I was wondering what some of the difference in sound are between these two amps. I was playing the deluxe 40watt version the other day and liked it, but i couldnt quite crank it up and play continually as i was in a store. I play with a Strat for more or less everything: jazz, blues, rock, some occasional metal. The last time i played with our band, i had my Marshall vs102r (100watt solid state) turned up to be about 9 and really couldnt quite reach over everyone else for my solos. This leads me to believe that a: my hearing is going b: i probably need the deville 212 60watt amp to maintain punch for solos.

The problem is that there dont appear to be as many of the 60's going up for sale on ebay or craigslist compared to the 40's, and they are generally much more expensive. I suppose i could always mic it, but that doesnt seem right...

My budget is 300-550us, but would prefer to spend less if possible.
Watt =/= Volume

That Hot Rod Deluxe, is so much louder then the 100w SS you will not believe it.

The HRD is an awesome amp, my cousin uses it and he is quite frankly the best damn guitar player I've heard live. It's an awesome amp, from my experience (I jammed with it) it sound stunning. I'd much rather get that then the Deville.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Oct 27, 2008,
The HRD is for blues and cleans, it doesn't do classic rock all that well and metal is totally out of the question. Whats your budget?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by THEKID546

Not for blues and jazz.

It all comes down to prioritizing here.
Quote by JilaX^
Watt =/= Volume

That Hot Rod Deluxe, is so much louder then the 100w SS you will not believe it.

The HRD is an awesome amp, my cousin uses it and he is quite frankly the best damn guitar player I've heard live. It's an awesome amp, from my experience (I jammed with it) it sound stunning. I'd much rather get that then the Deville.

I have a HRD..and it's cleans are amazing, but the gain won't go much further than dirty blues, so if you really need the cleans that much, an od pedal would be a good idea

Oh..and it's ****ing loud. I don't really need to go over 2 when playing with a drummer, and the damn thing goes to 12!

If you play more rock/metal than blues/jazz, and don't want to invest in pedals look somewhere else
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

^It doesn't get much louder after 2, it has a stupid linear pot that makes the amp seem like it has more power than it does. It's loud, but maybe not as loud as you think.
if your mainly into blues and jazz, id have to say if you want a really good quality amp other than the HRD youd have to look into
1.)Ampeg reverbarocket

and

2.)A vox AC30

also HRD's are very, very nice.
God i really love amps that were built for blues like these, there real tone monsters.
Quote by tincho729
I have a HRD..and it's cleans are amazing, but the gain won't go much further than dirty blues, so if you really need the cleans that much, an od pedal would be a good idea

Oh..and it's ****ing loud. I don't really need to go over 2 when playing with a drummer, and the damn thing goes to 12!

If you play more rock/metal than blues/jazz, and don't want to invest in pedals look somewhere else

So basically, if i pony up for some pedals after a few months, i should atleast be able to reproduce metal sounds on par with my Marshal VS102 you think? I like a good solid clean, think a lot of Clapton stuff.

Thanks for the help all!
you could also check out a peavey classic 30 or 50. the 50 is essentially a fender deville, but the gain channel has a lot more crunch to it. i haven't personally tried a c30, but i imagine that they're pretty similar. classic 50s run new about the same price, but usually go used for cheap.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
you could also check out a peavey classic 30 or 50. the 50 is essentially a fender deville, but the gain channel has a lot more crunch to it. i haven't personally tried a c30, but i imagine that they're pretty similar. classic 50s run new about the same price, but usually go used for cheap.

thats a good idea. A friend had a 30 and i always liked the sound. How is the sustain on the 50?
Quote by Kevin Saale
^It doesn't get much louder after 2, it has a stupid linear pot that makes the amp seem like it has more power than it does. It's loud, but maybe not as loud as you think.

yeah, you're right..it just seems like it because it get really loud really fast..

it probably doesn't get much loude after 4 or 5 though..when i play at 2, i can easily play over a drummer..when i get to 4 things start to tremble and fall from the walls
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

^Yeah, they aren't bad amps, just a few design flaws (like putting the powertubes right in the speaker's line of fire)
Quote by Kevin Saale

true
but i dont htink its linear. if it was linear the volume would change evenly as its turned up.
No, audio taper pots make turning volume up sound even, fender uses linear pots to make their amps seem louder and to be vintage correct, which is just stupid since whether the pot is audio or linear doesn't affect how it sounds.
Quote by tincho729
yeah, you're right..it just seems like it because it get really loud really fast..

it probably doesn't get much loude after 4 or 5 though..when i play at 2, i can easily play over a drummer..when i get to 4 things start to tremble and fall from the walls

so you can play over a drummer, but what about another guitarist (sometimes two) and bass player?
Why are we questioning if a 40w all tube amp can be heard in a band situation?

a 15w all tube amp can be heard in a band situation. 40w just makes it push harder and have more headroom.

I've played my HRD in massive venues, you just need a mic if its bigger than a medium club.