how diffacult is it to make one?
and how much does it cost?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
depends on what kind of speakers you put install into it.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
well id prob throw in two celestrial or however u spell it
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
warehouse speakers has some nice clones that are cheaper than their celestion counterparts

and the hardest part will be the actual planning. the building is easy peasy
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
yes, the measurements are the hard part. you can take good wood, good construction, and good speakers but make a cab with dimensions that just wont sound good, so research first. and for 300 dollars a new avatar or used from craigslist are still options.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
cost me about 200$ to make a 2x12. wood was 40-50$, vinyl was 9$, grillcloth was 6$, handles were 20$, casters totaled to 20$, jackplate was under 10$, speaker wire was 8$, the little speaker clips were under 1$, the speakers were free because I has them laying around, screws were 4-6$ or so, I had to buy a crappy drill, that was 30$. Maybe some other random stuff here and there.

The cost of the materials + what the speakers would have cost would have made it worth it to just get a cheap used cab or an avatar. But if you have some of the parts sitting around not doing anything, go for it.
look in the guitar building forum...theres a cab thread in there, has lotsa good info

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You probably won't save a lot of money from building a cab; I built my 2x12 because I could get some of the materials needed for free. Still cost me around £150ish. (Well, I got the speakers for my birthday, so technically it didnt cost that much at all, but its a rough estimate).
If you have to go buy all the materials and the speakers it will probably cost more than a ready made cabinet.
Quote by weetadsftw
depends on what kind of speakers you put install into it.

terribly wrong - its actually way more to do with the construction and dimensions from the cab - manufacturers are only just about getting it right these days.

It is nigh on impossible to make your own cab which will sound good - it is cheaper to buy one - even if it has to be a H.B
^ unless you copy the dimensions of a well voiced cab... Also, I thought this was more applicable to bass cabs than guitar cabs? Obviously, I'm not saying that it doesn't apply to guitar cabs, but to quote from the cab building thread:

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Guitar cabs are relatively easy as most of the energy is > 300 Hz. At that point, you're just dealing with building a rigid enclosure, something that won't fall apart.

Quote by power freak
To carry on the point the most famous guitar cabinet in history (the Marshall 4 x 12) was to designed to be the smallest possible size that the 4 speakers can fit in!

But it's true, unless you have access to cheap/free materials, then it's probably going to be cheaper to actually buy a cab. It will also have more re-sale value than a self made one.
Quote by Mathamology
^ unless you copy the dimensions of a well voiced cab... Also, I thought this was more applicable to bass cabs than guitar cabs? Obviously, I'm not saying that it doesn't apply to guitar cabs, but to quote from the cab building thread:

Ok - so you get the exact wood, have it perfectly tolexed, engraved and handles with a nice mesh - then you have the speakers plus a hefty amount of work and various extras?

I'll take the 2nd hand perfect cond. Orange cab on ebay for £250-300 thanks!

And you cab won't have been tested to the max. - GUARANTEED it will not sound as good as the equivalent.
^ You make a fair point, but I've been saying all along that you might as well buy a cab rather than make one yourself.

Although, it's not nigh on impossible to make a cab yourself that will sound good; the extra expenses you mentioned were cosmetic, not tonal (apart from the wood - though not as tonally important in a cab as in, say, a guitar body).

Tested? If it's the same dimensions, then surely you're copying a tried and tested cabinet. Testing in that case is somewhat irrelevant, as all testing has already been done by the company who made it. Sure, you won't have the same hardware, so durability tests won't really be relevant, but the tonal/voicing tests should still stand - providing you use the same speakers.

Still, I'm not suggesting at all that the threadstarter should make his own cab instead of buying one, as buying a decent cab second hand is cheaper than making your own. And as I said, a named cab has more re-sale value.

I just disagree that it's nigh on impossible to make a good sounding cab yourself.

If you already have tools, building your own cab is much cheaper.

Mine cost around £140 to build, and I made a second (better) cab for only another £60 with the remaining materials.

However, if you don't have access to power tools, the total cost will be much greater.

See my thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863806
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis