Well i had made a few posts about one of these when lookin to get it, but today i went out and got it, 500 bux. It's a lil rough around the edges, but, overall not too bad, and currently it works, OK. However as i suspected the power tube(s) need to be replaced. I did the pencil test and the one tube def creats a thud/interruption in the hum i have, whereas the other 3 do not. Im just gonna go for a matched quad instead of wasting the trip to the tech to do just 1. I also checked the seating of the tube and its ok, for those who might say to check that for the hum. Now to the actual question. I know for a fact im going to do the power tubes, and im sort of new to the diff brands and what they do, etc. But i have it narrowed down to JJ's 6L6's...since it sounds like what i want from reviews/descrips, and i really have no way to play them prior to buying. However, I was wondering if i should just go ahead ( i have the money to do so), have my tech go ahead and replace the pre-amps as well as a safety measure since im sure they are old too plus he's gonna have the amp already (save me a 2nd trip/wait). If so, i was thinking about going with the C9's. Again, ive been trying to do some research and it seems like thats a common combo with the JJ's. Basically, id like this amp to do some rock, some 80s metal, and then modern metal. Primarily id like it to modern metal tones. The tubes in it now are a lil fuzzy and there is a lot of noise (this could be due to the tubes in it arent good obv, plus i havent had much time to tweak around with it, just got it). Any suggestions on tubes for the above stated demands from it. Thanks. Sorry for it bein so long, haha
You don't need to have a tech put the tubes in, that's a waste of time and money unless you're planning on getting a bias mod done to it.

Otherwise, just take the old tubes out and put the new ones in and you'll be fine.

JJs sound good in 5150s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you dont think new tubes should be biased? sorry im kinda new to the whole new tubes/biasing/this and that bs, lol...i mean i know im capable of putting them in, i could prolly do most things if i tried, could prolly bias if i had a lil instruction. but i figured id take it in, few other odds and ends id want done on it too. Umm, also the biasing mod, i keep hearing about that, and do you think its worthwhile?
The 5150 can't be biased unless it's modded to do so.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh,. HAHA, feel stupid, thanks....jk. So is it worthwhile to have the ability to bias them mod done?
im pretty sure the bias in a 5150 is fixed if thts right i cant remember which way round it is but u dont need to bias them unless u want the mod to add more warmth.
Equips:

Ibanez RG2550E
Jackson DKMG
ESP LTD EC 200 QM
Peavey ValveKing Head & Slant Cabinet
Peavey 5150
Ashdown Fallen Angel 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
hmmmmmm.....wonder how much thatd run...the tech isnt too far from me, like 5 mins, haha, so i might just run up there and see what he has to say bout it too. Man, u got similar stuff to me, i have a VK head/slant cab, 5150, and Jackson Dk2m dinky, lol...what tubes you have in your 5150?
congrats man! It shouldn't cost much at all for a bias mod. The parts come up to about $5 from radio shack. It's just a 5.7k resistor and a 10k potentiometer, they are wired in series and replace the stock 15k resistor. All it does is allow the resistance to change from 15k down to 5.7k(or whatever resistor you use in series), and allow more current to flow. It's really easy to do actually, I made a little picstory in the 5150 thread that's floating around. It's going to be the labor minimum rate that costs you, but it doesn't take long at all.

Like Matrix said, if you aren't getting the bias mod done, there is no point having a tech install tubes. They are going to do the exact thing you are. Just make sure to line up the pins correctly, and go straight in and straight out. You can wiggle them slightly to get them moving, but try to keep them as straight as possible. The preamp tubes have a gap in the pins that lines up with the socket, and the powertubes have a center plastic key that lines up only one way. It's really easy.

I've got Ruby 6L6GCM in mine that I really like, but a lot of guys recommended the JJ to me when I first got it. For pre tubes, I have a JJ and 3 Shuguang, along with a JAN Phillips 5751 in V1.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
does changing the diff pre-amps make a big diff, i seen one guy somewhere saying to use a NOS RFT 12AX7 for V1 in the 6505, would that help in my 5150? I guess i didnt realize you could mix and match on the pre-amps. What does that do for me? Sorry for all the Q's, i realize i might go through some tubes before i get what i WANT, but if i could get real close or dead on the first time, save me some money.
congrats

i didn't read your entire OP but i knew you had been asking about it. Throw some pics up here when you get time....the 5150 always gives me woodness. Also, I know someone that might benefit from your post here.
Quote by shinedown98
does changing the diff pre-amps make a big diff, i seen one guy somewhere saying to use a NOS RFT 12AX7 for V1 in the 6505, would that help in my 5150? I guess i didnt realize you could mix and match on the pre-amps. What does that do for me? Sorry for all the Q's, i realize i might go through some tubes before i get what i WANT, but if i could get real close or dead on the first time, save me some money.

hehe, yeah, well the good part is it's never a waste to have extra tubes. Preamp tubes can definitely make a difference in the sound, moreso than powertubes most of the time IME. It's not going to completely change the voicing, but it can do things like affect bright/dark/muddy/tightness. Tubes are an old technology, they work on the same principle as a lightbulb, and can burn out randomly just like a lightbulb. It's a maintenance item you should do to keep up your amp every year or so anyway depending on use, at least with powertubes. pre's should generally last twice as long as powertubes before the sound starts degrading. Again though, you can lose them at any time really.

The NOS RFT are great tubes, built back when everything was using tubes, so the manufacturing processes were controlled tighter and at a higher standard. They usually last a lot longer before wearing out compared to tubes produced today. They are quiet, and very musical, which works very well in V1 of any amp. The input tube, V1, is one of the most important. Any noise gets amplified thru the rest of the tubes, and that position is one of the most noticeable differences you can make to the sound when selecting tubes. The question is if that difference is worth the cash to you. They run around $40+ per tube. I've found the JAN Phillips 5751 is a great compromise for about half the price. It's got about 70% of the gain of a regular 12AX7, but it's really a moot point on something like a 5150, since it has way over the amount of usable gain anyway IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 27, 2008,
man, thanks for all the info haha, kinda startin to put it all together now, I called a tech shop today, and they told me its like 50bux for them just to look at it and go through what needs to be done, then 60/hr labor to install tubes, put a new power chord on it (since its missing the ground prong, prolly have a few new pots put on the front for the dials (couple are messed up so the lil dials missing, haha...minor but a pain, and then just checkin out everything else and gettin it set up good, etc. He said this model, since it doesnt have the biasing dial, if i was to just use ruby 6L6's i wouldnt even need to re-bias....and he said he could check the pre-amps, but if they dont need replacing then dont bother. As far as the bias mod, he said itd just be material/labor and however long it takes em. I mean im descent with SOME electronics (bias mod i dunno if i can do), but if i dont need to re-bias this if i use the Rubys should i even take it to em for 60/hr? Also, he said it could be a 1.5-2 week turnaround and i dunno if i can wait that long, hahahhaha.
if you don't want to bother with the bias mod, just install the tubes yourself. Order from a vendor like Dougstubes, Eurotubes, tubedepot, etc..., and tell them that the tubes will be for a stock 5150. They should be able to test a set for you that will operate correctly with the Peavey fixed bias.
amp clips
amp vids
ok and for pre-amp tubes, you dont even need to bias correct? 99% sure u dont, but makin sure, haha