--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys whats up? I just picked up pro tools and the digidesign mbox2 mini recording bundle this weekend and have been messing around with it a little. I have a few questions that I cant seem to find answers to in the help and was wondering if anyone around here has used the program and could give me a few tips. anyways...

After I record a track and play it back why is it so ****ing quiet? I havent changed anything and I listen through the headphones when playing and then play the same thing back and its wayyy quiet. I am not sure what the deal with that is.

and in order to get the sound that I want into the system should I have my whole set-up going directly into the input? like all my boxes into my amp and then out from there to the pc?

what do you guys think? I am brand new at recording and any pointers would be appreciated
Songs I am trying to learn right now...
"Artist in the Ambulance" Thrice
I'm not sure about the volume issue. I know it sounds obvious, but have you turned up the headphones volume on the MBox... I'm sure you already have tried this.

The second question, I'm not sure what you mean. By boxes, do you mean effects pedals? More detail please.
There is poetry in despair.
yeah tried a few different things, and yes by boxed I meant effect pedals. I am thinking the volume issue might have something to do with the way that the software uses the input volume and processes it. but I dont know. I have a few more ideas to try but if anyone else has any, it would be appreciated. thanks.
Songs I am trying to learn right now...
"Artist in the Ambulance" Thrice
if you record thru a mic make sure the inputs are coming thru at a reasonable volume BEFORE you record. you should always do this to get the inital levels right.

If the track is still too quiet during playback even tho when you recorded the signal was coming thru fine, i'd duplicate the track to amplify the sound without distorting the original mix by pushing its dB levels.

I do this and i get quiet a nice sound.

If this still isn't working, either your computer has its master volume controls down low, you have shitty speakers or you're deaf. exactly how quiet is it?
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by FhazE
After I record a track and play it back why is it so ****ing quiet? I havent changed anything and I listen through the headphones when playing and then play the same thing back and its wayyy quiet. I am not sure what the deal with that is.

Assuming you have recorded things properly and have set a good input volume, have you adjusted the monitor mix (the pot on the far left right next to the headphone jack)? This balances the sound output by ProTools (software monitoring) with the Direct Monitoring from the MBox itself (a clever way to deal with the fairly large latency of USB systems). So if you have it set far to the Direct Monitoring side then the sound you get when recording will be loud while you're playing because your using more of that signal, and less of the software monitoring signal. Then, when you try to listen back, the setting will cause the software monitoring to be at a much lower volume. Adjust that, setting the dial at about 12 o'clock will give you about 50/50 and roughly equal volume from both sources, and you'll probably solve that problem.