How much does a bridge actually affect the tone of a bass? I just swapped out my pickups, and I'm definitely happy with the results, but it's still kind of quiet and a little muddy. If I were to dole out some cash for a new bridge, do you think that would help the situation at all? Thanks.
After pickups the nut, bridge and frets (the three things that create the nodes on the string) are the most important pieces of hardware with respect to tone.
^the bridge I would hypothesize affects much more than the nut on fretted notes, and more than frets on open notes.

so it should probably be much more consistent tone change.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Arbitror
After pickups the nut, bridge and frets (the three things that create the nodes on the string) are the most important pieces of hardware with respect to tone.

I was very surprised when I realized this. The bell-brass frets on my Warwick really make it sing. I didn't care at all what the frets and other hardware was made of before.
Be sure the nut and or the bridge saddles do no accept more than half the diameter of the sting. or it will muffle the vibration and produce a muddy sound.
Quote by the humanity
^the bridge I would hypothesize affects much more than the nut on fretted notes, and more than frets on open notes.

so it should probably be much more consistent tone change.

Yeah, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to upgrade a nut than it is to upgrade a bridge.
Quote by banjo1735
Yeah, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper to upgrade a nut than it is to upgrade a bridge.

it's a lot easier to fit a bridge, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom