Either on the internet or book form...

I wanna learn theory.. But i read the theory faq here and some columns for beginner theory on UG but i get lost, and can't follow.. They go too fast..

I wanna find something written by real professionals, with exercises and easier to follow style resources.. Better if it's online somewhere, or and ebook.. or i can go out and purchases book..

Thanks for the help
A great book that makes basic music theory for guitar easy to learn is:

Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick.

The book focuses on the perspective of a guitarist, applying the theory of music to strings and fretboard.

It has sections that look like a workbook so you can test your self in written and audible forms:
You're absolutely right, I meant to be doing enough video theory lessons to have covered everything and then I would splice them into the FAQ and fix it up a bit but obviously that's not happening. Excuse me while I get to work doing my modly duties.
Quote by Freepower
They do go too fast, don't they? Check out my sig, I'm trying to bridge the gap between absolute beginner and FAQ level.

i'll watch the videos.. and see how they go

Quote by jsantos
A great book that makes basic music theory for guitar easy to learn is:

Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick.

The book focuses on the perspective of a guitarist, applying the theory of music to strings and fretboard.

It has sections that look like a workbook so you can test your self in written and audible forms:

i'll look for at the music shop

and also the crusades people been talking about..

any other professionally written books or websites?
As far as the Advancing guitarist goes, I heard you need quite a lot of music theory to understand the concepts in it.

But hey, I haven't read it.
Quote by Tom-sawyer
As far as the Advancing guitarist goes, I heard you need quite a lot of music theory to understand the concepts in it.

But hey, I haven't read it.

i have close to none theory..
why not start with key signatures ,
C , G and D major , ?
try and learn the notes by "letter name" , and "intervals".
learn how to write these three key signatures and to find some printed scores with them .
thats a good starting point .
The AB guide to music theory covers a lot, but it also goes into some classical stuff that I'm guessing you don't want to know. I recommend it though.
Quote by slayer1516
lessons

i actually just started lessons.. had my first one last weekend.. that's why i'm all pumped, and want to get ahead by studying a bit on my own too
Quote by slayer1516
lessons are completely useless
Fixed. Unless you're looking for a classical guitar teacher (rare in english speaking countries) or some jazz teacher than knows more than a few chords (also rare), you're not gonna come up with much. Dont get me wrong, theres a few good teachers, but most teachers would rather teach songs and tabs than technique and theory.

That being said, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory and music theory for dummies are good. It's also a great idea to read the crusade articles (start from the beginning). After reading that, if you have any questions anyone here will be happy to answer them (and then even happier to spam your threads with arguments about complex theory), the guys at MT are correct at least 95% of the time.
Quote by demonofthenight
Fixed. Unless you're looking for a classical guitar teacher (rare in english speaking countries) or some jazz teacher than knows more than a few chords (also rare), you're not gonna come up with much. Dont get me wrong, theres a few good teachers, but most teachers would rather teach songs and tabs than technique and theory.

Well i prefer my teachers cooked a little longer personally .
In all seriousness where I live there seems to be classical guitar teachers everywhere, always ready to tell me I'm holding the guitar wrong (what's up with that?).
Quote by demonofthenight

That being said, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory and music theory for dummies are good. It's also a great idea to read the crusade articles (start from the beginning). After reading that, if you have any questions anyone here will be happy to answer them (and then even happier to spam your threads with arguments about complex theory), the guys at MT are correct at least 95% of the time.

+1 (and the AB guide i mentioned before)
Though do make sure you read first and ask questions after, unlike a lot of people on this forum do.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Well i prefer my teachers cooked a little longer personally .
In all seriousness where I live there seems to be classical guitar teachers everywhere, always ready to tell me I'm holding the guitar wrong (what's up with that?).
I dunno, but I swear I play better when I have my wrist straight and the guitar slightly pointed upwards. What they say works.
Quote by demonofthenight
I dunno, but I swear I play better when I have my wrist straight and the guitar slightly pointed upwards. What they say works.

I meant when they tell me my (electric) guitar should be between my legs, it's just a different playing style, doesn't mean it's wrong.
i'm starting to read the crusades.. then i'll see how it is.. and try another suggestions from this thread
Quote by demonofthenight

Perhaps I'm spoiled because I live in Austin, TX, but this is probably the most incorrect thing I have ever read in my short existence on this earth. Just wrong. So wrong. So incorrect in every way imaginable.
the crusade articles are really good.. i'm actually understanding the stuff..

now i gotta figure out a way to remember the notes on the fretboard...
^ did my vids help? The plan was to build up simple rules to learn the fretboard with...

eg,
1) learn natural notes on E string then apply rules for sharps and flats as needed.
2) after the 12 fret the notes repeat (halves your work)
3) low and high E the same (essentially, learn one string and you have a third of the fretboard down)
4) D string is same as low E but "up two frets"

and then from there you just have some donkey work.

Was that clear across the vids?
i haven't had a chance to go through your videos yet..
i've been busy with midterms

i'm gonna start watchin your videos sometime next week.. i'll let you know how it goes