i posted this thread in the pit because its kind of a cross between a relationship thing and a chord thing but the mods being all annoying and underhanded closed it and dindnt tell me why so i assume they wanted me to post it here. anyway heres the thing, a girl wants me to write a song for her. i want to write a dreamy sounding instrumental with Arpeggiated CHords and stuff, the problem is chord theory is my Biggest Weakness by far. the only chords i know are minor major and 7ths which are all too bluesy for what im going for, any suggestions of chords and how to play them? preferably in lydian or dorian mode
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Major 7ths, minor 9ths, and minor sevenths used in conjunction with each other give a soft, calm, floaty jazz feeling.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
dreamy chords? I like just playing major barre chords and letting the top 2 strings ring open

244300 F11
355400 G6
577600 Aadd9
799800 Badd11

lots of extended chords and suspended chords
interesting voicings also come into play
Quote by seljer
dreamy chords? I like just playing major barre chords and letting the top 2 strings ring open

244300 F11
355400 G6
577600 Aadd9
799800 Badd11

lots of extended chords and suspended chords
interesting voicings also come into play

reminds me almost of the "smash it up" intro by the Damned

i like it
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
effects?

lots of trippy effects, preferably while u r high.
You guys wanna have some group sex?
No chord progression is going to sound "dreamy" by itself, and any progression can be made to sound "dreamy" in the right context. Read the theory sticky and the crusades articles.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No chord progression is going to sound "dreamy" by itself, and any progression can be made to sound "dreamy" in the right context. Read the theory sticky and the crusades articles.

I know what you're saying, however for what the TS is trying to achieve using chord voicings with open drone strings should work, they can be used to make chords sound a little more ethereal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Maj7ths tottaly
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton