Poll: F 50 or Jcm 800
Poll Options
View poll results: F 50 or Jcm 800
Mesa F 50
16 53%
Marshall Jcm 800
14 47%
Voters: 30.
This is an epic battle, but which amp is more bang for your buck? Do they sound similair, I'm looking for an amp to pair with an od to get some heavy tones (zakk wylde, metallica)!!!

ty
They are very different beasts. The f-50 is gonna have very nice fender cleans, and the gain is gonna sound very american (like a cross between the recto and the mark series), on it's own it can easily do anything from a light crunch to death metal type saturation.

The JCM defines 80s hard rock and you'll be hard pressed to find a band that didn't use these at some point. If you want modern tones you'll probably be boosting it. JCM800 cranked + an OD will give you instant megadeath tones.

I'd say try them both and take your pick.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
id take the marshall,
the crunch on the Mesa sounds a bit thin to me compared to the 800.
The 800 is the ballsiest, most orgasmic amp ever.

I'm a little biased I just love my 800
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Yes I have. I still slightly prefer the 800. Don't get me wrong, the Splawn sounded great, but I have very selective tastes in tones and the 800 hits it right on the noggin for me.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
How is the marshall dsl 401? I tried it once with a crappy guitar and found it wasnt superb...does it compare to any of these amps?
Metallica tones?

Man, the F-series is like metallica in a box, seriously, it takes about 5 seconds to get any metallica tone. Go for the F-50...
Quote by vitchb
Metallica tones?

Man, the F-series is like metallica in a box, seriously, it takes about 5 seconds to get any metallica tone. Go for the F-50...

Metallica was using Marshall before Mesa. They started using Mesa in the early 90's. correct me if Im wrong.
For Zakk Wylde, definitely the 800 as that's the amp he uses.

For Metallica, depends what era. They used the 800s as well as a few Mesas, which the F series can get close to the tone of those.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you wanna throw an OD in front of the amp and just wail away, The JCM 800 will get you that old school sound.

If you want something more versatile, and with more onboard gain, get the F-50.

That being said, they're apples and oranges. The 800 will give you more of a Wylde tone (Warmer, vintage voiced), and the F-50 will get you a better Metallica tone (More gain, modern voiced)
Quote by Devilman2020
Metallica was using Marshall before Mesa. They started using Mesa in the early 90's. correct me if Im wrong.

They did use Marshall before Mesa, but they've used Mesa since Master of Puppets with the II C+
Quote by Devilman2020

Yes you're right, very early metallica were using marshalls, and then just before puppets they got their mesa's, and used them in conjunction with the old marshalls for a while. But still, whatever the era, the F-50 could pull off their tone, but will do later stuff a bit better...
I love the F50. I'm trying to find one.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by vitchb
Yes you're right, very early metallica were using marshalls, and then just before puppets they got their mesa's, and used them in conjunction with the old marshalls for a while. But still, whatever the era, the F-50 could pull off their tone, but will do later stuff a bit better...

Yeah out of those 2 amps if you had to pick one to do Metallica you would definately pick the Mesa.