Dr. Z (if they even have those... you get my point though). You'll quickly see how much different it will sound through those amps.

The type of wood and quality of wood also have a minor effect on tone. I'm sure you understand that, though.

As for the pickups, I like to look at them as "fine adjustment" of tone. The amp is like your course adjustment. Different amps and amp settings will REALLY change your tone. Pickups will merely fine tune from there. and... I hate to say it, but the above response saying pickups will make very little tonal difference in solid state amps is true.

One more thing, the player also has an effect on the tone I remember going to the guitar store when I was 13 and listening to folks play. I'd think, "oooooh aaaahhhhh. it sounds awesome!" So of course, I'd try playing the exact gear they were using and... guess what? wonk wonk woooooooooonk. Didn't sound as good. Didn't have the chops for it.

Not bashing your playing, but it is something to consider.

I've had a few different pickup combinations. Dimarzios..... from the PAF Pro to the X2N. A year or two ago, I put an SD Jazz and Invader in my Gibson SG standard. I've been happy with most of my setups, but tone is a personal preference, not a standard.

In my opinion, you should hold off on buying pickups. Maybe save and upgrade to a better amp if possible. Not sure what guitar you have, but you may simply want to save and get another guitar as well. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck with your decision.
Quote by DCarney9116
my friend put Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders in his Ibanez and through my amp and his line 6 it made all the differance, but I heard that SH-8 invaders suck

He noticed a difference because the Invader is a very hot pickup. Any significant increase in output will be apparent. But will all the subtle nuances of a new pickup be apparent? I don't think so.