So I've been wanting to learn some classical fingerpicking stuff. But the problem is that I only have an electric guitar. Now my question is should I just keep the electric and fingerpick or invest in a classical guitar. And what classical songs sound good on electric? I do kinda dig the slightly crunchy tone of electric ...

Oh and Idk if this is the right forum but since I own an electric I think it is.
Ya know, the ironic thing bout electric is anythin ya can do on an acoustic or a classical guitar, you can also do an electric. So don't go spend $200 if ya can and want to do it on a electric. Jus turn on the clean channel.

And some of Johnny Cash's stuff sounds pretty good fingerpicked.
definitelly learn the finger picing classical on the electric. it would be just like learning rock on roll on nylon strings.... ABSOLUTELY THE BEST WAY TO LEARN! ! ! !
Quote by rockhardmetal
Ya know, the ironic thing bout electric is anythin ya can do on an acoustic or a classical guitar, you can also do an electric. So don't go spend $200 if ya can and want to do it on a electric. Jus turn on the clean channel.

+1 but you dont get the actual sound from a classical guitar.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
If you have the money, why not? But if you dont, classical songs still sound fine on an electric with the right little changes.
Quote by rockhardmetal

And some of Johnny Cash's stuff sounds pretty good fingerpicked.

megadeath is to metallica as danny devito is to arnold schwartzeneger in that movie twins. just the leftover crap. boo ya to you sir
Quote by souperman08

is that him actually playing it?
I thought that was steve vai?!
I'm confused.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Get a classical, they have the sweetest sound of any accoustic guitar, but get a good one or you waste your money. I love playing my classical and always marvel at how great it sounds recorded. The nylon strings are GREAT for doing pulloffs etc and the spaced out strings make for easy fingerpicking. Anyone who says play on electric obviously does not play classical on a classical.
Quote by Tempoe
Get a classical, they have the sweetest sound of any accoustic guitar, but get a good one or you waste your money. I love playing my classical and always marvel at how great it sounds recorded. The nylon strings are GREAT for doing pulloffs etc and the spaced out strings make for easy fingerpicking. Anyone who says play on electric obviously does not play classical on a classical.

+1
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by Panderan
So I've been wanting to learn some classical fingerpicking stuff. But the problem is that I only have an electric guitar. Now my question is should I just keep the electric and fingerpick or invest in a classical guitar. And what classical songs sound good on electric? I do kinda dig the slightly crunchy tone of electric ...

Oh and Idk if this is the right forum but since I own an electric I think it is.

Are you talking about neoclassical crap, e.g. Malmsteen, or are you talking about doing an overdriven "Asturias?"

If it's the former, go for it - it's been done. If it's the latter, then you have got to be shitting me.

If you want to play classical, get a classical guitar. End of.
Quote by kool98769
is that him actually playing it?
I thought that was steve vai?!
I'm confused.

I'm pretty sure it's Steve Vai. I know it's not the actor playing, heh. And the guy he's battling is Steve Vai too, heh.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
I'm pretty sure it's Steve Vai. I know it's not the actor playing, heh. And the guy he's battling is Steve Vai too, heh.

I know.
i was confused as hell.
It looks like he's actually playing it n stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
I know.
i was confused as hell.
It looks like he's actually playing it n stuff.

The guy playing the kid's parts was either Ry Cooder or Rusty Cooley... can't remember which.
ok, so I guess I should buy a classical. But first I need to upgrade my electric so I was thinking of buying the purple PRS with bats. Good choice or no?
Quote by Panderan
ok, so I guess I should buy a classical. But first I need to upgrade my electric so I was thinking of buying the purple PRS with bats. Good choice or no?

What, this one?

This is one of the only times a PRS SE comes recommended from me. The Allenders are actually pretty sweet. You can do better, I think, but I won't frown upon the decision to get it.
Quote by GuitarGuy X
+1 but you dont get the actual sound from a classical guitar.

It's overrated. I have a Spanish guitar, trust me lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
playing classical on an electric will sound fine. thats not really the issue here. the fact is, classical guitars are set up differently than steel string acoustics or electrics. they have wider necks and just feel different. i would much rather play classical on a guitar made for it, it just feels better.
Just play a 12 string guitar with 6 nylon strings.
Same feel, right there.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
That's actually kind of a good idea. Except you couldn't play it amplified... so you might as well just go the extra mile and get a normal classical with a solid top, gorgeous tone, and irritating, finnicky tuners. Remember to grow out your fingernails, buy a footstool, and get ready to shelve your pride in exchange for good technique, straight posture and a strong ring finger!