I'm not sure if any of you remember me but I've been asking a lot of amp questions recently. For those of you who don't know I'm really into blues, classic rock, country, and a little bit of hard rock (ac/dcish stuff)

Anyway, in my quest for an amp that doesn't suck (right now I'm playin a squier strat through a fender frontman ) I've been given basically the same two answers:

Roland MicroCube
Vox Valvetronix

My question is if I really need a modeling amp, or if, since I know what I want to play (not metal) it makes sense for me to get a low-budget tube amp (i.e: Epi valve jr, Fender Champion 5w, Peavy Valve King Royal 8) and some low-cost effects pedals.

I really don't know all that much about electric guitar gear. All I know is that for the styles of music I want to play and that I like playing, tube amps seem to be the amp of choice for better tone.

So, what should I do here?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
How much money do you want to spend, are you willing to go used, and if yes, what major metro center are you located?
Quote by imgooley
How much money do you want to spend, are you willing to go used, and if yes, what major metro center are you located?

Ok, well my funds are fairly/very limited, depending on how you see it. Preferably <$200 US, but I want quality that will last me for a while. Why the low funds? Well I'm 16 and currently have no job. Hopefully I get the job I applied for at Best Buy in Music, Software, and Gaming though . Anyway, yes, I am VERY willing to go used. Whatever will give me lower funds without sacrificing quality is fine by me! And my metro area is....well, almost non-existant. Wichita Kansas. And if you know anything about this wasteland you get an e-cookie

By the way, we DO have a GC. And a little place near where I live, but they only sell metal-type stuff. Oh, and pawn shops! Lots and lots of pawn shops!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
anything with tubes will sound alright. you might want to stay away from the brittish voiced tube amps if youre really concerned about the cleans. and also keep in mind that although those 200-250 dollar amps would sound much better than what you have you can get a whole lot more amp for a hundred or two more. id suggest just about any fender tube amp in your price range. hot rods are nice. and one other thing im assuming that the squier is your first axe in which case no matter how badly it plays or how much hate youve developed being tied to it only for so long DONT GET RID OF IT! ! ! its your first guitar! ! ! its worth little enough that you can save up a little extra to avoid the trade in and when youre an old man youll be glad you did. TRUST ME DUDE!
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
anything with tubes will sound alright. you might want to stay away from the brittish voiced tube amps if youre really concerned about the cleans. and also keep in mind that although those 200-250 dollar amps would sound much better than what you have you can get a whole lot more amp for a hundred or two more. id suggest just about any fender tube amp in your price range. hot rods are nice. and one other thing im assuming that the squier is your first axe in which case no matter how badly it plays or how much hate youve developed being tied to it only for so long DONT GET RID OF IT! ! ! its your first guitar! ! ! its worth little enough that you can save up a little extra to avoid the trade in and when youre an old man youll be glad you did. TRUST ME DUDE!

Hey man, thanks for the advice. The only problem is I don't have anywhere close to enough money to buy a higer-priced amp unless I get the job I applied for. Thanks for the tip though. If I get the job I'll definately save up for a better amp!

Oh, and I'm NEVER getting rid of my squier. When the day comes that I have kids I'm gonna pass it on to them to learn on, along with my acoustic . Honestly I love that little piece of crap to death!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i hate to sound like an old man lecturing but to get gear youre happy with to make your experience of playing the guitar as enjoyable as possible is very important if youre serious about playing and working for it is worth it. even at minimum wage working 20 hours a week youd probably be able to save up 1200 in three months as long as you just put it all away and just do what youre doing now and spend no money. think of it as boot camp to prove yourself worthy of sweet gear. you could get a great sounding amp, a very playable guitar, and some effects to play with if you spend wisely. get a job at mcdonalds or taco bell if you have to. you will be glad you did when youre playing on your very own custom selected rig. buying stuff thats better but not good enough in the long run ends up costing more anyway.
Then a Crate V series will work for what you want.

It's a good amp for intro into all tube amps, and for price/toanz, it beats most other amps IMO.
Wow, thanks man. Great advice. Only problem is I have to pay to fill up my car. Luckily it gets decent milage and I only have to fill up about every week and a half-2 weeks, depending on how much I drive. I also have to pay for general maintenance stuff for my guitars, like new strings. But yeah, I really do need to save up and get gear I'll be happy with. This is something I realize. For now I can live with the frontman, but I do want good gear. On the other hand, the aquisition of good gear will lead to the desire to get MORE good gear, thus causing me to become infected with GAS. Gear is a double edged sword, I suppose. Of course, the sharper end is the one that helps me
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ok, so now that the error of my thinking has been shown to me, what should I be looking for? I absolutely LOVE blues, and because of that I don't think that will ever change, so what amps should I be looking for here? Should I be going for a stack so I'll never have to buy one and I'll just have it or should I be sensible and get a practice amp for now since I won't be doing any gigs for a while? I really want something that is versatile enough to play other genres too, but my main concern is the blues man
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd say take a look at the Crate V series amps; very affordable right now and I've heard they're good for blues. Also any of the tube Fender amps would be good for blues. Maybe look at a Champion 600 5w (never played one though), or if you can save a little more money, look at a Hot Rod series Blues junior or Pro junior.
If you get the job at Best Buy won't you get a discount and don't they sell guitar gear now?

Either way I'd skip the modelling amps - you know what you want to play and one of the low wattage tube amps would be perfect.

Try out the Fender Champ and the Gretsch Electromatic, they'll be great for getting you started.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, Best Buy gives discounts to employees, unfortunately they don't have much to offer amp wise. I checked craigslist for Wichita and didn't see much outside of a Fender Princeton 65 for $400.

I like the the Champ 600, SuperChamp and VibroChamp ideas from Fender. Crate Vs are on sale big time if you can find one.
Quote by Natrone
Ok, so now that the error of my thinking has been shown to me, what should I be looking for? I absolutely LOVE blues, and because of that I don't think that will ever change, so what amps should I be looking for here? Should I be going for a stack so I'll never have to buy one and I'll just have it or should I be sensible and get a practice amp for now since I won't be doing any gigs for a while? I really want something that is versatile enough to play other genres too, but my main concern is the blues man

You can get a good blues amp within your range if the Crate V's stay cheap.

The Valve Standard goes for 300 new, and is also a KILLER blues amp.

BTW, my avatar is John Lee Hooker. I know my blues.
I thought the V series were more British rock tone than blues tone. Once I get a job my budget size will increase dramatically. So I should be able to go with a valve standard or a Fender bluesman. I think.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
So I was just looking at MF and GC. Neither one had the valve standard. Were they discontinued?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^Yes. They still have them on AMS.
What's AMS?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Nevermind. Google'd it.

Anyway, they were out of stock on AMS. Plus I'd really like to try one before I buy
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Ok, so it seems as though the epi standard is out. I really want to have something with controls. So now I'm thinking I'll save up a little more cash and get a Blues Jr. But I'm afraid it might be too loud for bedroom/basement playing, and since it doesn't have an output jack for my phones...well lets just say my mom does not appreciate hearing me practice. It'd probly be fine if I were better but right now I'm still relatively new to guitar. I've only been playing for a little over a year. So is 15w too much?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Oh, also, has anyone tried Blackheart amps? How do they sound? They have a 5w model that has Bass, Mid, Treb, and Master Volume controls. It also comes in a half stack . Has anyone tried these before?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray