My uncle tries to sell me a gibson les paul studio that's 1 year old and in really good shape.

The price would be 690 e including a guitar case.

I really haven't hold a gibson in my hands so I really don't know about them much. I play an epiphone les paul standart and I really have loved it so far.

Is this a good deal?

EDIT: oh and I play mostly shredding music but also really much rock such as yngwie, gilbert, vai, satch, gun's n roses, metallica, ac/dc, ozzy osbourne etc.
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Oct 27, 2008,
its harder to shred on a les paul. the epi isn't that much different as far as shape and weight are concerened. i am pleased with my studio. idk bout the price though
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
the studio is a nice guitar, its very light weight, its just missing a few of the bells a whistles of the standard thats all. i have a studio it was my 1st gibson and it sounds great and looks amazing. id say go for it besides if you dont like it the resale value of a gibson never goes down you can always sell it.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
If he's your uncle surely he'll let you play it before you part with your cash. I can tell you with some confidence it'll be good at Guns and ACDC and fine for Metallica but the necks are kinda chunky so Vai, Satch and the like may be a struggle, but play it and find out.
Quote by Opethfan1
the studio is a nice guitar, its very light weight, its just missing a few of the bells a whistles of the standard thats all. i have a studio it was my 1st gibson and it sounds great and looks amazing. id say go for it besides if you dont like it the resale value of a gibson never goes down you can always sell it.

U think I could get like 600-700 of it if I sell it?
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
U think I could get like 600-700 of it if I sell it?

they go for about 14g's new so i depending on how good of shape its in i would think you could prolly get anywhere between 7-9 for it.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by Szelei
if you play mostly shred, why not get an ibanez?

+2

Gibsons are rather poor for shredding if you ask me, akward high fret access, fat necks and rather heavy (not sure if this goes for the studio). Give it a test run, but you're probably better off with an Ibanez or a Jackson.

Also, a Gibson Studio wont keep its value with age (unlike the classic model) add the horrible quality control and you can expect them to go down in price, eventually.

Quote by Opethfan1
they go for about 14g's new so i depending on how good of shape its in i would think you could prolly get anywhere between 7-9 for it.

You can get a new LP Studio for as much as 900 euros in Germany, I doubt anyone would want to buy it used for 750-800.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Last edited by lokster at Oct 27, 2008,
Hey guys... I want to buy a Les Paul... Which would you recommend? Epiphone Custom or Gibson? Because I have played Gibsons that were great, but I've also played Epiphone Custom models that were great and they cost far less. I don't want to spend a million crowns on a guitar... I want a great guitar for the least money... Thanks
I love how people in here think that just because it doesn't have an 18mm thick, flat, and wide neck you can't play fast on it.

Try it, and if you like it and it's built well (apparently quality control is an issue), go for it.
not all gibsons are hard to shred on. i do admit the gibson's neck are kinda wide and not really easy comfort when you are playing fast but once you get used to it you'll be able to perform better on a slimmer neck.
Quote by kckyle
not all gibsons are hard to shred on. i do admit the gibson's neck are kinda wide and not really easy comfort when you are playing fast but once you get used to it you'll be able to perform better on a slimmer neck.

I can't play very well on a slim neck now.
I think the neck on my Studio is a little to THIN, but thats ok, it's fine with me.

It's a great guitar, I love mine, and will be sticking with it for years (ill keep it for life), I may possibly make it my number two down the road, I really liked the R9, but 5k is way to much for a 15 year old without a job.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
do not buy that guitar. isn't the epi les paul standard supposed to be better than the studio?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
do not buy that guitar. isn't the epi les paul standard supposed to be better than the studio?
It's hit-and-miss. They're about equal, some Epi Standards will be much better, some will be much worse.

Epi Custom is a little more consistent, but it's still not a totally foregone conclusion which is better. The quality control both on the low-end Gibsons and on the regular Epis varies so much that it's possible to have one Gibson Studio that is amazing, one utterly sucks, then one Epi that is amazing, and another Epi that utterly sucks.

The rule is simply to try the guitar out, really give it a proper test drive, and decide on it's own merits.

As far as 'shredding' goes.. well, not everyone likes thin necks. I know for me personally, I can play faster on a thick neck with low frets than an Ibanee thin neck with big frets (I know, I have an Ibanez.. never touch the damn thing, it's so uncomfortable and slow to use!). For what it's worth though, the Epi neck will be slightly thinner than the Gibson neck, so that's something to consider.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.