i have a couple of questions about a Peavey 5150 Head Unit.
the first is : im buying a Peavey 5150 Head unit off someone i know, its a Block Letter model [possibly MKII]. im buying it for 600 AU, which might be around 450-500 US. It has 2 broken tubes, im suspecting its the 6L6 ones.

I've been quoted all different amounts for egtting this fixed. as far as i know, it just needs new tubes, then they need to be biased.
how much will it cost for me to get those 2 tubes replaced and biased [ive already found a guy who'd do it, but he couldnt give me a price].

my other questions is, just out of curiosity... is this a good deal? ive seen these heads go for 1500+ on ebay, so 600 for a 5150 with 2 broken tubes sounds good.
That's a good deal. If it's the power tubes I would replace all four of them at the same time with a matched quad. The amp technically doesn't needed to be biased since the bias is set very cold form the factory, but it wouldn't hurt to have a tech install a bias so you can get the best tone to power tube life ratio out of the amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
buy it the tubes arnt hard to relace im sure you might be able to do it the tubes will probs be like 30 bucks but im not too sure but man its a 5150 if i could i would do anything for one of thos
stew
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
Quote by stew91
buy it the tubes arnt hard to relace im sure you might be able to do it the tubes will probs be like 30 bucks but im not too sure but man its a 5150 if i could i would do anything for one of thos
stew

Is that even english?
You can't bias the 5150 unless the tech is going to mod it, otherwise all you have to do is get new tubes, pull the old ones out and put the new ones in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Martindecorum
Good deal mate, and with the price difference in america these days they would be paying 400 for. good find ask if u can play for a bit on it

cant play on it at the moment. 2 of the tubes are busted, so no sound comes out [audbile sound anyway].
i have played it before though. its a great sounding head.
also, another question.
the reviews ive read all say its a 120 watt head. im planning to use a 100 watt quad with it, is that going to be alright? or should i buy the 5150 box off the guy as well? even though i liek the sound my speakers give [the peavey ones sound muddy]
^It'll be fine, just don't crank the amp.
also, some of you guys are saying its eays to replace tubes by yourself...
the guy i spoke to about replacing tubes told me all this crap about rebiasing etc... so if i buy tubes that are the same type as the busted ones [either 12ax7 or 6L6] will i be able to just pop the new tubes in?
^Yes, though I'd still consider having someone mod the amp for a bias pot and test point so you could bias is properly. The amp is biased so cold from the factory that you probably won't be able to find a set of tubes that will run hot in it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Yes, though I'd still consider having someone mod the amp for a bias pot and test point so you could bias is properly. The amp is biased so cold from the factory that you probably won't be able to find a set of tubes that will run hot in it.

k. well i have no idea what advantages, disadvantages, and the differences between hot and cold tubes are... so i'll just get the tube repair dude to do his thing, and maybe ask him about a few things as well.
thanks for the help guys.. although any other info is still appreciated

Edit: this is also my first tube amp. so as far as im concerned, im getting a good start =]
Quote by geek_core
k. well i have no idea what advantages, disadvantages, and the differences between hot and cold tubes are... so i'll just get the tube repair dude to do his thing, and maybe ask him about a few things as well.
thanks for the help guys.. although any other info is still appreciated

Edit: this is also my first tube amp. so as far as im concerned, im getting a good start =]

you are man, 600 aint bad, in my other post i stated how i just got one of these myself for 500....and i also need some tube work, but i have played it with the current tubes, and it is cruuunchy....its my 2nd tube amp (i have a valveking 100w too), but its just a much better distortion (yes i know, as it should be), but aside from the better tone, im not getting the flub out of my speakers i was getting with a lot of gain from my VK. Anyhow, have fun with it....im hoping to!