does anyone have any tips on how to tighten your playing or bulid better chops and execute notes fast and accurate, therefore you don't play sloppy?

i noticed if i use my fingering hand(left) put my thumb towards the bottom of the fretbord towards the high e string(similar to chuck from death) it is better but its uncomfortable

thanks
Mute the strings with your fretting hand in between chops (during the rests). Also, make sure you're not overusing your distortion, don't exaggerate with your amp's eq, and get a noise gate pedal to really sharpen them up... especially if you're playing live.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by professorlamp
practice on the clean channel

so that your sweeping is horrible on distortion!

no.

practice on clean and distortion, use a metronome.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
You should practice sweeps on a clean setting when learning them. How would they sound horrible with distortion if you learned how to sweep cleanly on a clean setting?
Quote by blueriver
You should practice sweeps on a clean setting when learning them. How would they sound horrible with distortion if you learned how to sweep cleanly on a clean setting?

because you don't learn to mute as well.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost

You don't hear notes ringing out as well on a clean setting.

I'd suggest slower practise.
Quote by 2mins2midnite
does anyone have any tips on how to tighten your playing or bulid better chops and execute notes fast and accurate, therefore you don't play sloppy?

i noticed if i use my fingering hand(left) put my thumb towards the bottom of the fretbord towards the high e string(similar to chuck from death) it is better but its uncomfortable

thanks

It takes time. There really is no secret to it. Play a lot, listen a lot, and work out the problems as you encounter them.

As mentioned, working out things slowly and playing to a metronome can be a big help. but again remember it takes time. You just have to work at it and pay attention to what you're doing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by jsantos

Lol! That's brilliant! Ok, it's not really an action, but actions speak louder than words!
Quote by Freepower
Read everything in my sig.

i watched your lessons before, good stuff, i use the exersises
im just trying to step it up like yngwie/paul gilbert clarity
what ive started doing is this...

but, ive started downloading Power tabs of solos/songs and stuff, then what i do is drop the tempo of the song down to about 60bpm and playing along to that until its damn near 100% accurate...then depending on how quickly you nail it - pop it up 10-20 bpm (recommended- 10bpm) and repeat. This process isnt instant, it should happen over the course of a few days, but you start seeing progress in a few days.

When its all going slow its easier to concentrate on what your fingers are doing and you can figure out ways of making it effortless.

Hope this helps somehow
Quote by 2mins2midnite
i watched your lessons before, good stuff, i use the exersises
im just trying to step it up like yngwie/paul gilbert clarity

If you read/watched all of that you should have quite a bit of knowledge as to what good technique is, so all you have to do is actually practice it.