Page 2 of 8
So
# All wood construction for full sound
# Chrome Covered Tuning Gears
# Solid Maple Fingerboard and Bridge

Doesn't mean it's made of solid wood?

Damn bastards!

Curiosity, though. What's the difference in solid wood and all wood, then?
(PM me if you think this doesn't belong here)

Thanks, btw!
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

"All" wood could be anything. Plywood, wood from your mother's antique cabinet, etc. Any type of wood, no matter how good or crappy it may be. It basically means it's made of any old piece of wood they found. Generally, it's just plywood though.

"Solid" wood is a plank of wood taken directly from a tree. It's generally higher quality and will make your guitar sound better the more you play it.

Your guitar has a fingerboard and bridge made of solid wood, but the body construction is most likely plywood(plywood is generally for lower quality products, although some companies make REALLY good plywood). But yeah... You get what you pay for--in general, anyway.

Hope that helps.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ah! And that's where the dog is buried!

Thanks again, dude

EDIT: Didn't buy my guitar. Brother gave me.
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

i went out and got one today, thanks for the heads up. I had totally forgot because this is my first winter with a nice acoustic
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
What precautions can be taken with high relative humidity? My guitar should arrive in about a week so I might pick up a hygrometer and assess the situation myself.

I'm in South Florida, by the way. Should I invest in a small dehumidifier of some sort?
Not too sure about how the humidity levels are in Florida, so a hygrometer would definitely be a good idea. If it's over 60% then I would invest in a dehumidifier. 60% should be the absolute maximum.
Equipment:

Alas, I just got a hardshell (finally) and new humidifier And it just started snowing here lol.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Yeah, the weather's pretty crazy. Snowed here as well.
Equipment:

wel...guess my guitar is screwed...unless my room windows are shut and the guitar case is right next to the heater all day.
Putting a guitar next to a heater is a really bad idea. The temperatures become uneven at different parts of the guitar. One part will want to stay the same while the other will want to expand.
Equipment:

then I should get a humidifier...unless there's another way which would include me keeping the same amount of money that I have.
Plays Electric on Acoustic...it's weird isn't it
Ring out a wet sponge or cloth and put it in a ziplock bag with holes in it and then stick it in a hard case with your guitar. It's not the best humidifier, but it'll work alright.
Equipment:

one of my guitars has no strings at the moment, will the heat affect the neck/what can i do?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
As long as it's not next to a heat vent, you'll be fine. Necks will not warp from lack of strings unless it's a really long period of time. Couple of years.
Equipment:

Under what circumstances should I have a humidifier? I live in the UK, the radiator is never on in my room, but the temperature changes a lot.
I'm finally getting a nice 12 string acoustic for christmas. Do I need a humidifier then?

EDIT

I seem to be being ignored by the mass populace due to my noob-like expression of negativity through the 'OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' at the beginning of my post which I used to express my anguish.
Therefore, I shall remove it
Last edited by pag_slash_2 at Nov 23, 2008,
Even in the UK you'll probably need a humidifier. I'm not 100% sure though since I live very far away from you. The best way to tell if to check a hygrometer.
Equipment:

What I do is leave my window open about an inch or so. whe humidity from the outside helps to balance the dry air inside. Seems to work, cause my old friend is 30 yrs old and it still sounds great. But then I also live in northern Cali which is fairly damp in the winter, but not really COLD. it's about 50s. I also have a hanging over the window too. but it worked when i lived up in Oregon, and works down here too.

I also keep my kids in their cases if I'm not actively playing for longer than three days. (outrageous I know, but has happened.)

Different question entirely. My younger sister has recently taken up guitar, Does anyone have any nifty hints on how she can build up 'tar calluses on her fingertips as well as her index finger (barre chords)? All I know is doing it the hard way. So helpful hints would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!
For the matter of humidity... as long as you're within the target range of 40-60% then it's all good. I wouldn't suggest doing this for most people though since excessive cold can also cause damage. Being in the 50 degree range though, you're method is suitable for you.

I think the best advice I could give after doing it the hard way is actually more of a list of things not to do to ruin your callouses while in the process of building them.

1. Use moisturizer. It makes the callouses softer and less prone to cracking and tearing off.
2. Don't play after exposing your skin to water for a long period of time(after a shower). The callouses will be soft and rip off quite easily.
3. Do NOT(for the love of God), do NOT keep peeling them. I kept doing it for fun(yes I'm a strange one, maybe...) and it took me forever to build my callouses even though I played a lot.

Strangely enough, I've never built callouses on any other part of my hand except for the finger tips. I can barre and stuff just fine too. Maybe that's just me?
Equipment:

Well most people don't develop barre chord calluses...that is I guess unless you play them a lot...

One way I built up calluses quickly was grab my guitar and run my fingers up and down the strings when I wasn't playing. Worked like a charm
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thank you very much for the tips and hints. And the reason behind the Barre question was because she's been saying when she tries to barre, the ridge where the joint is hurts. Kinda does mine too, but then I've broken that finger a couple times. No one ever tells you in your 20's that all the damage you've done to your body will come back to bite you in the arse when you hit your late 30s & 40s.

Again, thank you very much, and I hope everyone has a good (and safe) holiday season.
Here's a few videos I found on the Taylor website that explains exactly what happens when you do not humidify a guitar.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/
On the right, click on "Performance Tips/Maintenance"

The effects of a dry guitar can be quite devastating. Don't let it happen to you.

I've also added this to the front page for reference.
Equipment:

Ah! I almost got sick watching that!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I watched the video, and checked my guitar immediately afterwards. I have a cheap Carlo Robelli acoustic that I bought off of an ex-girlfriend for $50, but it plays a lot nicer than most of the budget gear under 500 in any guitar center I've been to. But that's besides the point. I did notice some unevenness on the faces of my guitar. Not awful, but not pretty. As far as I can tell, my acoustic does not have such an exaggerated bump (pitchers mound as they say on the Taylor video) as others I've played.

Now onto the question. Is there any way to reverse the damaging affects of humidity? Or am I screwed now that It's warped? I have never kept this guitar in a hard case for very long, for I don't have one. I like my acoustic an awful lot, and I don't want it to become unplayable. It's already beat up from playing it so much and generally not caring about her appearance. Yet I still care for her and I'd be devastated if she didn't play well.

I plan on buying a nice Takamine soon (maybe tomorrow), and I'll be sure to buy a good case and humidifier/hygrometer.
Most guitars won't have a perfect "pitchers mound" from what I've experienced(unless they're new, and even then, not all brands design their guitars like that.). They'll be a little bit wavey, and that's just from normal usage. My Martin actually has a very very slight wave in it, even though I keep it properly humidified. Some guitars don't even have that shape to begin with, but the main purpose of showing that video around was just to highlight the damage that can be potentially caused.

As for reversing the damage caused by humidity, it is possible to restore the guitar up to a point, but there will probably still be a bit of a wave in the top. If your guitar is in need of being restored from low humidity damage then take it to a guitar tech. They'll make sure your guitar is in good condition.
Equipment:

I have a grover tube humidifier, i dump it in water, and it humidifies

is this good?
i mean it does the job, i have the case too,

am i set>
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Yea, pretty much. Just leave the guitar and humidifier in the case when you're not using it.
Equipment:

sweettt
thanks man
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
So if i have an acoustic-electric (Takamine eg530ssc) will the homemade humidifier hurt my electronics?
it's perfectly fine.
Equipment:

So I live in Florida, and it's always pretty humid here. I don't think I'll need a humidifier, but for the summer, would it get TOO humid? Are there guitar DEHumidifiers?
Quote by SilverChaos
So I live in Florida, and it's always pretty humid here. I don't think I'll need a humidifier, but for the summer, would it get TOO humid? Are there guitar DEHumidifiers?

Yes there are. For you, a dehumidifier is probably the right way to go. It's always hot in florida, and it's always humid. You can probably find one in music stores around your area.
Equipment:

I'm not sure when to refill yours either. Mine is simple because it shrivels when it's empty(it's a cylindrical water permeable cloth.). Can you tell when the humidifier's full? If you can then just top if off every week or so and it should be good.
Equipment:

Weekly sounds good, I usually boil up some tea Sunday evenings any who Thanks.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dang, now I want some tea. I shall make some!
Equipment:

What about boiled water >_>
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Boiled water might be okay, but it doesn't remove minerals. It only kills bacteria, so there's a possibility of those minerals leaving residue over time(which is undesirable).
Equipment:

I have a classical guitar cedar top, and I live in Toronto Canada right now so it's the winter season and the furnaces are lit in my house. I keep my guitar in the hard shell case all the time use an Oasis Humidifier with distilled water at all times.

In 4 days I am leavnig to go to Lima, Peru for 3 months to visit my family and wanted to bring my guitar with me as I can't go a day without it let alone 3 months. If I leave it here I won't be able to refill the distilled water in the Oasis humidifier anyway so that will leave the guitar sitting around for 3 months unhumidified so I don't want to leave it here risking that anyway.

In Lima right now it's summer time and blazing hot. My cousin's house which I am staying at doesn't have an airconditioning system or a heater so I cant really keep it in a "cool airconditioned" place. Should I humidify it at all times when I'm there? or will the summer humidity be enough for the guitar? I don't want to over humidify the guitar from the humidity of the climate and the Oasis humidifier together?

can any1 help me on this?
thanks friends