OK so here's the deal. I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp, and I decided that an OD/boost would be great. I also decided that if i wanted a pedal, i wanted it to be awesome. Right now, i've found someone in the gear building section who can build me my very own TS clone with modifications to give it a thicker OD and make it act like a good clean boost. Essentially, he can make exactly what I want. and he'll charge me $150. Does this sound like a good idea? or are there other pedals that i should look at?

keep in mind that i can not try ANY pedal in person because my local shops dont carry any large amounts of pedals outside of Boss.

EDIT for example, should i check out the voodoo sparkle drive?

thanks!!
sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Oct 27, 2008,
yea cus the good tube screamer is 160
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
What exactly are you looking for the pedal to do?

What styles are you going to be playing?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What exactly are you looking for the pedal to do?

What styles are you going to be playing?

eh...well that's kinda hard to describe because i dont really play in a genre per say. but i'm looking for a pedal for two or three reasons. first, to push my overdriven channel in order to get more modern/higher gain stuff that my amp can't quite get on its own. second, to act as a clean boost to get some light grit on my clean channel. and third, to get another type of overdriven sound out of my amp. the hot rod has a very unique tone to it, which is nice, but it isn't exactly what i would call your "classic" classic rock overdriven tone.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
it would work for everything you listed except the modern/high gain stuff
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Would a Keeley Modded TS-9 be a better bet? it's only 9$ more, but which will be higher quality? the custom one? or the keeley?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
eh...well that's kinda hard to describe because i dont really play in a genre per say. but i'm looking for a pedal for two or three reasons. first, to push my overdriven channel in order to get more modern/higher gain stuff that my amp can't quite get on its own. second, to act as a clean boost to get some light grit on my clean channel. and third, to get another type of overdriven sound out of my amp. the hot rod has a very unique tone to it, which is nice, but it isn't exactly what i would call your "classic" classic rock overdriven tone.

I beg to differ.

Skip about 2 minutes in

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Lol1.flv

HRD Clean channel, cranked.

I say go for it TS. 150 bucks isn't much for a hand made pedal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I beg to differ.

Skip about 2 minutes in

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=Lol1.flv

HRD Clean channel, cranked.

I say go for it TS. 150 bucks isn't much for a hand made pedal.

lol yea that video of yours is actually what finally convinced me to buy my amp. yea, the clean channel cranked gets that sound, but the overdriven channle is kinda odd - in a great way - but odd.

yea, thats what im thinking, but even over the keeley?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
lol yea that video of yours is actually what finally convinced me to buy my amp. yea, the clean channel cranked gets that sound, but the overdriven channle is kinda odd - in a great way - but odd.

yea, thats what im thinking, but even over the keeley?

Keeley modded pedals are great, but I just find them too much money for what they are.

Have you checked out the Fulltone OCD?

Personally, I cba with the OD channel of that amp. I find it useless really.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Check out the Maxon OD-9 its pretty much a vintage Ibanez TS-9 and you'll pay about $500 for that. Its a great pedal thats brighter than a vintage TS-9.
For getting higher gain stuff out of that amp, you're not going to get it with an OD.

I say, for what you want, you should check out the Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
diamond j-drive mk3

sooo worth the extra coin

hands down best od/clean boost ever made IMO
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by MatrixClaw
For getting higher gain stuff out of that amp, you're not going to get it with an OD.

I say, for what you want, you should check out the Visual Sounds Jekyll and Hyde.

TS + OD channel = modern

ive done it before. it works just fine for what i want.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I'll second the nominations for the Fulltone OCD. They have some listed on their site as "blemished" that are under your price range. I bought one and it looks perfect to me. Full warranty and all that.

-J
"newest circuit version OCD new V1.4 . x 6 available $125 plus $13 ups"

O_O ....so how well does it function as a clean boost?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
"newest circuit version OCD new V1.4 . x 6 available $125 plus $13 ups"

O_O ....so how well does it function as a clean boost?

wonderfully?
it actually does do everything wonderfullly. i'm thinking of buying a second to use as a boost, and my current one for drive
wow, yea, the youtube videos make this thing sound like a freaking beast
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
would an OCD work well for pushing an already driven amp? or would it be better to get something like a TS?
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
it would work wonders pushing an already driven amp...thats all i do with mine...but my favorite thing about the OCD is the response it gets to your guitar volume knob
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Didn't like the OCD at all with the HRD. Sounded very processed and take. I've had that issue with a lot of the fulltone stuff though.
I think a custom-voiced tubescreamer would be a good idea as long as they knew what they're doing and can voice it for that amp.
If you're referring to Vincent (the_spine_surfs) tell him I sent you and we'll work on custom voicing for it.
Quote by Roc8995
Didn't like the OCD at all with the HRD. Sounded very processed and take. I've had that issue with a lot of the fulltone stuff though.
I think a custom-voiced tubescreamer would be a good idea as long as they knew what they're doing and can voice it for that amp.
If you're referring to Vincent (the_spine_surfs) tell him I sent you and we'll work on custom voicing for it.

nah, im working with kurtlives91. right now, im not sure what i'm leaning towards. the ocd sounds wonderful, but if what you say is true, them im screwed with it cause this is going to be my amp for a looooooooooooooooooong time. besides, the idea of a custom TS is pretty sick...
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It's a close race between the OCD and Maxon OD9 but they're both great.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i say go for it... cant go wrong with anyting custom in my opinion all my shit is custom made... my strat my amp... my TS9 i had moded... new chaip and caseing for it... sounds awsome...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Maxon OD-9 is great. Check out the Crowther Hot Cake and T-Rex Mudhoney, i've used all 3 with my Blues Deluxe Reissue on the drive chanel. The Maxon was more SRV/EJ but the others all sounded modern.