I was just wondering what's the difference beetween them?
Do I need to learn all the positions for every scale?

Thanks.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
No, you don't need to learn every position, but , obviously the more positions you know the easier it is to improv.

x
They're all the same thing - a scale is a series of notes that sounds good together, with a set pattern of intervals over a single octave. A scale pattern is simply one place where those notes occur, they actually appear all over the fretboard.

If you want to use a scale effectively then you need to know all the places you can play it - if you learn the notes on the fretboard first and learn scales the correct way then you'll discover the patterns for yourself. Have a look at Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ah, ok. Thanks.
I already know some theory and stuff because I'm grade 6 cornet, and I play in a brass band...
I need to learn the notes on the fretboard better then.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Theory is universal - you just need to know where the notes are on whatever instrument you happen to be playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Benjabenja
I was just wondering what's the difference beetween them?
Do I need to learn all the positions for every scale?

Thanks.

Well, each scale can be visualized as a pattern on the neck. ( this goes for intervals & chord shapes as well). the guitar neck encompasses more than an octave and more than one position, so yes you will likely want to learn all the patterns for each scale. it takes time though. you can start by learning some of the common patterns, and then expand from there.

You'll need at least some knowledge of the fretboard ( especially the 6th & 5th strings) to know where to play a particular scale pattern. For instance if you want to apply the standard minor pentatonic scale to a chord progression that's in A minor, you will need to know where to play that pattern. If you know that the note on the 5th fret /6th string is A.... you will be able to play the scale there and be in key.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 27, 2008,