There are definitely some bands that just keep simply repeating the same song over and over with slight tweaks added to it in order to turn a "one hit wonder" into a 'multi-one hit wonder'.

Alternately, there are bands that definitely have distinct and unique characteristics that are carried throughout all of their music, yet individually their songs vary greatly.

It bothers me when bands which fall into the latter group are placed into the former group.
Examples to further explain my point would be
---Dragonforce falls into the first group.(It is the general consensus, don't flame me for it.)

---The Smashing Pumpkins should fall into the second group, yet many place them within the first.(This is my example, you can flame me for this one so long as you are able to logically explain yourself).

I would like to know if any of you are also bothered by misclassified bands. Please elaborate if possible.

Edit: I apologize for my improper use of the word 'Adversely', I will take more time to re-check my choice of "alpha/numeric character assemblies" in the future.
Equipment:
---Ibanez RG5EX1 & Montage
---DigiTech RP250 & Jamman Stereo
---Stagg S300 (The 'S' is for Sucks)
---Yamaha G-55A

Please view my deviantArt page.
I have some pictures of a few of my guitars.
Last edited by Drew_Entreri at Oct 27, 2008,
If you are trying to say all Smashing Pumpkins songs sound the same, I would have to disagree with you. Compare say, Zero, to say, Tonight Tonight.

I am probably the only one who istantly thought 'AC/DC!' when I stumbled upon this title
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Not just smashing pumpkins, all grunge.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Drew_Entreri
There are definitely some bands that just keep simply repeating the same song over and over with slight tweaks added to it in order to turn a "one hit wonder" into a 'multi-one hit wonder'.

Adversely, there are bands that definitely have distinct and unique characteristics that are carried throughout all of their music, yet individually their songs vary greatly.

It bothers me when bands which fall into the latter group are placed into the former group.
Examples to further explain my point would be
---Dragonforce falls into the first group.(It is the general consensus, don't flame me for it.)

---The Smashing Pumpkins should fall into the second group, yet many place them within the first.(This is my example, you can flame me for this one so long as you are able to logically explain yourself).

I would like to know if any of you are also bothered by misclassified bands. Please elaborate if possible.

WTF, have you not heard of mellon collie?

edit: wait nvm, I didnt read the whole post, my bad.

I think rage against the machine should fall in the first group....I dont find the band very diverse, even morellos solos.
Quote by IncubusMan999
If you are trying to say all Smashing Pumpkins songs sound the same, I would have to disagree with you. Compare say, Zero, to say, Tonight Tonight.

I am probably the only one who istantly thought 'AC/DC!' when I stumbled upon this title

No I think he was saying Smashing pumpkins don't sound the same, but most people who are ignorant say they do.

And yeah, most metal and classic rock sound the same, very little creativity, given the obvious exceptions.
Yeah I thought that may have been so. Ts, consider being more distinct and your use of 'adversely' is a malapropism.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999

I fully agree with you. That was exactly what I was trying to convey. I'm sorry if I came across as confusing. I personally could never understand how or why people would say that The Smashing Pumpkins' songs sounded all the same. I think that it is just because Billy Corgan carried that signature 'Pumpkins' sound throughout all of his music, but he also made each song unique too.
Equipment:
---Ibanez RG5EX1 & Montage
---DigiTech RP250 & Jamman Stereo
---Stagg S300 (The 'S' is for Sucks)
---Yamaha G-55A

Please view my deviantArt page.
I have some pictures of a few of my guitars.
well if you think about it, the songs may sound the same to you, but could be different to other people. like to me, most rap sounds the same because i dont enjoy listening to it, but to some of my friends its all different and such. let them listen to like dream theater, and they'll say it all sounds the same, probably because they dont enjoy listening to it. if you like something youre more likely to pull out all the little details and such

its all opinion
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Quote by King Baby Duck
And yeah, most metal and classic rock sound the same, very little creativity, given the obvious exceptions.

yeah, i agree.

a lot of black label society and iron maiden songs begin to sound the same after a while.
Quote by King Baby Duck
No I think he was saying Smashing pumpkins don't sound the same, but most people who are ignorant say they do.

i disagree (outbout the classic rock/metal thing)

see, ur avatar is blink 182, i think that stuff all sounds the same. i think people just have different ears, and hear it differently. that's why people like different music
Excellent, we are in mutual understanding. Mainly, I think the fact that BIlly Corgan's voice can be grating at times contributes how they are seen as repetitive, Smashing Pumpkins are a band that you have to have some patience for.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
All Dragonforce songs sound different to me, just because they use the same verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, verse, chorus formula for every song a lot of people can't tell the difference
^ They use a lot of predictrable cadences, and their sound just gets old after a while IMO, I get sick of instrumental elitism very easily, excluding Necrophagist, because at least everyone is soloing at the same time
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
I agree with the point about Billy Corgan's voice and how to people with no patience for it, it makes them all sound the same.

I've heard the same argument for Blood Brothers, Refused, The Bronx and, in a completely different vein, lots of dance music.

In short, people are more likely to notice the subtle nuances in music that they can actually stand to listen to. Once you get past that, however, there are undoubtably things to discover.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Well AC/DC deffinately falls into the first group, they proudly admit that they've made the same record 16 times, and why wouldn't they? It's a really great record! The Smashing Pumpkins do not fall into this category though, and anyone that thinks they do doesn't know anything about the band or music as a whole, pick your favorite reason. It doesn't really bother me if people mis-classify a band, most people are just talking out of their asses on most topics anyway, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't guilty of that myself. If they get it wrong, screw it and move on with smacking your cat around.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
how do songs sound the same?

herman li writes them

and i agree about ACDC...
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
how do songs sound the same?

herman li writes them

and i agree about ACDC...

Sam writes all the songs numbnuts
Incubus is often put in the first group, wrongly in my opinion. If you grab any album of them ull quickly notice that not a single song is the same, and uses a large variety of styles. Take theyre latest album, which although not theyre greatest release "Light Grenades" follows the variety rule, take "Love Hurts" and "Pendelous Threads" or "Light Greanades", completely diifferent.
singing sweet home alabama all summer long, *enter sweet home* riff
Quote by steven seagull
Everytime you feel your attention waning go the mirror and say outloud to yourself...
"I am Rockasaurus Sex...I have the most awesome username in existence and I will ROCK!"
Quote by LaT3raluS
Incubus is often put in the first group, wrongly in my opinion. If you grab any album of them ull quickly notice that not a single song is the same, and uses a large variety of styles. Take theyre latest album, which although not theyre greatest release "Light Grenades" follows the variety rule, take "Love Hurts" and "Pendelous Threads" or "Light Greanades", completely diifferent.

To be honest, I haven't heard one person say that about Incubus.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
lol i am kind of stunned that noone called nirvana yet :P

But dont get me wrong now tough i like em alot and i dont think they all sound the same.

I also do know that he used alot of chords in different songs like Been a son And On a plane uses some of the same chords but in a very different way.

Or Sliver And Lithium both have that ''i like it im not gonna...'' and the ''grandma take me home'' parts.
But they just sound different.
Samey-ness can easily attributed to how diverse the tastes of the original writer(s) of the songs are. Say for instance...AC/DC. I'm willing to bet that AC/DC listen to the same stuff they did when they started in much the same way I'm willing to bet Sam Totman listens to alot of Power Metal when he's writing.

Now to take G-loony's statement, he's right. Kurt had an extensive pallet and his record collection included Hardcore Punk, Bubblegum Pop, Country music, Blues and even Rap music etc and this diversity has been reflected into the music he makes (compare Drain you to Negative Creep for example.)

The lesson to be learned from this? Listen to alot more music.
Now to take G-loony's statement, he's right. Kurt had an extensive pallet and his record collection included Hardcore Punk, Bubblegum Pop, Country music, Blues and even Rap music etc and this diversity has been reflected into the music he makes (compare Drain you to Negative Creep for example.)

The lesson to be learned from this? Listen to alot more music.

i couldnt agree more !!!
Quote by ctb
yeah, i agree.

a lot of black label society and iron maiden songs begin to sound the same after a while.

Yeah, as much as I love maiden, their chord progressions aren't exactly creative...
Quote by IncubusMan999
To be honest, I haven't heard one person say that about Incubus.

most people i know say that incubus only reproduces radio material...