Page 5 of 8
now i got 5 guitars that all are on a rack. what kind of humidifier would be best so i can treat all 5 without having to use a case? cause i only have 2 cases (acoustic (soft) and lp (hard) . if it may help i live in montana and the winters are really dry up here so if i could get some advice soon it would be much appreciated cause its already 30ish degrees in the morning
You'll need 2 things.

1. a hygrometer - An instrument for measuring the relative humidity of the air
2. a room humidifier. You can pick one up at most walmarts or hardware stores

You'll need to keep your guitar in a room small enough for the room humidifier to be effective(so keep the door closed), but not so small that it spews the water vapour at your guitars. The humidifier should actually be placed away from the guitars(but still in the same room, obviously) to prevent water damage.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a room humidifier. You can get one that has a built-in humidity gauge so you can monitor the levels all the time. Holmes is a pretty popular, inexpensive brand. Once you need to start using heat, the air will dry out pretty fast, and conditioning the room that the guitars are in is the most efficient way of doing it. My local music store goes through 25-30 gallons of water a day keeping all the instruments hydrated in the winter. You'll probably use about 5 or so a day.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Sep 10, 2009,
Naa, you'll be just fine with a small room humidifier. Small just means you'll use less water every day.
It's all good.

Oh, one other thing. You'll want to try to maintain about 45% rH and about 70°F at all times. Thats the recommend range for wood musical instruments. It's also a good range for people too. Bonus!
sweet. thanks. its getting pretty cold for instruments already so im going to try to get a good one this weekend.

btw are mist humidifiers bad? cause i live in a small town and the only ones i can find online that are the same stores that are here are mainly mist humidifiers.
They're ok. That's what I use and they do a good job. Just be aware that they can pump a lot of moisture into the air pretty fast. Do try to get one that is automatic so you don't overdo it by mistake. Excessively moist guitars aren't healthy either. This is pretty much the same one I have, just not digital like mine.

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand. The weather's always screwed, so you can never predict what's going to happen.

I have a dehumidifier... will having one of those work?
You mean like a room dehumidifier? Yes it will work. Just make sure that you use it at the appropriate times though. Even though it may be very humid or very dry outside, it doesnt mean that the relative humidity inside is the same... unless you keep every window in your house open, haha.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
You mean like a room dehumidifier? Yes it will work. Just make sure that you use it at the appropriate times though. Even though it may be very humid or very dry outside, it doesnt mean that the relative humidity inside is the same... unless you keep every window in your house open, haha.

My room is a pretty tiny room, and at night I always have the heater on. Is this going to affect my strings?

And the thing is, the dehumidifier is in the living room. Maybe I should keep my guitar outside of my room..
The heater is something to be concerned about. Heated air is usually VERY dry. Go out and get a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
The heater is something to be concerned about. Heated air is usually VERY dry. Go out and get a hygrometer to measure the humidity.

...crap, what's a hygrometer?
well, i'm sure that while i'm in iraq, my acoustic will not need a humidifier, b/c its hot year round, but in nc, will i need one? and does it have to be a case humidifier, or can it be a normal room humidifier?
Quote by chaoticfables
...crap, what's a hygrometer?

a hygrometer is an electrical device that measures humidity.
Quote by jamesjones81
well, i'm sure that while i'm in iraq, my acoustic will not need a humidifier, b/c its hot year round, but in nc, will i need one? and does it have to be a case humidifier, or can it be a normal room humidifier?

correction...i really do need one...b/c it is dry heat...no humidity at all. do i have to have a case humidifier, or will a room humidifier work? it stays in an a/c'd room, with the temp around 75-80, and the a/c runs all the time...do i still need one?
Quote by jamesjones81
a hygrometer is an electrical device that measures humidity.

You're right that they measure humidity, but not all are electrical. Most are actually mechanical.
Quote by jamesjones81
correction...i really do need one...b/c it is dry heat...no humidity at all. do i have to have a case humidifier, or will a room humidifier work? it stays in an a/c'd room, with the temp around 75-80, and the a/c runs all the time...do i still need one?

You need to get a reading on what the humidity levels actually are before anyone can answer that question. The ideal points are 45-55% rH(relative humidity) @ 70 degrees F. Since Iraq is mostly arid desert, I'd guess that the rH is below 45% and that you would need to humidify. Still, check what it actually is and take it from there.
Quote by LeftyDave
You need to get a reading on what the humidity levels actually are before anyone can answer that question. The ideal points are 45-55% rH(relative humidity) @ 70 degrees F. Since Iraq is mostly arid desert, I'd guess that the rH is below 45% and that you would need to humidify. Still, check what it actually is and take it from there.

how long would it take for damage to occur? it has been here since mid-June, how long do i have b4 any damage would occur if the rH is below 45%? its kinda hard to get a humidifier out here...
Damage in the form of cracking could occur in as little as a couple of weeks up to a month. The Taylor guitar website has some videos of what can happen to guitars when they dry out. They have this machine that they put guitars in and turn it on. It simulates the effects of various weather conditions, one being very dry conditions. But you stated that you keep the guitar in an air conditioned area all the time. This is excellent news since hot dry air will ultimately kill your guitar in no time, cool dry air is by far better for it. Heat can loosen up the glue bonds on the guitar, so couple that with overly dry air and you begin to see the dangers.
Your absolute low end would be around the 30% mark or so. That alone could set up a future failure if it's not addressed soon.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Iraq isn't the ideal place for an acoustic guitar.
You could always try to rig up a makeshift humidifier. Or if you have family/friends stateside you could try to get them to send you a guitar humidifier kit. Hell, I'd send you my old one if I had an address. At this point something would be better than nothing. Luck to ya.
Quote by LeftyDave
Hell, I'd send you my old one if I had an address. At this point something would be better than nothing. Luck to ya.

thank you for the advice, and the very nice gesture. i will keep that in mind!
what if i don't have a case? and my guitar is all solid wood (silver creek)
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Do you have any places you can put your guitar that is small and can hold humidity in? That's what the purpose of the case is, really. Just an enclosed environment to hold in the moisture from the humidifier.
Equipment:

Well its starting to get cold now so Instead of leaving it out through the night. Ima just put it in its soft case. Work the same?

PS I live in GA if that says anything
Last edited by Thepredster at Oct 17, 2009,
In the summer I need to dehumidify to get under 60%.

I just switched to heat here and it dropped to 30%.

Is there a big humidifier that you can set the level?
Like 5+ gallons and an LED?

Thanks.
Quote by Thepredster
Well its starting to get cold now so Instead of leaving it out through the night. Ima just put it in its soft case. Work the same?

PS I live in GA if that says anything

A soft case doesn't help protect your guitar from humidity. It isn't an isolated environment where you can adjust the humidity.

Quote by KBaird
In the summer I need to dehumidify to get under 60%.

I just switched to heat here and it dropped to 30%.

Is there a big humidifier that you can set the level?
Like 5+ gallons and an LED?

Thanks.

You can get a room humidifier of some sort. Which one specifically, I wouldn't know. Gotta look around yourself for one like that.
Equipment:

I found a good sunbeam at walmart.

I set it to 45% and it's great.

I fill it every 2 or 3 days.
Last edited by KBaird at Oct 22, 2009,
what about too much humidity though?

honestly, this whole humidity thing completely caught me off guard, i would have thought that guitars would want to be dry and humidity would be bad. not the other way around.

i never leave my guitar in my case though, and winter does get really dry here, but i'm just wondering how much of a problem this is.

my guitar is solid wood but it's got lacquer all over it except for the fretboard. i would guess that would affect how humidity is for it, but not too sure.
Both too much and too little are bad for solid wood guitars. As stated on the first page, it should be somewhere between 40-60% relative humidity. No lower, no higher.

If you have too much humidity, the guitar will start to bulge outwards and sound less crisp and defined. It can loosen the glue joints and make the guitar structurally weaker.

Humidity can become a big problem if left unaddressed in more severe conditions, potentially causing hundreds of dollars of damage for a professional to fix it properly. Cracks and deformation can be caused by too much or too little humidity.

As for the lacquer, its main purpose is to keep the soft wood from being scratched as easily. Not for protection from humidity. Besides, the inside of the guitar does not have lacquer, and that is where the humidity gets into the guitar.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Any hard shell case that fits your guitar will be fine.

A gig bag isn't sufficient because moisture can pass right through cloth without any problems. A hard case, on the other hand, is an enclosed space where it is much harder for moisture to get out.

As for leaving your guitar out... I leave mine out on the stand for a day or two sometimes. As long as moisture level is kept right most of the time, i'll be fine.

Just as a side note to anyone... like Silverstein14 said, if you don't want to buy a humidifier then get a zip lock bag and poke some holes in it and then just stick a damp sponge inside(make sure you ring out as much water as possible). It should keep the humidity at about the right level. You will probably need to re-wet it more often than a humidifier, but it should be sufficient.

Just a question on the Homemade Humidifiers....Do they need distilled water like a factory made one too? Or can those use Tap Water (Well water in my case, but whatever).

I live in a terrible environment for solid guitars; in the summer I was in the need of a dehumidifier (which I should have found some way to take care of as opposed to letting the humidity go down), and now I need a regular humidifier.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
You can use tap water for those. It's just that some of the factory make ones will grow mold such as the planet waves humidifier with that water sponge thing that people use for plants. That one grew mold quite badly. I generally suggest distilled since there may also be build-up of minerals over time as well, depending on how hard or soft your tap water is.
Equipment:

Quote by aaron.sta.ana
I realized I've been taking my instrument for granted!

Just to note; if you are, in fact located in the Philipines, you have no reason to humidify your guitar, ever.
^ If anything, you need a dehumidifier, which I actually haven't addressed.
Equipment:

So I have a stuido in my basement...all kinds of electrics hanging on hangers with a couple of solid top/laminate b/s acoustics. I have just purchased my first all solid acoustic and it is on its way. I got an indoor hygrometer and it's staying around 45 to 55% @ around 65 degress F. I guess it should be ok to keep the guitar out of the case on a hanger or should I still keep it in the case?(the case that will be coming with it also has a built in hygrometer).
Instruments:
Alvarez MD80
Yamaha FG730S Cherry Sunburst
Italia Maranello Speedster
Epiphone Biscuit Resonator
Epiphone MM-30 Mandolin
Quote by iolas
So I have a stuido in my basement...all kinds of electrics hanging on hangers with a couple of solid top/laminate b/s acoustics. I have just purchased my first all solid acoustic and it is on its way. I got an indoor hygrometer and it's staying around 45 to 55% @ around 65 degress F. I guess it should be ok to keep the guitar out of the case on a hanger or should I still keep it in the case?(the case that will be coming with it also has a built in hygrometer).

Those are ideal conditions. Not to worry, just take a look at the hygrometer every once in a while.
Quote by iolas

It's a little on the chilly side, but it should still be perfectly fine. Wouldn't change a thing.
Equipment:

Sorry for bumping this up but I was wondering...
So, I know about taking care of my guitar in the winter, but what about spring and summer?
I just recently bought a Seagull and paid $700.00 for it, hard top, it's my first real 'nice' guitar and I really don't wanna take a chance of ruining it.

Is it safe to leave it out on it's stand or should I still put it in it's case? Will it get too hot in it's case?