Page 4 of 8
You should be fine most of the time. I'm not sure exactly how humid it gets/doesn't get, but it would be a good idea to just play it safe in the winter and keep it in your case.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
aite sounds good...lol not really worried bout the cold lol it was like 60 today...flip flops and a tshirt weather lol
Quote by scfan919
aite sounds good...lol not really worried bout the cold lol it was like 60 today...flip flops and a tshirt weather lol

Ahh, you're lucky. It was -20 today in Toronto.
Equipment:

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting so yea... I don't really know much about playing the guitar but I wanna give it a shot.

I'm planning to get the Yamaha FG730s as my first guitar and want to take good care of it. Would this case be alright to protect it from the cold? I can't seem to find a hardcase.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-GA21-Soft-Plush-Case-for-FG-Series-Guitars-540576-i1151161.gc

Thanks alot.
I don't think any case, except maybe one of those super expensive, heavy duty, rolly-wheeled flight cases can actually protect a guitar from the cold. Just try not to let your guitar sit in the cold. If you do, however, leave it in it's case for a few hours to let it slowly readjust to room temperature.
Equipment:

i've got an ovation with a laminated top that i'm gonna have to bring to school in a few days for something in english, and the weather dude says the weather will range from the low 40's to the high 50's. it'll be in a gig bag all the time, except for when i take it out at lunch and in the mildy heated(about 75 F) classroom. do i need to worry about it maybe being too cold and getting damaged, or no?
Humidity won't be an issue for you.

The cold, however, can be. Just make sure that you give the guitar some time to warm up when you take it back into a room temperature building. Leave the guitar in the bag for about 10-15 minutes before you take it out.
Equipment:

I live in Nor Cal and the humidity in my home is anything but low. Its gotten up into the high 70s and averages high 60s. I've actually had dehumidify my guitar. And in the summer it can get into the 30s. So I guess it's opposite of what people are preaching?
It really depends on the climate of where you live. I should probably add a section talking about how different areas will vary in your needs to humidify/dehumidify.

As long as you keep the guitar in the "happy zone", it's all good.
Equipment:

I've just purchased a guitar that is all solid wood so I'm looking for a suitable humidifier.

The guitar is always kept in a hard case when not in use, but I store the case in an upright position.

Would a humidifier such as the Oasis one be suitable, or do guitars need to be lying flat when a sound hole humidifier is being used?
^ It doesn't matter as long as the case is closed with the latches locked/closed.
Equipment:

omfgggggggg im so glad you made this, i would have NEVER known
...and...this....kiinda explains why my old acoustic got messed up =[
i shall not let it happen to my new acoustic!!!!! DAMN YOU HEATERSSSSS
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
Hey guys, i'm thinking of buying an acoustic sometime soon but most of you seem to be from the USA.
Is humidity as much of a problem here in the UK?

I have noticed some of you mentioning "Dry winters", but it's never dry in England haha.

Derp.
You should be ok over in the UK. You might even need a dehumidifier depending on how much precipitation you get in the rainy months. Best way to know is to get a hygrometer(an instrument that measures relative humidity).
Equipment:

I'll go get myself a hygrometer then.

Thanks alot captivate!
Derp.
no problemo!
Equipment:

I have a Martin 000x1 and a SKB hard case case. I live in NJ so summer, gets really humid and during winter, it gets really dry. Would I need a humidifier? I usually leave my guitar in my case and use my beater guitar which is a laminate Jasmine. I probably use it 2~3 hours a week

btw, martin 000x1 is solid top and hpl back and sides

thanks
Keep a Hygrometer (is that what a humidity guage is called?) in your case. The HPL isn't a concern, but the solid top needs to be taken care of. I think Cap covered this in the original post, but humidity levels should be kept between 40-50%. So, if its below, humidifier. If its ABOVE, however, put a couple silica gel packs (like what comes in bags of Hormel pepperoni/beef jerkey) in the case. Not for long periods of time, but just to keep the humidity levels even.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd get a hard case. Honestly, I'd make sure I had a case for any guitar I had... I don't believe any guitar should live on a stand with no case for a home, but that's just me. Vermadus, you should invest in a humidifier at least - they are cheap, and the guitar humidifiers work best when you have it in a case with it. Needing the humidifier right now depends on the relative level of humidity you have - it should fall within the amounts that Captivate described very well. However, having it on hand is very important for when you do need it.

Here is a way to make a very cheap one, though I can't recommend it as I've never tried it myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmGcS5A4Ww
Thanks!

I'm going to grab a hygrometer asap, and then check what comes out of that, and go from there
If you haven't humidified your guitars thus far, don't panic. Just make sure you get the appropriate equipment and start humidifying it. It should be between 40%-60% RH. Preferably closer to 50%.
Equipment:

Planet Waves makes a nifty little gizmo that you keep in the case with the guitar. It measures and records both humidity and temp levels and shows the date of the highest/lowest readings observed.
^ That would be very useful. Doesn't planet waves also have a hygrometer and auto-humidifier/dehumidifier all in one?
Equipment:

I'm not familiar about that. Sounds like a cigar humidor. There are cases available with built in humidification/dehumidification and monitoring, but they cost as much and more than a lot of guitars do. Meant more for really high end axes valued in the thousands of dollars. At any rate, this is the gizmo I was talking about:

I own it and it works perfectly, plus the batteries seem to last a good long time.
I use that one. Yes, it would. The case is a closed environment. Air does get through from the headstock area to the guitar body. Because it is a closed environment, the areas of higher humidity will try to even out with the areas of low humidity within the case. It's a decent humidifier.
Equipment:

Okay, I hope i'm not bumping too old of a thread, but I've got a humidity question; Right now it's summer time in maine (for those of you familiar with Maine weather; It's unpredictable), I purchased a hygrometer (a hygrometer/thermometer, walmart for $7, works pretty well I think) and it's sitting in my room, and it's been saying the humidity over the past few days has been between 58-80%....Do I need to go out and buy a dehumidifier for my guitar at this point in time for my guitar?

Also, I realize I should be keeping my hygrometer in my case...would storing it in that little spot where you can store capos/picks/strings/straps/etc work?
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
It's okay to bump this thread. It's made to be used, haha.

You may want to buy a dehumidifier. It depends, really. Has it just been raining recently? Or is the climate really that humid in the summer on average? If it's just from the rain, don't sweat it. It should go back to normal soon enough. If it's usually like that then get some silica gels or something similar and stuff it in the case with your guitar.

As for where you should keep your hygrometer... The storage area should work, but the headstock space is probably better. If you can find a way to keep it secure in that area then that would be ideal.
Equipment:

Yeah, this week it's been up in the 90s (Fahrenheit), and I think in Maine it can be really humid in the summers...but as for winter, I've no idea. On the days in the 90s it's been in the high 60s and 70s for humidity, today it was rainy/misty and was high 70s, and at one point, 80. But as for keeping it secure in the headstock area....I think Duct tape may be the solution there

silica gels? Those are like those little packets that say "DO NOT EAT! DISPOSE ASAP!"on them that you get whenever you buy shoes and stuff, right?
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Hi all, I live in Belgium. I'm not sure what the average humidity is around here.. But would it be okay if I put a humidifier in (like in the video) once every while? Or is this only needed in the summer and winter when I put the radiator on?
Well, the best thing to do would be to go out and buy a hygrometer of some sort (it measures the humidity of the room...or your case, if you keep it in there). That way you'd be able to tell if you needed to humidify your guitar or not. People say they cost around $20-30 USD, but I found mine for under $10. You never know, sometimes you may need to dehumidify your guitar if it's too humid (a few weeks ago the humidity was around 60+% all the time where I live).
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

I found some kind of mini weather station in my house... It says the humidity is currently at 40%.

I only have a soft gig bag though.... Do I even need to use a humidifier? And will it actually be usefull with my bag?
No, it won't be useful with a gig bag, but you don't need to worry about humidifying since your house it at 40% humidity. Most modern homes have a climate control system that will control the humidity in your home as well as temperature, just FYI
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
No, it won't be useful with a gig bag, but you don't need to worry about humidifying since your house it at 40% humidity. Most modern homes have a climate control system that will control the humidity in your home as well as temperature, just FYI

Well, our house isn't really modern, it's 20+ years old.
However, the humidity right now is fine I guess, but I'm not sure how it will be in winter..
You might want to pick up a humidifier for later in the winter months, so that way you don't have to worry about getting one later....or at least the next time you make a run to your local guitar store to get strings/picks/whatever it is you're getting.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Thanks for the advice and the heads up!

I'll measure the humidity again in a few months and if needed, I'll probably make me an own humidifier