Page 3 of 8
Hello there fellow torontonian

I'm not quite sure how humid Lima is, but the climate change might have adverse affects on your guitar, which has adjusted to Toronto's climates. What's the relative humidity of Lima like right now(and for the next 3 months)? As for the temperature difference, it should be alright as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight and in the coolest place possible.

If you decide leave your guitar in Toronto, you could probably ask someone to take it home with them and refill the humidifier every so often for you while you're gone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Im not sure exactly right now, but around december its summer time should be in the high 20s or low 30s and will be like that for the next few months as it will remain hot

I dont want to overhumidify it, You think if I bring it and keep it in the case away from sunlight it should be okay? Im brining my humidifier with me ofcourse but Im not sure if I should use it often seeing as how it will be quite humid there from the summer temperatures. I don't know what I should do if I should not use the humidifier as much when Im there or should I use it all the time. I will most definately put it in the coolest place possible
Try to keep your guitar away from direct sunlight and air vents regardless of what season it is.

During the summer, your guitar should be fine without a humidifier. Where do you live? Australia? There's usually enough humidity in the air not to need one.
Equipment:

so i just went out to help my parents get me an acoustic-electric for christmas and i didn't get a humidifier. is this a way that i could humidify my guitar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmGcS5A4Ww
it seems legit, but i am not sure whether or not to go to GC and get one.

as of now, it is in a closet inside its case. we have been getting a lot of rain where i live so i think i may be fine.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Yup. That will work. You'll probably need to refill it more than a humidifier that you buy from the store, but it's definitely one way to save 15-20 bucks. Just make sure that after you moisten the paper towel, you ring it out properly. Dripping water can damage your guitar.
Equipment:

ok. thanks! anything else i should know about with humidifying (like how often)? should i keep the guitar in the case while doing it?
MyGear
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
During the winter, when your heater is on, keep your guitar in your case with your humidifier in it at all times.

The guitar has to be in the hard case because it creates a smaller, more "controllable" atmosphere so that your guitar is in the right humidity levels.
Equipment:

thanks again
MyGear
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Well, I have a humidifier for my acoustic but I'm wondering about keeping my electric moisturized. I have a hot pot on for an hour or two in my room most weekends, if I have my electric near the hot pot (but far enough away that the steam doesn't touch it) will that be enough?
Electric guitars aren't as sensitive, but the action can still be greatly affected by humidity. My friend left his LP style ESP out overnight next to a vent and his action went all screwey. It definitely wouldn't hurt to buy something like a case humidifier for your electric(if you have a hard case to go with it), but I wouldn't worry about it TOO much.

As for the hot pot, wouldn't you get a smelly film on your electric? I've had curry hot pot before and the smell in my clothes was rather fierce.
Equipment:

^Only have a gig bad for it right now
I should've clarified about the hot pot. I make my own bassoon reeds, and the method I learned involves steaming the reed blanks for a short period of time at a couple of points in the process. Makes the cane more pliable. So there's only water in the pot.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Dec 13, 2008,
OHH. loll. I thought you meant like asian hotpot where you cook your own food in flavoured broth. (cuz im asian you know) ahahaha.

The humidity will probably be alright for it, although a stable and controlled relative humidity is what you really want. Something constant.
Equipment:

You shouldnt need one for your electric, but your classical and acoustic might if they are solid wood. If so, I would suggest getting a humidifier for both of them. Even if the one on the stand is there all winter, you can get one of the humidifier that clip on to the strings and sit in the soundhole. I own one and it works well.
Boiled water might be okay, but it doesn't remove minerals. It only kills bacteria, so there's a possibility of those minerals leaving residue over time(which is undesirable).

If you re-condense it into a clean container it's clear of everything but pure water and anything with a lower boiling point than it (nothing found in tap water, and most chemicals with low boiling points don't dissolve in water anyway). Which is what you want, pretty much.

This is a more detailed explanation of how to distill stuff/ why it works.
O.o I don't even have a case for my guitar...getting a bit worried now.

I've had it since...early summer of this year maybe? I'm playing at an intermediate level, but I can't seem to find a case for it--I'm on the small side, and it's 39 inches (I think). So there aren't a lot of hard-shells that can be bought separately.

I should probably make a new topic for my guitar problems altogether. Great post though!
Quote by zoeycatlove
O.o I don't even have a case for my guitar...getting a bit worried now.

I've had it since...early summer of this year maybe? I'm playing at an intermediate level, but I can't seem to find a case for it--I'm on the small side, and it's 39 inches (I think). So there aren't a lot of hard-shells that can be bought separately.

I should probably make a new topic for my guitar problems altogether. Great post though!

The best thing to do in your case is to try and find a smaller body acoustic guitar case and then stuff it with a soft towel of some sort. Someone I know does it and it works quite well.
Quote by !!Dope Man!!
Can anyone recommend a good humidifier? I'm on musiciansfriend and there are so many with varying price ranges

Any humidifier should be fine. I use an Oasis Case humidifier and it works quite well for me.

EDIT: lol, i accidentally double posted XD
Equipment:

ok ok ok i bought my Oscar Schmidt Washburn used so i dont know if its solid wood, laminate, or solid top, how can i tell? can someone pm me or leave a reply on this thread...thanks
What exact model is it?
Equipment:

I have a semi-hollow non laminated guitar, does it need to humiditfied or however u spell it LOL.
Quote by Infinitives
I have a semi-hollow non laminated guitar, does it need to humiditfied or however u spell it LOL.

Is it an electric guitar? This applies mainly to acoustic guitars.
Equipment:

Quote by Infinitives
It's electric

Then no, it's not absolutely necessary. Low and high humidity can still cause your action to go completely screwey though, so watch out for that. Keeping your guitar in a case should help with this.

Acoustic guitars are made of much thinner planks of wood than electric guitars(even hollow body electrics) and are much more likely to crack under abnormal humidity conditions.
Equipment:

Actually, you have a solid top.

It would be better to have a humidifier/dehumidifier depending on the relative humidity of your house. Ideal range is 40-60%. Do not exceed or come below those.
Equipment:

Ohh. That's not what musciansfriend says. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-EJ200-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518650

I'm more inclined to believe that the Epiphone site has a type-o, considering that it costs $300+.
Equipment:

Yea it's definitely a solid spruce top, I've got one too haha. Does anyone have the Planet Waves humidifier, the oval shaped one? It's the only one sold at my local shop and I'm just curious if anyone has experience with it.

Here's a link to it:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-GuitarViolin-Humidifier?sku=421100
Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar 12-string
Epiphone EJ-200 (natural)
Last edited by Rocco N Roll at Jan 5, 2009,
It should be ok, although it's notorious for growing mold. Silverstein14 can attest to that(as can my brother). His just got mold growth.
Equipment:

So, just got a humidifier, but I'm wondering if my case suffices. Do hybrid cases still work, or do I need a true hardshell case?
What kind of hybrid case are we talking about? The ones with the foam linings?
Equipment:

It should work. As long as it's a closed off space you'll be fine.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
It should be ok, although it's notorious for growing mold. Silverstein14 can attest to that(as can my brother). His just got mold growth.

I sure can I have to purchase a new one soon, I'm too scared of the damn invisible wood killer.
Nope. That one's a laminate.
Equipment:

Would I need to use a humidifier in spring temperatures?
You can probably start leaving out your acoustic then. Humidifying is generally something you only do in winter because the heaters tend to suck all the moisture out of the air. All the snow melts in spring though, so you should be fine humidity-wise.
Equipment: