Hi! I'm trying to do the song black hole sun by sound garden. And while I can play the notes correctly, I think that the song as a whole is actually tuned a quarter step up. I have a korg tuner chromatic tuner set to a standard 440 A. And I can change that 440 and thusly it will shift the entire spectrum of notes up or down.

My question is what value should that standard A be set to if I want everything to be a quarter step sharp?
does it need to be absolutely perfect? just turn the knob slightly sharp after you tune it jesh.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I've never heard of tuning in Quarter steps, since the smallest incriment on the guitar is a half step. . . .. strange.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
to move a frequency up/down a half step you multiply/divide it with the twelth root of 2 (that is 2^(1/12))

A=440hz
Bb = 440*2^(1/12) = 466.16hz

so for a quarter step, multiply it by 2^(1/24) and you'll be a quarter step sharp
440*2^(1/24) = 452.89
maybe your intonation is off? im pretty sure i have played along with that song and i never remeber having to tune up a quarter step for any song
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by seljer
to move a frequency up/down a half step you multiply/divide it with the twelth root of 2 (that is 2^(1/12))

A=440hz

so for a quarter step, multiply it by 2^(1/24) and you'll be a quarter step sharp
440*2^(1/24) = 452.89

very nice +10
Nope. Intonation is perfect. seljer I'm gonna try that in a minute I'll tell you how it worked.
Quote by notsee
I've never heard of tuning in Quarter steps, since the smallest incriment on the guitar is a half step. . . .. strange.

Machine Head uses it too on some of the songs off The Blackening.
Quote by notsee

Panama by Van Halen is 1/4th down instead of a half IIRC, and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica, along with most of Ride the Lighting is a 1/4th up because the piano they tuned to was also sharp
Wait.... this doesn't make sense...

A to Bb is 36 2/3 hz. that means dividing 36 2/3 by 4 will give me a quarter

Yeah well that gives me nine! Meaning that it should be 349
Quote by sesstreets
Wait.... this doesn't make sense...

A to Bb is 36 2/3 hz. that means dividing 36 2/3 by 4 will give me a quarter

Yeah well that gives me nine! Meaning that it should be 349

its a geometric progression, not linear
Quote by seljer

A=440hz

440*2^(1/24) = 452.89

I guess that would be the most extremely accurate way to do it.

But I think I remember reading that Dime's tech added 20 cents to the tuning to make it a quarter step.

It seems silly, but 1/4 step down sounds pretty heavy.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: