I know that there are a lot of threads about installing one humbucker into the Stratocasters bridge position but how about putting in two?
One in the bridge and a second one in the middle position, supposably two EMGs.

If it helps, the guitar is a standard Strat, can't get much more standard (3 single coils, 21 frets, maple neck, etc.)

Before I get the standard answer: "Just get a second guitar!"
No. That is not the question.

Can you cut the pickguard and body to fit them?
yes but putting the battery in a place that's easily accessible is difficult.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
yes but putting the battery in a place that's easily accessible is difficult.

Are all EMGs active?
Its possible, but you'll have to route out space for the middle position. However, if you put it in the neck instead, there would be no routing necessary.

Also, mixing actives and passives in the same guitar is quite an ordeal. You'd be alot better off doing high output passives. Idk if EMG makes an active single coil or not, but if they do, that would be an option as well.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Are all EMGs active?

No but the passive EMGs suck, if you want 2 EMGs at the bridge and a single coil at the neck, get an EMG active single coil.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
No but the passive EMGs suck, if you want 2 EMGs at the bridge and a single coil at the neck, get an EMG active single coil.

So 2 Humbucker EMGs in the bridge and middle and a EMG single coil in the neck, all active?

How often does the battery have to be changed?
I'd just do HSS EMG's; your strat is alread routed HSH so it would be easier to do that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
How often does the battery have to be changed?

Well 1 EMG will last for 3000 hours, so I guess we can assume 3 would last for a total of 1000 hours

nearly 42 days if you played your guitar 24/7 which you wouldnt, so may be once or twice a year?

(EMG actually has a formular on their website in which you can work out exactly how long it will last for any given pup combination)

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
I'd just do HSS EMG's; your strat is alread routed HSH so it would be easier to do that.

But if a strat is already routed HSH why should I go HSS?

How much do these batteries cost?
Its a standard 9V battery.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
9 volts, dude. A couple bucks.

To go HHS would require routing of the middle slot on the body.

Also, a middle humbucker is useless... In my opinion.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
If your neck pockets already routed for a Humbucker, why dont you have HSH or H H?
You could also put a single coil humbucker in the middle and bridge if you want.. You could still keep the pick guard
I'd take your pickguard off first and see what you are dealing with, there are several different type of routes that might be there, it could be SSS could HSH could be a swimming pool route which means no routing at all.

I don't recall ever seeing a HHS pickguard, so you'd probably need to look at modifying an existing one.
Quote by Øttər
Also, a middle humbucker is useless... In my opinion.

This. I'd go HSH. A middle humbucker won't sound any different than a neck HB and a neck/bridge config looks better than a bridge/middle config.

But that's my opinion.