1. I am buying my first bass and amp this weekend. I have little knowledge when it comes to basses, bass tone, etc. Could some of you ever so helpful UGer's guide me in the right direction? I play a lot of thrash stuff like Metallica's earlier stuff, Megadeth, Testament, etc. My brands are limited to ESP and Fender basses because those are the only ones the store sells. Alas, I cannot go to another store because of the gift card that has quite a large some of money that i won in a guitar contest. My budget for a bass and amp I hope to keep around $600-$650 tax and all. I would like the amp to be capable of playing in a band setting.

2. I have been playing guitar for a good while now and want to know if this will make it easier to play bass.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Summary: I need help buying a bass and an amp.
Last edited by coryklok at Oct 27, 2008,
Check the FAQ for the best starter gear

[rant]
Also this isn't really towards you, but why to people insist on telling us how long they've played guitar, it dosn't matter. In alot of cases playing guitar actually makes it more difficult to play bass, because it makes you used to the lighter touch and the different playing style.
[/rant]
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'll say this very lightly, since I've only been playing bass for a while. But I'll say I was able to handle my bass a lot better in the first couple of days than my best friend, who has been playing guitar for well over a year. He tried to play it like a guitar, and it wasn't agreeing with him. I was trying to play it like a bass, cause that's all I knew to do.
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel
Quote by ChemicalFire
Check the FAQ for the best starter gear

[rant]
Also this isn't really towards you, but why to people insist on telling us how long they've played guitar, it dosn't matter. In alot of cases playing guitar actually makes it more difficult to play bass, because it makes you used to the lighter touch and the different playing style.
[/rant]

Hahah sorry about that. I was talking about callouses and knowledge of the tuning and theory and stuff like that making it easier to learn how to play bass.
Quote by coryklok
Hahah sorry about that. I was talking about callouses and knowledge of the tuning and theory and stuff like that making it easier to learn how to play bass.

Well the Callouses on your left hand maybe lol, your right hand will still hurt like a bitch.

For $600 your not gonna be able to get a decent ESP or Fender AND an Amp. You'll be looking at a Squier VM or something like and an Ashdown combo of some sort.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well the Callouses on your left hand maybe lol, your right hand will still hurt like a bitch.

For $600 your not gonna be able to get a decent ESP or Fender AND an Amp. You'll be looking at a Squier VM or something like and an Ashdown combo of some sort.

Ah, i see. I guess as long as its not a Behringer amp from what the F.A.Q. says.
Quote by coryklok
Ah, i see. I guess as long as its not a Behringer amp from what the F.A.Q. says.

You read the FAQ ?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? :

You sir, are a genious.

600 bucks, eh?

I'm assuming the store stocks fender amps as well, so I would look at a Bassman 150.

For basses, I would try out everything thing that is in your price range. They're all very different beasts. If possible go used.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 27, 2008,