I just got an 8 track fostex (all our band could afford), and it has two mic and two line inputs. I dont have it yet but what is the best way to record drums to get as close to studio quality as possible? We have a full pa system so should we:
1. mic all the drums, run it into the pa, then mic the pa to the fostex?
2. Use both inputs on the fostex and just put the recording mics strategically to record live drums?
3. Is there any way to link the pa to the fostex using the preamp ouput?
4. Any other options?
Thanks
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I would mic the drums with all the mics you have in the best arrangement you can get them and feed them into an analog mixer such as one of the Yamaha MG series. Then run the output of that mixer into two mono inputs of your MTR and record in stereo.

You won't be able to do anything to each mic after it's recorded so using the mixer, tweak to get a great sound before recording and be sure nothing is clipping.

Or you can always go with a software based drum kit such as something from Toontrack...
it will take some time to program your drum beats but they will sound great in the end.

MTR based setups are great for mobile recording rigs but they are a little higher in price to start out with. You can get interfaces for great prices these days and if you have a nice laptop ordesktop theres nothing else holding you back really.
I suggest saving up before just spending such a small amount on recording gear next time. Get great gear from the start and you will be very happy with it for a long time.
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 28, 2008,
I def agree with not spending so little now, but thats kind of how were gettin by, by upgrading when we get the money...were still in college so dont have much income, and really want to get some tracks out now...next year were gettin a house together to build a small studio, and drop a good amount of money, just cause recording in studio costs so much
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Recording in a studio is pricey, but don't forget that the equipment prices for a full, high quality recording setup are considerable, and then you need the necessary knowledge and experience to make good tracks with that equipment.

I'm not trying to put you off, recording is a very enjoyable and satisfying process. I'm just pointing these things out.
There is poetry in despair.
Recording in a studio is expensive, but to get the same quality that you would get in a studio, you will need to spend even more than you would to go to a studio. Think of it as the difference between owning and renting.

The big advantage of going to a studio is that you don't have to endure the learning curve of recording. Think of recording as learning a new instrument. How good a guitar player were you after only two years of playing? Compare that to how good of a 'recorder' you will be after two years of recording. You didn't want to wait two years to be a competent amature, did you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
... two years to be a competent amature,...

CT

this is the truth, "two years" and "competent amateur" go very well together in a sentence.
What I used to do with my 8-track before I got v-drums was put a mic outside the door of the room about 10 feet from my set and pointed it between the snare and bass drum. Maybe hang another mic above the kit if you can spare the extra channel. It won't sound good but if your just trying to make cheap demos you can get away with it.