Hello. Recently I bought a MIM Strat, and although its obviously better than my peavey raptor plus, there are some issues.

Best way to sum it up is a list:

1. Strange overtone when playing two strings next to each other
2. A strange bassy sound when strumming (that can even make a clean sound seem distorted)
3. A sharp (like real trebely) sound sharp bending on the E string (even unplugged)
4. Loose whammy bar, causing some sort of rattle

Are these some pretty common things with the new MIM strats? (I asked a tech, and he said those overtones are pretty common)

What things should I check out?

And finally, should I go out and get a setup and a new pickup, or is there something else I should doing? ( dont say buy a MIA, because I dont have the money)

I am also long winded, so i hope this isnt confusing.
Does your's have a maple fretboard? Maple makes your guitar sound "sharper" if you have been playing rosewood all these while. My Les Paul gives me a bassy sound as well when strumming.If its too bassy, get yourself a better amp. Others, i'm not too sure
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Well, you might wanna consider lowerin your pickup. (Lower it, raise it til you hear those things happenin. Then lower it a quarter turn. If needed, lower it another quarter turn after that.) Even unplugged that can cause the problems you've described.

Also, you might wanna check the action on it.

And to quote Jeff Beck (who has been called 'the Strat Cat' on more than 1 occassion) on Strats, "The Strat is the worst possible instrument there is. You've really got to grab it by the neck to get a good tone out of it". So, even 1 of the great strat players had problems with his strat. Don't sweat it, man. Once these problems are fixed, it'll be a beautiful-sounding axe.
Last edited by rockhardmetal at Oct 27, 2008,
Yeah, im fairly certain that there is a bridge issue coming on all this, but dont know what. yea, its maple, but its not that kind of sharp sound, the note comes out, but there is this screeech that comes out from over it (only if i do a really sharp bend)
I think its probably your amp settings. Was your guitar set up for you?
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
well, it was bought online. The amp shouldnt be the issue, because the EQ is on my ZOOM pedal, and the EQ on thats been fine on other guitars.