Here's a new song that my band's been working on. No drums yet, and not quite finished, but it's getting there. I'm sure we're going to be changing a lot from verse 2 to the 5/8 tapping part, so please feel free to give me any ideas. I played around with strings and timpani for the first time---let me know what you think.

Also, if anyone would be willing to make a WAV of this from the GP5 (my sound card is awful, records at low low low volume if at all), I would really appreciate it!

10/29: I replaced the old version with a new one with drums mainly by monkeysintheday. Big thanks!

C4C of course.
Attachments:
Hour of Contempt_revised.zip
Actium
Prog-metal/post-rock straight from the mountains of Colorado.
FFO: Intronaut, The Contortionist, Explosions in the Sky

Our first EP benefitting wildfire relief in Colorado is now free on Bandcamp! Dig it.
Last edited by TheJManSays at Oct 29, 2008,
I think you've something good here, there's no doubt in my mind that it needs some drums though, without it, it would seem well I guess a tad lifeless. (nothing against it)

and if you really can't think of any drums I can help you out, I'm creative with them. Although I don't know exactly what you're aiming for (it seems like something with a lot of double bass would fit in well, even though I normally don't like that it would probably work well in this)

c4c? It's 2 AM/Yield in my sig

EDIT: Actually I'm bored anyway, so I'll just do something for drums with this. I'll post it on here, afterwards tell me what you think. (It may not be done until tomorrow)
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at Oct 27, 2008,
definately needs drums but there were some really sweet riffs. i really like the tapping in the end. i love odd time signatures ;]

did you write the bass lines or did you bassist? they were some cool bass lines but i notice you said your band is working on this so i was wondering if you work on it together or if you just write everything.

would you mind listening to my piece?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985919
Thanks guys, I really appreciate both your comments!

Monkeysintheday, I'd love to see any ideas you have for the drums. I myself haven't ever tabbed out drums, so I was just gonna wait for my drummer to give it a look, but he's been pretty busy lately so anything you want to throw out there would be great.

The only thing I really gave any thought to was the ending 7/8 part, and I just had a very vague idea. I was thinking something similar to the ending to Skies of Millenium Night by Sikth (here's a pretty good vid of the drumming, ending starts around 3:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9545MHFzY), which has a 5/8 4/8 pattern, so not exactly transferable, and of course this would be a lot slower. But basically the drums don't follow much of a very basic beat, lots of cymbal hits; a little hard to follow, but it works very well. Anyway, I was gonna take a crack at that eventually. Like I said, anything you come up with, I'd love to see.

Thanks Cullan, I'm a big fan of multimeter myself. I'm actually the bassist, and about 90% of what's on there overall is what I wrote, but Cam (the lead guitarist) writes a lot of riffs, and more of his writing will show up in there as it progresses, especially in terms of leads. Brian writes all of the drum parts. Obviously he hasn't done anything on this one so far, but that's pretty much how the writing goes on.

It's a bit late, but I'll take a look at both your guys' pieces tomorrow. Thanks again for the comments.
Actium

Our first EP benefitting wildfire relief in Colorado is now free on Bandcamp! Dig it.
Last edited by TheJManSays at Oct 29, 2008,
wow.. this is amazing. i love the tapping, the harmonizing, all of it. it has the beautiful sound of post hardcore, yet has the intensity of metal. major kudos to you sir
Here you go

I wrote a drum part. Just tell me if you like it. It was a lot of fun to write due to the time signatures and it sounded to me like it should match the guitar a little.

It's in gp5 format and midi
Attachments:
Hour of Contempt with drums.zip
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at Oct 28, 2008,
Again thanks for the comments, really appreciated all around.

Monkeysintheday, you're badass. I can't thank you enough for working on that. Some parts didn't go exactly the way I wanted, but overall I loved it. I screwed around with what you had and tried some of my own stuff. It's not final by any means and it's the first time I've worked with drums much so it needs some more work still. But again, I can't thank you enough for putting your time into it.

I'll put up the newest version in a few minutes in the original post.
Actium

Damn, that's bloody brilliant. I adore the chorus and the 5/8 part and I love the groove of the verses. I somehow feel that the Post Chorus doesn't really work though.

The transition Post-chorus to Verse 2 is nice and I like the Post Chorus itself, but I think the transition from Chorus to Post Chorus could be way better. Maybe just an alternate ending on the chorus would work, or simply an open chord. Something to give a little breathing space.

Okay, maybe that wasn't so constructive :P If you still feel like critting a song of mine, I could use some advice/opinions on the first song in this thread.

EDIT: Out of interest - what kind of vocals, if any, will be on this song?
Last edited by descara at Nov 1, 2008,
I loved the intro, especially the part when cam enters, reminds me of Thursday
The transition to the choruspreview was strange. I'd say, try it with feedback or something like that.

The chorus preview itself was good, just the drums are kind of strange... I'd never play 16th on an open hihat, but thats just my opinion

The Verse is nice, but without vocals it will be a little repetitive, but with vocals, it will be great. So i hope you'll have vox over this The prechorus was good, but the chorus was amazing. Didn't like the postchorus, dont know why exactly^^

The second verse was good, nothing bad to say about. The tapping part was amazing, i really liked it. The outro was as good as the tapping part.
So overall, i really liked your song, i'd give it a 8.5/10

crit mine? click me
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Can you even play the outro?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Can you even play the outro?

Haha yeah, actually the outro was the first part I had written. It's way easier than it looks since the right hand taps the same thing over and over and the left hand just fingers different chords. Also it's fun as hell to play if I say so myself haha.

Thanks for your crits, everyone! I'll take all your advice into consideration on the post-chorus and everything. There are a few things that I can't properly express in guitar pro but I'll try to get it as close as possible. I was thinkign the same thing on the hi-hat 16th's in the chorus but wasn't sure about that, so I'll switch it up a bit.

Descara: If I had to describe the vox I guess I would say somewhat like BTBAM, with rough and clean parts, but a little more Mastodon on the screaming parts. We'll see where it goes though, lol.

I'll get to critting your tabs as soon as I can. Thanks again.
Actium