As I got better and better on the guitar, I developed economy picking and started to anchor without realising it. Until recently, I kind of ignored it, however my anchoring has taken me to the point where I've worn away the paint off my bridge - this kind of made me realise how bad it is. Although many people use economy picking, it appears to be making a lot of my playing really sloppy.

What I've recently been doing, is practicing all the modes very slowly with my writst or fingers not resting on any part of the guitar, both hands with as little tension as possible and making sure I alternate pick everything. Am I on the right track to developing good technique, or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for any help, sorry if I have overlooked any sticky, I've read them all. I guess I'm just seeking confirmation I have the right idea.

Michal.
Quote by michal23
As I got better and better on the guitar, I developed economy picking and started to anchor without realising it. Until recently, I kind of ignored it, however my anchoring has taken me to the point where I've worn away the paint off my bridge - this kind of made me realise how bad it is. Although many people use economy picking, it appears to be making a lot of my playing really sloppy.

What I've recently been doing, is practicing all the modes very slowly with my writst or fingers not resting on any part of the guitar, both hands with as little tension as possible and making sure I alternate pick everything. Am I on the right track to developing good technique, or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for any help, sorry if I have overlooked any sticky, I've read them all. I guess I'm just seeking confirmation I have the right idea.

Michal.

It's not economy picking that's making you sloppy, it's the way you're practicing; make sure you practice well and economy picking should work just fine. However I do agree that you should try to remove your anchor.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks guys. The reason why I say that economy picking makes my playing sloppy is because I haev absolutely no control when using it; it just feels like little bursts of energy. I've been practicing alternate picking my scales for the past few hours and though I'm at half the speed that I could go with when anchoring and economy picking, I have so much more freedom of movement and control it's unreal.
Quote by michal23
Thanks guys. The reason why I say that economy picking makes my playing sloppy is because I haev absolutely no control when using it; it just feels like little bursts of energy. I've been practicing alternate picking my scales for the past few hours and though I'm at half the speed that I could go with when anchoring and economy picking, I have so much more freedom of movement and control it's unreal.

Again I say that has much more to do with the practice and lack of an anchor rather than not economy picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.