this all relates to shred, nothing slow:

if you have a run that goes like this : *sorry im not sure how to code things*

--------------------------------------------------------15---17---18
--------------------------------------15---17---18-------------------
---------------------15---17---18--------------------------------------
----15---17---18-------------------------------------------------------

is it 'better' to play it legato, or alternate picking? -from a shredders point of view.

for example some people often say its better to play bass with fingers than a pick, but for whatever reason many people use picks (very respectable bass players)-so is this just a case of personal taste? or for shredding does it really need to be alternate picking.

i ask because im able to do a run like that using legato much faster than if i use picking, but im not sure if im 'cheating' you know.

ur thoughts?
You could do hammer-on's, picking only the 15. Otherwise alternative picking seems like the best way to go.
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
yes. sorry thats what i mean. pick on every string 15, and hammer on the rest-i thought that was what legato was..sorry
ya thats what legato is, no worries.

they both give u slightly different sounds. go with which sounds better to you.

but if u legato ur way through every picking run then u wont really learn how to pick properly, if you dont already know. thats all.
You guys wanna have some group sex?
Quote by FreakShow99
yes. sorry thats what i mean. pick on every string 15, and hammer on the rest-i thought that was what legato was..sorry

Yeah, that's how I would approach this, unless I was after a specific effect.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
In my opinion it depends on how strongly the solo comes in. That might sound weird, but hammer-ons are just as essential to the art of shred as alternate picking is. They can both alter the tone of what you are playing. If you are trying to build into a big note (musically speaking) then alternate picking is probably the way to go. You know, if it feels like you sort of want to "explode" into the next part of the solo. If the run is contained in the actual "break-dowm" of the solo, then you might want to hammer these notes on. Hope I helped.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ariana Acoustic Guitar
Garcia No. 3 Spanish Guitar
Crate Retro-FX 30 watt
Crate 350 watt Stack
Crate GT3500 250 watt Amp head