Hey everyone. I've been using this site for awhile now for tabs so I figured I'd stop by the forum for a change. I've been playing guitar (self taught by reading tabs 'n such) for about a year and a half now. I like playing modern metal (All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive) and technically I can play the songs after enough practice. What I'm interested in now is improvisation and writing music.

I know a couple of basic blues, major, and minor scales but I don't really know how to implement that knowledge into writing music. When I play these bands' music they're all over the fretboard and I just don't comprehend how someone can write that stuff. What do I need to do to start learning how to compose some riffs or even a whole song?
Learn the notes on the fretboard
Learn about intervals
Learn the major scale
Learn about chord construction

That should be enough to get you started - read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
@ steven Agreed

That is what you need to do. Learn theory the best you can. Take a course at your local college if possible.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by theessence136
What do I need to do to start learning how to compose some riffs or even a whole song?

Your ears/brain + creativity

theory and all thats been mentioned above will help as well.

- keep in mind though, that you can be creative and use your ears right now. The other stuff will take awhile to integrate. You'll get there though if you work at it.
shred is gaudy music