let me give some background about myself before i explain my situation

while i was on high school i was thinking of what career to choose and i decided computer science because i thought i could do programming and make videogames. im very good with computers in the aspects of fixing them and alot of other stuff so i said to myself since im good on this might as well do this

but now it turns out computer science is a bunch a bunch a bunch of math and is killing me i suck at math

when i started college i failed my college algebra class so i chose then a lower level class math and i passed that and then i took college algebra and passed it and now im taking precalculus and trigonometry X_X and im barely passing with a C and after this class the math gets harder and harder

im thinking to myself if i keep taking more math im going to fail every semester.

i do study and this is too hard for me

so now my options are these

1.keep doing this degree
2.explore other careers
3.choose a career in computers which is less math intensive
4.study music and starve to death

if i choose option 1
if i keep at it this degree it will take me a bunch of years since i would probably fail math alot of times and programming is tough as well

i dont think there are many programming jobs here on south florida so i doubt a videogame company or something like that is down here to find work like that

most programming jobs are given to people in other countries such as india since is cheaper

option 2
explore other careers i tried looking at other careers but i cant find anything if you guys could suggest me careers to explore i would appreciate it

option 3
i dont know of any careers like this that make a decent amount of money

option 4
this is my passion but as we all know making good money on music is really tough
either you are a rockstar or you a music teacher that gets a crap salary and barely make it day through day i dont want to worry in the financial aspect in my life

so any advice,suggestions of other careers to look at or anything at all is appreciated

p.s i know is abig wall of text and my english kind of sucks so bear with it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
become a proctolagist
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
4 dont spend as much on useless things
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Theres more jobs than youd'd think in music. However i'm in the same situation as you. I'm studying music and recently decided it's not what i want to do.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Lion tamer.

but seriouslt i was in a very similar situation two years ago, I chose option 4 and am now studying music full time, but that probably isn't the best option if you don't want to worry about finances in the future.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Three. It sounds like you can fix computers well, so you might want to look more in repair than programming.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
The answer depends - Who's paying for your college?
A) Your parents
B) You

A Answer - Drag your sorry ass through that course and make good on your decision instead of wasting your parents time and money. Man up, and live with your choice.

B Answer - Do whatever interests you, but be aware that indecisiveness is a trait that will often bankrupt you FAR quicker than being a musician ever could.

Either way - Make a decision and stick with it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
think carefully about if your career will exist 20 years from now. I have done a few careers that have become obsolete. I was a layout artist...non of them any more, then a photographer (film) then it all went digital and no more money. Pogramming is not too good, unless you think its fun. Try to do something you love and that lasts forever. Only thing for sure is people have to eat.
Become a janitor.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I was kind of in the same boat. I'm a CS major also in my 4th year at college. My best advice would be to switch off to a bachelor's in arts in CS. As a BA, the math requirements are lower, and a lot of people look down on them because of it. However, for people who only need a high-level understanding of computers, such as systems administrators, network administrators, security architects, etc., it's ideal.
Well, as far as other career options, you haven't really given anything about things that you're interested in other than computer science.

But, if you really know that that is what you want to be doing, you'll get it eventually, and it'll be worth the work if you enjoy your career later on.
Quote by stefan1988
...after this class the math gets harder and harder
No. It doesn't. Calc I and II are only harder if you don't have a good understanding for Algebra. Plus, most things you learn in Pre-Cal are given as a aid in Calc I.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
My roommate is a computer science major and all he had to take was the first two quarters of calculus (which is not bad considering I had to take all four quarters along with linear algebra).
The answer depends - Who's paying for your college?
A) Your parents
B) You

A Answer - Drag your sorry ass through that course and make good on your decision instead of wasting your parents time and money. Man up, and live with your choice.

B Answer - Do whatever interests you, but be aware that indecisiveness is a trait that will often bankrupt you FAR quicker than being a musician ever could.

Either way - Make a decision and stick with it.

my parents do not pay for my college neither do i

i have a bright future scholarship that covers my classes then i have financial aid that helps me pay for the books and is money for me to use on gas,food and other stuff i dont want to waste this so i have to keep a good gpa of 3.0 one of the other reasons why im thinking of switching career since math is completely killing me

My roommate is a computer science major and all he had to take was the first two quarters of calculus (which is not bad considering I had to take all four quarters along with linear algebra).

well that depends how well your roommate knows his math. the highest class i took in high school was trigonometry and i barely passed it i forgot most of the stuff when i went to college i had to climb huge math ladder from mat1033>mac1105>mac1147 now im missing mac2311 and mac 2312 which is calculus and analytical geometry plus the classes they will assign at the university which i imagine is harder to the ten power

think carefully about if your career will exist 20 years from now. I have done a few careers that have become obsolete. I was a layout artist...non of them any more, then a photographer (film) then it all went digital and no more money. Pogramming is not too good, unless you think its fun. Try to do something you love and that lasts forever. Only thing for sure is people have to eat.

that is something im already thinking about and other reason why im think of switching.

around my area doesnt look like there is alot of computer programming jobs available

computer programming is usually sent to other countries

every few years they make the computer languanges easier to understand so after a few years maybe everybody will be able to do it just like today alot of people know how to fix their computers and baack then only a few people knew their stuff

but seriouslt i was in a very similar situation two years ago, I chose option 4 and am now studying music full time, but that probably isn't the best option if you don't want to worry about finances in the future.

the music career im still think thinking about it i just need to find one area that makes a fairly decent amount of money that i could live on i dont want to be like the people at that supermarket that they are worry eggs went up in price 2 cents or that bananas are 5 cents expensive or that they cant pay this month rent
living like that totally sucks ass and if i want to reat myself to a nice amp guitar or a nice car or house i want to have that possibility
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I desperately want to drop out of college and join the military. I've just realized how much I hate school recently.

Though I can finish by April next year, so I'm probably going to see it through until then. We'll see what happens afterwards.
Theres more jobs than youd'd think in music. However i'm in the same situation as you. I'm studying music and recently decided it's not what i want to do.

what other jobs are there for music out there? that make a decent amount of money?

I desperately want to drop out of college and join the military. I've just realized how much I hate school recently.

Though I can finish by April next year, so I'm probably going to see it through until then. We'll see what happens afterwards.

school sucks man but joining the military sucks even worse

you are at the mercy of them whatever they tell you and you lose your free speech if you talk shet about the president or stuff like that

any other ideas or suggestions of other careers to explore?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
#3 seems like the best choice if you go into computer repair. There will always be idiots who try to put a cd in a floppy drive or who force USB's into FireWire ports
Ever tried staying after class for help or getting a tutor? A hot tutor that you get to mess around with after study time is over?
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
well i have a similar problem as you do, and im from Florida as well, imagine that!

I would have to tell you that, if you really dont enjoy math, then your probably going to be miserable in a math based carrier. if you decide to try and go for music, you should have something to fall back on, which brings me back around full circle to the problem....what to fall back on? what are somethings you like to do?

im currently struggling with the whole, what i am going to be thing, when, and if i ever figure it all out i will let you know...

good to know im not the only one

best of luck!
Vala: 1987 Stratocaster Plus
Dargie: MM Stingray 5 HS Dargie Delight 1 of 15
Buttercream (for now): Stingray 4 HH ltd. 2005 Buttercream
Rose: Bongo 5 HH Fretless Candy Apple Red

Dargie Delight Aholic of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
#3 seems like the best choice if you go into computer repair. There will always be idiots who try to put a cd in a floppy drive or who force USB's into FireWire ports

i know how to fix computers and things like that but the problem alot of people know how to fix computers as well as i do i have friends that had no one to taught them how and they are very proficient at it i know a little more than then but they still have a very good level and no one taught them how to do it

the hourly pay for being an A+ technician is around 10-15 dollars an hour which is kind of low in my opinion i was thinking of earning more than that

this career doesnt seem like it will last that long for example when computers came out at first it was a good paying job now that computer operating system have become so easy to use most people dont need as much help as they needed before and the hardware is becoming easier and easier to install for example back then plug and play did'nt exist now all computers have plug and play which makes it so easy to install hardware

Ever tried staying after class for help or getting a tutor? A hot tutor that you get to mess around with after study time is over?

i tried going to the tutors but they are so packed that is hard to get help like you have to go up to them and ask them but they are usually helping out alot of other people so it takes a crap load of time to get some help for example you ask how to do #1 they explain it to you yo uare able then to do a few more problems then you get stuck again you have to wait so much. that sometimes im better off researching the stuff and looking help on youtube or in this forum

I would have to tell you that, if you really dont enjoy math, then your probably going to be miserable in a math based carrier. if you decide to try and go for music, you should have something to fall back on, which brings me back around full circle to the problem....what to fall back on? what are somethings you like to do?

i probably would not very good on a math career either since im barely passing and if i passed the class it doesnt mean i know the stuff 100% and that i be able to work and develop programs with the math knowledge i have

for the stuff i like to do

i like to play videogames
play guitar
play sports

but getting a career out of those 3 is very hard

so i dont know what else to do
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
im pretty much in the same position, cept with psychology
all i want to do is play music, and have psyc as a back up plan.
just find a subject you can tolerate, major in it, you might end up even liking it.
i say, go for music!
Originally Posted by master
Yep. It was my birthday and I was wanking in my room and all of a sudden my whole family came jumping in yelling "SURPRISE!!" I guess they were the ones who ended up being surprised.

ahahaah
Are you interested in any other academic subjects? (History, English...uhm...stuff like that?)
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Music is math. You just need to find a teacher that connects with you. Try searching for some tutors.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Are you interested in any other academic subjects? (History, English...uhm...stuff like that?)

i suck at english in writing and is not my 1st languange

i like history im pretty good at it i guess

im pretty much in the same position, cept with psychology
all i want to do is play music, and have psyc as a back up plan.
just find a subject you can tolerate, major in it, you might end up even liking it.
i say, go for music!

how hard is psychology? im not very much a a talktative person so i doubt thats a career for me
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff