Hello, i am new to the forums, though have used this website for years.
I have read many post about how bad the MGfX, and Spider Amps are
and i was hoping to get some good info on a new amp i should buy.

i have two guitars, a squire strat and an Ibanez (i dont know what modle any more as i let my friend borrow it to record), but the point is they are entry level guitars.
I was looking to get a new guitar, but after research here on the forums i see many of you tell people to just get new amps.

The amp i have right now is a Fender Frontman 15G, which i run through a Digitech
DF-7 Distortion Factory. I am looking at getting a Tube Amp, one being the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which i tried out at GC, and fell in love. But i was hoping the forums would help me select between other Tube amps, as i only tried out the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I like to play a medly of music, from BB King to Paul Gilbert, Eagles to Pantera, Steely dan and Steve Via. I dont consider myself a novice anymore, though i still have alot to learn.

thank you all in andvance for any help here.
What's your budget? Is versatility important or would you rather have an amp that does your favorite tones best, but still have the ability to do others?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well, my budget would be 900 bucks, give or take a few hundred.
I would like something that is versatiel, i guess the most important to that i would like to get easly would be a classic rock sound, like driven blues (eagles, led zep).
but i i could i would go with one that can give it to me all, i dont want to limit myself to a single sound.
That's a healthy budget, definitely at the range where I wouldn't look at the HRD. I'd take a look at the mesa rectoverb combos, they can do it all, though I don't think blues will turn out the best. The mesa lonestar is a good amp for blues and classic rock, but you aren't gonna be playing metal with it. You could always get a blues jr (used) for blues and classic rock and a krank rev jr for metal.

Also, I forget to ask, are you gonna be gigging?

Edit: Also, orange if you can find it, the tiny terror is great for classic rock and I've heard people do metal with it, though you'd need a boost. Check out the marshall tsl and dsl, I don't like them, but you might. If you can go used the mesa f and dc series can do everything that you want, but you aren't stuck with the typical recto tone.
oh, yes, i forgot to say, well im looking for a good practice amp, though i might be gigging with it eventually... im not in a band, more of a hobbyist.
best thing i could say is something with medium power... dont know it that nerrows things down much.

thanks kevin for all the info, ill look into all those amps.
^I stand by all my suggestion then, though the mesa recto and lonestar would be a bit much at home its still doable.

The krank rev jr, tiny terror, and blues jr are all 15-20 watts and probably wouldn't have enough power to have crystal clear cleans at gigging volumes, though the tiny terror and the bj will have that nice driven blues sound you like at those volumes.
another thing, how would these amps do with the effect pedal i have.
also since i will be using single coils for a while, how would there do with hum?
thanks
No offense, but I'd forget about that pedal. Also, you aren't gonna do metal without a humbucker, so I'd think about maybe swapping the bridge pup of your guitar for a humbucker of some sorts. If you use lots of gain with a SC you're gonna get lots of hum, but I don't think it will be unbearable.
i was looking at some vid of the tiny terror and it looks vary vary nice!
its got a good classic rock, driven bues tone just buy its self, but i guess a boost pedle would be needed for metal.

yes i understand i would need a new guitar, i dont want to change anything on my strat as its my first. how does this sound, a epiphone les paul standard with new pickups. im a big Eric Johnson fan, n i freakin love his tone, but i dont know if his custom Dimarzio DP211 EJ pickups were any good?
Eh, I'd get the guitar first and see how you like the pups it comes with, epis don't have great pups, but you may like them. Never heard of the sig pups, but I always say be wary of sig gear.
ya, i get u, i never heard of them till i tried looking for some new pickups, well
thanks for all the info Kevin, i really appreciate it.
yes its true epis dont come with the best pups, but better than most guitars out of the box, including low end fenders.
also look into Egnater rebels, ive tried both and i liked the egnater better, there both great but personal preference is pointing me towards the egnator.
Tiny Terrors are great for what you want to do. Kevin is right about that, as usual. The Egnator came out recently and (as I predicted) there are Tiny Terrors all over craigslist. Two on my local site in the past month and I rarely saw them prior. I have not tried the Rebel yet - looking forward to it. Some reviews are very positive, others think meh...
Also a decent HH guitar would be in order soon.
thanks guys, i was just looking at were i could get a tiny terror n found only one shop right next to the guitar center i go too, but im also ganna try creigslist.
I will most likely get a new guitar soon, n i lust for a les paul, do the epi's have good quality? should i shell out alittle more n get a custom or the standard?

Quick Question about the Tiny Terror, would it be better to get a head and cabinet or the combo?
Quote by gregs1020
Tiny Terrors are great for what you want to do. Kevin is right about that, as usual. The Egnator came out recently and (as I predicted) there are Tiny Terrors all over craigslist. Two on my local site in the past month and I rarely saw them prior. I have not tried the Rebel yet - looking forward to it. Some reviews are very positive, others think meh...
Also a decent HH guitar would be in order soon.

I tend to lean this way, but don't let my opinion sway you, all the workers at gc were drooling over this thing. They about crucified me when I said I didn't like it.

Quote by LeninL
thanks guys, i was just looking at were i could get a tiny terror n found only one shop right next to the guitar center i go too, but im also ganna try creigslist.
I will most likely get a new guitar soon, n i lust for a les paul, do the epi's have good quality? should i shell out alittle more n get a custom or the standard?

Quick Question about the Tiny Terror, would it be better to get a head and cabinet or the combo?

I've heard good things about the custom, more so than the standard, I'm not a fan of gibson epiphone in general so I can't comment.

I don't know if the combo is even out in the US, but either way, the had and cab will probably be easier to fine and still basically the same thing.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I tend to lean this way, but don't let my opinion sway you, all the workers at gc were drooling over this thing. They about crucified me when I said I didn't like it.

I remember you saying that. It surprised me, us amplifiles...

TS - There is a love/hate thing with Epi's and Gibby's around here. I prefer the Japanese counterparts. Edwards, Tokai, Agile etc. You get better pick ups stock, build quality is very good IMO and cost is a bit more reasonable...
Quote by gregs1020
I remember you saying that. It surprised me, us amplifiles...

TS - There is a love/hate thing with Epi's and Gibby's around here. I prefer the Japanese counterparts. Edwards, Tokai, Agile etc. You get better pick ups stock, build quality is very good IMO and cost is a bit more reasonable...

Ampifiles, nice.
that makes us sound like we rape amps or something.

I saw the Egnater the other day when I went. I'll admit it looks very promising, but they didn't let me try it. Being 15 sucks sometimes. I get no respect at GC and they seem to think I'm there to play Smoke on the Water on full volume, on an MG. They also seem to think I plan on breaking all the nice amps. I like Epiphones and Gibson's just fine. Easier to get then the Japanese copies imo, and really, I prefer to mod my guitars anyway. so whatever happens, i get a good guitar.
^The rebels aren't even that expensive, what douches.
I know. I just try to be as respectful as possible and keep the volume down. I just improve some blues stuff. No Eruption, or Stairway. I try to keep it classy. The only way they let me play models that aren't out on the floor is if I show them I have money.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Ampifiles, nice.
that makes us sound like we rape amps or something.

We don't?
<.<.

.>.>

And I agree, I put some SD's in a LP copy (ARC300) and I love the frigging crap outta that thing now.
^What a load of crap, just try to find a salesperson who isn't a douche and always use him.
I don't know, I was just checking with you guys before I revealed that kind of info
To Gregs

but Kevin, yeah, I don't go there a ton, so it's hard sometimes. Plus, the one I go to is in the middle of Manhattan, so, it's hard to develop any relationship
Last edited by mcrfobtai at Oct 27, 2008,