I am looking into getting a distortion pedal to use with a 112 valveking amp. I have no idea whats good and what's not. Im not fussed on price so which is pound for pound the best pedal i can buy ?
why do you want a distortion pedal? what's your budget and what kinds of music do you play?
[quote="'Townson[BTE"]44']Boss metal zone mt-2. do it.
Do not get a MT-2
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
From what I've heard, ithe metal zone not a very diverse pedal, but it doesn't sound bad.
Quote by davidskan1
Don't really have a budget. I want the pedal to play metal mainly.

so, why did you buy a valveking when your going to use a pedal for distortion?
then that defeats the purpose of your amp...if your not happy with the tone, it might be time to get a new amp
i don't really understand the big backlash against distortion pedals in here, some distortion pedals are good. it's certainly not a crime to use a distortion pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true, but when it's a valveking, i tend to get a little frustrated

edit: but if you do want a suggestion for an overdrive pedal, what kind of metal do you play?
Last edited by Ghold125 at Oct 27, 2008,
yeah, i know, it does seem a little daft to cheap out on the amp then say the pedal budget doesn't matter, but maybe he bought the amp a while back when money was tight, and he has a bit more now (but not enough to stretch to a new amp)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I suggest a Boss Metal Core it has a much warmer, much less digital sound than the Metal Zone. Especially when running through a tube amp the Metal Core kicks serious ass. But it can only do Metal and above. Blues is not in it's array, but you'll will probably handle the crunchy sound you need for that.
Then again I don't know what music you play, but the Metal Core is great and the Metal Zone is quite bad. And it has way to much controls.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
yeah, i know, it does seem a little daft to cheap out on the amp then say the pedal budget doesn't matter, but maybe he bought the amp a while back when money was tight, and he has a bit more now (but not enough to stretch to a new amp)...

Hit the nail on the head
^why, alot of Distortion pedals will sound better trough the valveking trough the clean channel, than the actuall preamp distortion it carries.
If you think an ov would be better, i play alot of metallica and Rage against the machine.
look if your ganna get a distortion pedal or overdirve for metal i dont know how you can do any better than the Tmiranda for 200$.
Zvex Box Of Metal is great. The keeley modded Metal Zone is pretty good. Could you set the valve king up for a metal sound? then add a tubescremaer type overdrive (like K.Hammet does/did) for lead work?

HotRox in nottingham always has a good selection of the boutique/modded pedals.
Take a look at Wampler on youtube.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by davidskan1
I am looking into getting a distortion pedal to use with a 112 valveking amp. I have no idea whats good and what's not. Im not fussed on price so which is pound for pound the best pedal i can buy ?

I'll probably get bashed for this saying this, but the EBS MultiDrive pedal is supposted to be great for Guitar and Bass

www.ebssweden.com
Hey,

I bought a Danelectro Black Coffee Metal Distortion pedal yesterday. Very good, heavy metal tone. Honestly, I freakin' love it. ($45.00)

Just my 2 cents...
i'd definetely try getting a cheap OD and using it with the amp's distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.