Page 1 of 2
To be frank, I only know two people on my English cash notes (those people being Charles Darwin and Adam Smith). I was wondering, who actually knows all of the people on our British notes and why they are on there? I'm not one.

There's loads of people who we don't know, or, we just don't like them. For example, I really dislike Adam Smith and I really dislike the Queen. But, who would we replace them with?

Myself, I would put Alan Turing on a note. This guy was a homosexual who worked out the enigma code, the secret code which the Germans used in WWII to send commands to each other, which was apparently unbreakable. He shredded a lot of time off WWII, some people even say up to two years, which could of changed the world dramatically.

However, under Churchill's command, he did not get credit for it as it was top secret. He later killed himself because of his homosexuality, which back then was illegal and considered a mental disorder.

I think an apology and his face on a note would be honourable, even if our country ruined the final stages of his life.

Who would you choose?
Last edited by Craigo at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by Craigo
To be frank, I only know two people on my English cash notes (those people being Charles Darwin and Adam Smith). I was wondering, who actually knows all of the people on our British notes and why they are on there? I'm not one.

There's loads of people who we don't know, or, we just don't like them. For example, I really dislike Adam Smith and I really dislike the Queen. But, who would we replace them with?

Myself, I would put Alan Turing on a note. This guy was a homosexual who worked out the enigma code, the secret code which the Germans used in WWII to send commands to each other, which was apparently unbreakable. He shredded a lot of time off WWII, some people even say up to two years, which could of changed the world dramatically.

However, under Churchill's command, he did not get credit for it as it was top secret. He later killed himself because of his homosexuality, which back then was illegal and considered a mental disorder. He later killed himself.

I think an apology and his face on a note would be honourable, even if our country ruined the final stages of his life.

Who would you choose?

You don't like the Queen? GTFO. The royal family are one of the greatest things about the UK.

I think Jeremy Clarkson deserves a place on a note.

And Andrew Flintoff
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
boris johnson

edit: +1 to clarkson
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Charles Darwin is actually on British money?!?!

That's hilarious!
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Benjamin Zephaniah

Quote by rockhardmetal
How bout this? Freud, huh. huh? A cocaine-addicted GERMAN psychiatrist.

Not eligible for the list.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Dudage

That's hilarious!

+1

And the Brits think we're nuts in the USA.
Quote by Dudage

That's hilarious!

Uh, why?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Supertait
You don't like the Queen? GTFO. The royal family are one of the greatest things about the UK.

Dear God no.
Quote by rockhardmetal
How bout this? Freud, huh. huh? A cocaine-addicted psychiatrist.

Quote by Craigo
He later killed himself because of his homosexuality, which back then was illegal and considered a mental disorder. He later killed himself.
Was he murdered?
Quote by Craigo
He later killed himself because...(text)...He later killed himself.

, he killed himself twice?

I have nothing to contribute, except for the fact that I'd leave notes as they are.
-

Quote by Supertait

If by "greatest" you mean "most useless" then yes, you're right.

I'd personally have William Caxton, he invented the printing press and was one of the first people to start the standardisation of the English language.

Quote by Craigo
He later killed himself because of his homosexuality, which back then was illegal and considered a mental disorder. He later killed himself.

It's a little known fact that all homosexuals are vampires. This is why they can't give blood in the UK.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
On euros you only see some buildings and Europe and a ring of stars and that's it. It's really boring.
I just need about $3.50
(<X.X)O=('.'Q)

I'm the motherflippin'
Quote by Craigo
No idea. I'd love Darwin to appear on some ultra religious country's money though. Would be great.

On this note, the Church Of England published an official apology to Darwin a couple of months ago.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by Dudage

That's hilarious!

Why is that funny?

He came up with a groundbreaking theory. Why shouldn't we honour him.

I don't have a clue who is on our notes. Is Alexander Graham Bell on there at all?
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Dudage

That's hilarious!

He's on the back of a £10 note.

I know Elizabeth Fry is on the back of a Fiver. What she did to gain that coveted spot slips my mind right now, but I know it was something big and important.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
A bunch of white dudes.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by roythereaper
I'd personally have William Caxton, he invented the printing press and was one of the first people to start the standardisation of the English language.

Caxton only brought the printing press to Britain and popularised it.
Guttenberg created the first printing press.

On the back of a Twenty there are blokes playing cricket in front of a church.
Secularisation today should cause that to be abolished. I'd rather have someone like Marlowe or Donne on the back of my Twenty: an English literary figure who dedicated their lives to the arts.

EDIT: Ignore that, on the back of the old Twenty is Edward Elgar. He'll do.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by BlackLuster
He's on the back of a £10 note.

I know Elizabeth Fry is on the back of a Fiver. What she did to gain that coveted spot slips my mind right now, but I know it was something big and important.

Suffragette?
Quote by Renka

I'd put Newton or Brunel on our notes.

I have no idea who Elizabeth Fry and Adam Smith were.

Quote by daniel.mycoe
Peter Sutcliffe

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by OddOneOut
Suffragette?

Christ knows
I think she's older than the Suffagette movement; her birth year and death year are on the Fiver too and I think they're around 1750-1800

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
Caxton only brought the printing press to Britain and popularised it.
Guttenberg created the first printing press.

On the back of a Twenty there are blokes playing cricket in front of a church.
Secularisation today should cause that to be abolished. I'd rather have someone like Marlowe or Donne on the back of my Twenty: an English literary figure who dedicated their lives to the arts.

Ah, of course, I stand corrected. Regardless, he was still one of the early causes of English to become one language instead of a mismatch of completely different dialects.

+1 to Donne, while we're at it. MASSIVE EDIT: If you overlook the fact he was a priest and über religious.
Call me Callum

Quote by BlackLuster
Christ knows
I think she's older than the Suffagette movement; her birth year and death year are on the Fiver too and I think they're around 1750-1800

First thing that springs to mind with the words 'woman' and 'history'

ah bingo
'Elizabeth Fry (née Gurney; 21 May 1780 – 12 October 1845) was an English prison reformer, social reformer and, as a Quaker, a Christian philanthropist.
Fry was a major driving force behind new legislation to make the treatment of prisoners more humane, and she was supported in her efforts by the reigning monarch. Since 2002, she has been depicted on the Bank of England £5 note.'
Ppfff
I'd rather have Emmeline Pankhurst on the fiver.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Oct 27, 2008,
Stev Harris
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
I'd have to make a case for the rarely used/trusted £50 note.
On the back of there is the bloke who was the first govenor of the Bank Of England, and he was a politician.

In my view, politicians should never go on the back of Banknotes

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I've got one of Sir Edward Elgar, an ancestor of mine
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
I'd have to make a case for the rarely used/trusted £50 note.
On the back of there is the bloke who was the first govenor of the Bank Of England, and he was a politician.

In my view, politicians should never go on the back of Banknotes

Quote by roythereaper
Ah, of course, I stand corrected. Regardless, he was still one of the early causes of English to become one language instead of a mismatch of completely different dialects.

+1 to Donne, while we're at it. MASSIVE EDIT: If you overlook the fact he was a priest and über religious.

Yeah we could easily overlook that, especially if you have a silohuette of one of his poems in the background. Something to read if you're dead bored one day?
And +1 to Caxton, he is a foundation of our language.

Quote by OddOneOut
First thing that springs to mind with the words 'woman' and 'history'

ah bingo
'Elizabeth Fry (née Gurney; 21 May 1780 – 12 October 1845) was an English prison reformer, social reformer and, as a Quaker, a Christian philanthropist.
Fry was a major driving force behind new legislation to make the treatment of prisoners more humane, and she was supported in her efforts by the reigning monarch. Since 2002, she has been depicted on the Bank of England £5 note.'
Ppfff
I'd rather have Emmeline Pankhurst on the fiver.

Sounds about right to me, Fry was something along those lines
I'd never have a Suffragette on a note. Sure they got equal rights for women and created some of the first steps to equality (which we're still striving for today). However, the methods of the party will always be shunned, and her accident which caused her death is sometimes seen as "serves you right" rather than "how unfortunate".
I could never see it happening.

Y siempre
Y para siempre

On the back of every pavarotti right now.

Next BB winner gets to go on the 20.
George W. On Every note and coin
██████████████████████████████
I would quite like to see "The Flea" printed onto £10 notes.

Quote by DanRev
Next BB winner gets to go on the 20.

I could see that one happening.
Call me Callum

Quote by DanRev
[Next BB winner gets to go on the 20.

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
I

Sounds about right to me, Fry was something along those lines
I'd never have a Suffragette on a note. Sure they got equal rights for women and created some of the first steps to equality (which we're still striving for today). However, the methods of the party will always be shunned, and her accident which caused her death is sometimes seen as "serves you right" rather than "how unfortunate".
I could never see it happening.

Yeah it would never happen.
Quote by Renka

Eddie. On every single note and coin.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Page 1 of 2