Page 1 of 2
Considering all the pricing and specs and what not, what would you recommend? I'm really leaning towards an Apple laptop but I want to make sure its worth the extra money its probably going to be.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Don't really need a mac unless your a musician or doing graphic design.
depends. my bro has a macbook pro and doesnt even use it because he doesnt play guitar anymore and isnt into graphics and only does some school work on it
Quote by CoreyM.

this.

i got a Macbook pro (doing contemp. media) and it suckssss, i think its just a lemon (i.e. dead pixels, sound card quit after a week etc.)

Pc's are still full of win, win xp that is
What the second guy said. If you are doing artwork or want to have a nice little thing to organize your music get a mac.

But....You you want to do everything get a PC. Mac are easier to use but not as versatile.

And there is nothing wrong with Vista anymore despite the dumbass Mac commercials. I just put Vista x64 on a 3 year old machine and it runs like a champ. Every since SP1 Vista is ace. I have it on the machine I am using to post this message. It is fine.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Im in the same problem, i love macs but hardly anything is compatible to work with them, could i get a MAc and also have windows installed on it?
/CENTER]
imo,

XP>MAC>VISTA

enjoy.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by CoreyM.
Exactly.

A windows laptop will be sufficient for an average student's needs.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by Liam Alan
Mac are easier to use but not as versatile.

epic wrong

Quote by pl0x
could i get a MAc and also have windows installed on it?

yes you can, which is WHY a Mac is more versatile, A Mac can run Windows, Windows can run any other operating system, and you can switch between Operating systems with the swoosh of your mouse and have both running at the same time

buy then you need to buy windows so thats another $200 on top of your $2000 computer
Just get a Macbook, and if money isn't tight, install Windows on it and have the best of both worlds.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by tands
epic wrong

Explain. I network Mac's into a PC domain. We have about 10 macs at our office. When you install programs you have to use the local account. You log in as a admin but can't add anything without the local user account. It is really weird. You can't even add a local admin to the administrator's group. (From what I have found) So explain to me how they ARE vesitile and how I am epically wrong. Please.

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by Liam Alan
Explain. I network Mac's into a PC domain. We have about 10 macs at our office. When you install programs you have to use the local account. You log in as a admin but can't add anything without the local user account. It is really weird. You can't even add a local admin to the administrator's group. (From what I have found) So explain to me how they ARE vesitile and how I am epically wrong. Please.

Because Macs are white in colour and therefore you are guilty of racial discrimination.
Quote by LordBishek
Because Macs are white in colour and therefore you are guilty of racial discrimination.

Hey we have black Dells and Hp and White Macs here. We are diverse mate!

Quote by Liam Alan
Hey we have black Dells and Hp and White Macs here. We are diverse mate!

How PC. Geddit? PC?
Quote by LordBishek
How PC. Geddit? PC?

*Badum-ching*

Quote by Liam Alan

i did, its in that same post, SWOOSH OF A MOUSE BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS!

a mac can be a pc, so to argue a pc is better then a mac simply doesnt work since a mac can be a pc you cant argue pc is better then pc
Quote by tands
i did, its in that same post, SWOOSH OF A MOUSE BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS!

a mac can be a pc, so to argue a pc is better then a mac simply doesnt work since a mac can be a pc you cant argue pc is better then pc

Yeah, if you use Boot Camp or Parrallels. They again we are looking at ease of use. Does everyone know how to do this? No. Also Macs have one button mice. How does this figure in when running PC OS'? I am curious. I am not even saying your wrong. Just looking at your rational when you just type epic wrong and only give you can run both OS. (By the way PC's can run MAC OS' as well. Using extra software...just like a Mac)

it all depends on the use. im going for graphic design so i bought a macbook pro.
"It's fun until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious."
Quote by Liam Alan
Because Steve said so. If Steve didn't put these features in, you obviously dont need them. Hasn't year on year of his talks of truth taught you a single thing?
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
Quote by Liam Alan
Yeah, if you use Boot Camp or Parrallels. They again we are looking at ease of use. Does everyone know how to do this? No. Also Macs have one button mice. How does this figure in when running PC OS'? I am curious. I am not even saying your wrong. Just looking at your rational when you just type epic wrong and only give you can run both OS. (By the way PC's can run MAC OS' as well. Using extra software...just like a Mac)

not everyone knows how to ride a bike, doesnt mean you cant learn

ACTUALLY, if you plug in a double click mouse into a Mac guess what...it still works, BOTH clickers do, so really the mouse thing makes 0 diff, i use a dell mouse and I can Left Click and Right click the same as I can on XP,

i didnt know PC could run and switch between two operating systems, guess there is no difference then...
Quote by Liam Alan

The mighty mouse actually has two buttons... you just can't seem 'em. I have an imac 2.4 ghz 2 gb ram and it's great. I have boot camp installed and I can even play crysis (on medium specs).
Apples are really really overpriced and overrated. Like that dude said, you dont need a mac unless youre doing music or graphic design on it.

I use HP computers. I 100% recommend them. I have an HP custom that cost me $1200 for the same features that a macbook would have for $2000. I love my HP, have had no problems with it (aside from the new Internet Explorer being kinda gay), but they make amazing computers and their unbeatably reasonable for what you get. HP!
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by tands
not everyone knows how to ride a bike, doesnt mean you cant learn

ACTUALLY, if you plug in a double click mouse into a Mac guess what...it still works, BOTH clickers do, so really the mouse thing makes 0 diff, i use a dell mouse and I can Left Click and Right click the same as I can on XP,

i didnt know PC could run and switch between two operating systems, guess there is no difference then...

Oh yeah, when I have a Dell mouse on a KVM I use it on Macs and the right click works. But for the most part I was answering the question based on a guy buying a computer with left over college money. Not a guy that can afford boot camp, full version of XP or Vista and how to set up dual operating systems on a Mac. I guess I should have said out of the box a PC is more versatile. Is that better?

I own a mac, I love it, and I wouldn't get a PC in its place, but I'm going to recommend that you get a PC.

First of all, Macs take time to get used to. You don't want to be figuring out your new computer while you're trying to get work turned in.
Secondly, the main thing you're going to be using your laptop for during school will be word documents and the like. Sometimes word documents on a mac will have odd shifts or changes in them when transferred to a PC, so trying to get your mac to survive in the inevitable PC environment of your school will be slightly more annoying than just buying a PC.
Thirdly, Macs shine when used for multimedia purposes, such as recording music and the like. If you had even mentioned this aspect in your decision of what computer to get, I might recommend a Mac, but since it's obviously not something that's big on your mind, there's no point in getting one. A PC will work just fine for your needs, will not require any downloaded programs to accomplish your average goals, and will be familiar to you from the get go. Besides, just because all the Mac bashing isn't true, that doesn't mean Macs are really superior to PC's. PC's are just as good in their own way, so buying a Mac just because people say they're great doesn't really make sense. Go with what you're familiar with.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
I own a mac, I love it, and I wouldn't get a PC in its place, but I'm going to recommend that you get a PC.

First of all, Macs take time to get used to. You don't want to be figuring out your new computer while you're trying to get work turned in.
Secondly, the main thing you're going to be using your laptop for during school will be word documents and the like. Sometimes word documents on a mac will have odd shifts or changes in them when transferred to a PC, so trying to get your mac to survive in the inevitable PC environment of your school will be slightly more annoying than just buying a PC.
Thirdly, Macs shine when used for multimedia purposes, such as recording music and the like. If you had even mentioned this aspect in your decision of what computer to get, I might recommend a Mac, but since it's obviously not something that's big on your mind, there's no point in getting one. A PC will work just fine for your needs, will not require any downloaded programs to accomplish your average goals, and will be familiar to you from the get go. Besides, just because all the Mac bashing isn't true, that doesn't mean Macs are really superior to PC's. PC's are just as good in their own way, so buying a Mac just because people say they're great doesn't really make sense. Go with what you're familiar with.

You know, you've just restored a little of my long lost faith in mac users. Never again will I be stupid enough to stereotype them and assume they're obnoxious elitists.
Quote by LordBishek
I'm pissed off by Macfags. That's why I recommend Ubuntu

what the hell's "Ubuntu"

by the way, get a mac
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

if it were possible, I would sig this. this spews wisdom and awesome. you, sir, are my new UG hero. expect my friend invitation within a fortnight.
i have a windows... but i'd get a mac.. my mates have them and they look awesome.. and are loads better than windows laptops.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by LordBishek
And now it's gone again.

At least it was nice while it lasted?

But seriously, if you're footing the bill for your own laptop, do yourself a favor and get a PC. Unless you really need the multimedia stuff, you'll probably have a hell of a hard time justifying the price markup.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Macs are nice. I have one, since my parents agreed to buy me a laptop when I went off to college 'cause they didn't have to put any money towards tuition. But once this thing bites the dust, I'll be buying myself a PC.

Also, since you seem to be going to college: should you choose to get a Mac, and you want to Boot Camp it (and why the hell wouldn't you?), see if you can get a deal on XP or Vista through your college. I know my college sells 'em to students for like eight bucks a pop, maybe yours gives a similar deal on software for students?
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Apple Laptop: Glorified Ipod.

Give it 3 weeks and it'll be inferior to a newer, slimmer and different colour macbook.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Page 1 of 2