I got a project where I'm suppose to write a paragraph on how many times you could "stretch one pound of gold around the world"... wtf!! Anybody ever heard of this b4?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_leaf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbeating

At a thickness of 100 nm, one square metre of gold leaf corresponds to 0.1 cubic centimetre or just 2 grams of gold. In Imperial measurements, one ounce (28.34 g) of gold corresponds to about 200 square feet (about 20 m2) of gold leaf.

edit: if you make a square one nanometre * one nanometre wire out of 1 pound of gold it'd be enough to go 5.8 times round the equator

http://www.google.si/search?hl=sl&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=LCD&q=1+pound%2F(19.3+grams+per+cubic+centimetre+*+0.0001cm+*+0.0001mm)+%2F+(2*pi*radius+of+earth)&btnG=Iskanje&meta=
Last edited by seljer at Oct 27, 2008,
okay.
Find out how much gold (dimensions) there is in a pound, then find what the dimensions are of a gold atom, and how many atoms there are in a pound of gold... maybe...
Have fun with that
well, assuming you can stretch it out to a strand that is only one atom wide, im guessing a lot of times.

figure out approximately how many atoms are in a pound of gold, and then figure out how long it would be if you stretched that out.

EDIT: looks like im not the only one with that idea.

DO IT!
Quote by gregg freeman
tell your chemistry teacher to go and f*ck himself. : )

My friend almost turned in a blank homework assignment with that written on it today o_o
My chem teacher is really tight too.
Once again, The Pit has amazed me with their surplus of knowledge.

That being said, inb4 rape.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
figure out how many grams are in a mole of gold. (107.87 grams i believe). Convert pounds into kg then divide kg by 107.87 g. That will give the moles of gold, multiply the moles times 6 X 10^23 and that will give you the number of atoms in a pound of gold. Then figure out the diameter of an atom and multiply it by the number of atoms.Then divide by the circumference of the earth. There you go theres you paragraph.
It's actually pretty simple.
You have a weight (pound), so you can calculate how many atoms you have. Just use the molecular weight of gold: if a gram of gold has this many molecules, then a pound of gold has that many.
Then, you have a number of atoms. Suppose you use all these atoms to form a very long wire, like beads on a string. If you know the diameter of an atom of gold (look it up), you can calculate the length of the "beaded string" easily by the number of "beads". E.g. beads with 1 inch diameter, 10 beads make a 10 inch string. Simple!

Cheers!
ZeG
Quote by Wulphy
Once again, The Pit has amazed me with their surplus of knowledge.

That being said, inb4 rape.

It's not the intelligence of The Pit we question. It's the ethics.
Quote by Guitarpilot
figure out how many grams are in a mole of gold. (107.87 grams i believe). Convert pounds into kg then divide kg by 107.87 g. That will give the moles of gold, multiply the moles times 6.02 X 10^23 and that will give you the number of atoms in a pound of gold. Then figure out the diameter of an atom and multiply it by the number of atoms.Then divide by the circumference of the earth. There you go theres you paragraph.

fixed.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Guitarpilot
figure out how many grams are in a mole of gold. (107.87 grams i believe). Convert pounds into kg then divide kg by 107.87 g. That will give the moles of gold, multiply the moles times 6 X 10^23 and that will give you the number of atoms in a pound of gold. Then figure out the diameter of an atom and multiply it by the number of atoms.Then divide by the circumference of the earth. There you go theres you paragraph.

Listen to this ^^ guy. That's your answer right there. I've had similar questions in high school math. Has to do with using conversion equations from atoms to moles to grams and dimensions.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I got "101320479607422126.97326927431139" times.. I know for a fact that is wrong, because I didn't know how to convert... but she is a cool teacher and she'll give me credit anyways lol
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
I got "101320479607422126.97326927431139" times.. I know for a fact that is wrong, because I didn't know how to convert... but she is a cool teacher and she'll give me credit anyways lol

If you can tell me the width of an atom of gold then I will work the rest out for you, I've been trying to find it but I can't. I'll even show you all my working!
Quote by blynd_snyper
If you can tell me the width of an atom of gold then I will work the rest out for you, I've been trying to find it but I can't. I'll even show you all my working!

I just guessed with .1 nano meters
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Im pretty sure you need to find how many atoms are in the gold first.

So do this
weight of the gold you have g x (1mol/avg mass) x (6.02x10^23/1)

Then figure out the distance of...idk
That relates to maleability, and gold is very malleable...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by touji-za-nai

Dimensional analysis FTW.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
tell him to drink 12M of HCl
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Quote by Vandals572
fixed.

Thanks dude. Thought i might have ****ed that number up.