Hey guys,

I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but I would like some input on my specific situation.

Some background information first:

I am 14 years old and am thinking of picking up electric guitar. I suppose this means it's too late for me to flawlessly learn anything with both hands unless I spend a long time. However, I suppose it's also young enough that I will have a greater degree of success learning things with my other hand than someone that was 22+ years old.

I write and use eating implements (chopsticks, forks, spoons, etc.) left-handed, but I play basketball right-handed. If I remember correctly, I have these orientations because they were what felt "natural" to me, not because someone else forced them on me. I can dribble a basketball with my left hand (if you can't in basketball you are doomed), but not as good as with my right hand; and I can use chopsticks with my right hand, but not as good as with my left hand (my grandma made me practice with my right hand when I visited). Spoons and forks in my right hand feel downright awkward.

Also I have been playing piano since I was in kindergarten, so my right hand actually seems to have more dexterity and strength than my left hand, because on piano, when you are starting out, the right hand is the one doing most of the melody, and the left hand just repetitive chords. For sure, on piano, my right hand is faster.

On Guitar Hero I play lefty because I felt that the "guitar" felt more natural that way, but then again a real guitar is obviously very different. However, the general orientation is similar, so I think it would be a somewhat decent indication on what would work for me. Maybe I should try playing Guitar Hero righty and see what my results are?

Please don't bash me for playing Guitar Hero. I've seen it in a lot of places, and I'm very serious about learning guitar and sticking with it; I'm not one of those people who think that since they can play Guitar Hero, real guitar will be a piece of cake.

Another thing is that, as with most boys born around my generation, I have grown up playing video games; so I guess an interesting side effect of that is, since with the three big consoles' controllers, the control stick is on the left side, I suppose my left thumb is more dexterous than my right thumb.

So, now for the real question: should I play right handed or left handed? The three choices that I know of are: play a left-handed guitar (as in from the viewpoint of the guitarist, the guitar neck is on the right hand side), play a right-handed guitar, or play a right-handed guitar flipped over (so that the neck is on the right hand side).

The cons I've heard for playing lefty are that left-handed guitars are generally a bit more expensive and are definitely harder to find (not that they're hard to find, but the selection is just a lot smaller). Also, I don't see how a right-hand guitar flipped over would work; how would you read guitar tabs like that? Wouldn't the strings be flipped?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. Didn't realize how long it was until I finished writing it.
Do both. At once.

You'll be the next Michael Angelo Batio. ;P

Seriously, though, keep to what's natural for you.
If you picked lefty ot righty based on natural feel for other things, why not do the same for guitar?
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
go to guitar center or a local music shop and pickup a few guitars and see what feels abit more natural
not gonna read your overly long post. but i get the idea. i say go to your local guitar shop whatever it may be and just sit there and try a few guitars and see which feels better. i write and throw lefty but when i swing things or play guitar. im considered righty. so just go and see what suits you best. tah-dah.

EDIT: aww beaten to it. oh well
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Haha I guess I will probably be going lefty then. My apologies for such a long post. Anyone have any suggestions for a budget (less than $200, preferrably) lefty electric guitar, and a budget amp (less than $100, preferrably)? I don't think my parents will be willing to pluck down anything more...Thanks.
Get one of the cheaper line 6 spider 3's for an amp (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276)
Or a Squier lefty guitar package, they arent the best guitars however you cannot match them for a cheap beginner guitar and they come with an amp and everything you need to get started. (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-LeftHanded-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-Pack?sku=500273) or for a slightly better but more expensive one
(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Left-Handed-Standard-Strat-Electric-Guitar-Pack?sku=515830)
Then follow the help I gave you in your other post on how to learn guitar.
I am left handed. I do nearly everything this way. I play right handed guitar because I got told to. I am thankful for this. More choice when it comes to guitars etc and when you are a beginner, you will learn to play either way...
Quote by ChainRevolver12
go to guitar center or a local music shop and pickup a few guitars and see what feels abit more natural

That's what I did.

I'm a lefty. I write, eat, use scissors, and shoot guns lefty. However I golf, throw balls, and all that stuff right handed. I don't know how a gun feels good in my left hand but when I picked up a guitar it automatically went righty. I'd certainly say do what feels natural... or be michael angelo batio. I like that option the best
Quote by supergerbil
I am left handed. I do nearly everything this way. I play right handed guitar because I got told to. I am thankful for this. More choice when it comes to guitars etc and when you are a beginner, you will learn to play either way...

Don't do this.

My dad plays right handed because he couldn't afford a left handed guitar and he still can't do abstract picking despite playing for 20+ years.
I'd say go righty if you don't really care because if someone is playing a guitar/ has a guitar and you want to play you can use theirs...

I'm lefty and play righty guitar. I've been playing for about 11 months now and can sweep cleanly and quickly because of it. I'm also really good at legato runs and etc... I'm not as great at picking but with practice and good technique it'll get better

Tbh its easier to learn how to pick well with your bad hand than to sweep/legato/fret in general with your bad hand...

But that's just my opinion =\
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Don't do this.

My dad plays right handed because he couldn't afford a left handed guitar and he still can't do abstract picking despite playing for 20+ years.

Well, no offense, but that's your dad isn't it. If he can't play then that doesn't reflect on me, it just shows he isn't very competent. One persons bad experience doesn't mean that every other person with a similar situation will be a bad player.

I have learnt to play great right handed. It doesn't matter if you are left or right handed when you're playing the guitar...

And wtf is abstract picking? I don't think I can even do this