Hey
So, I doubt you saw my thread, but to cut a long story short, while I'm waiting for a band, I decided to try out being a solo artist. Currently, I have two quite poppy songs, one of which has a slightly reggae vibe. Unfortunately, the region already has one acoustic pop artist and a very popular reggae band. So I think I have to emphasise my blues and classic rock influences more. The problem is, AC/DC-style riffs don't really work without a rhythm section, which is why I'm thinking about the blues.

Now, here's my question. All I can think of in terms of blues songwriting is the 12-bar blues, or those songs where the lead guitarist sings and plays little lead fills, while the rest of the band actually plays the meat of the song.

Can you help me with writing songs in a bluesy style?
listen to SRV. be inspired. write ur own shit.
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
try some robert johnson for inspiration
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by wicket_nirvana

Very Helpful. Dick.

I don't want a song written for me, I just need help writing in a blues style. I write "my own shit" and it either comes out hard or soft rock. Rarely blues, except for the solos.
Listen to the old bluesmen, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, and guys like that.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
Robert Johnson was a very accomplished, unacompanied blues player...and I know this is going to get me knocked, listen to Neon by John Mayer.
The blues is all about feeling, if you write blues songs because you THINK you should write blues songs, they won't be as good as if you WANTED to and it came naturally, which it apparently doesn't.
Quote by wicket_nirvana

Yeah, because SRV is the only guy who ever played the blues. Yes, he is great, but there are tons of other bluesmen besides him. The three Kings, Albert Collins, the others mentioned....the list is endless.

At any rate, John Lee Hooker played solo a lot, and his playing was heavily built on rhythm, but he did it without a band behind him anyway. The point is, don't be afraid to go out and play songs solo that would also sound great with a band.

A good song is a good song, and it will shine through no matter how it is performed. When you go onstage alone, the audience will already understand the limitations of being a one man act and cut you some slack in that regard. So don't be afraid to play an original or cover (albeit possibly with a slightly different arrangement alone) solo because you don't have backing. If it is done well, people will respond in kind.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
At him^^

That's good to know, I think I'll focus on covering blues songs for now, and hopefully, my own style will come from that.
Tune to either open G or open D, grab a slide and let rip. Listen to the old Delta artists like Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton et al and copy - er, I mean be inspired by them.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.