Hey all.

I'm new to guitar. I started at the beginning of September. Basically I still suck. I can't play that well. But I know that I have a gear problem right now.

My current guitar is an Ibanez GRG 170DX. I like the guitar overall except for one problem. It does NOT stay in tune no matter what.

It's not a problem with the bridge - although the guitar has a floating bridge, I have locked it down and set this guitar up VERY nicely with a nice low action and almost no fret buzzing. But for some reason it's still extremely prone to going out of tune literally every 5 minutes. It drives me nuts. I have a feeling the tuners might just suck because I've lubed the nut and everything, the strings are stretched, etc.. The climate doesn't change in the room I play in either, so that's not it.

Anyway, I figure I need a new guitar that's going to stay in tune better, and I don't want to drop money into changing the tuners in an ibanez guitar that will never be worth more than $300 anyway..

I am thinking about a telecaster or maybe a les paul copy. My budget is pretty slim. I want to trade in my 170DX which is in near perfect condition (2 clear coat scratches on the back near the trem springs I made when I was setting up the trem tension..bleh) and I can throw in maybe 200$ or so in cash at the most. I'll be shopping in Tokyo around the Ochanomizu area or possibly Shibuya and I'm ok with used guitars too.

My style of music... I like a lot of 70's stuff such as The Guess Who (Think Bachman-Turner Overdrive kind of sound), Queen, a lot of Satriani's stuff, I also like the occasional country music and blues sound.

What do you folks recommend? Really, the most important thing to me is that the damn thing stays in tune, and it should be a decent guitar for the money I'll be throwing at it - at this point like $400 ish, with used being OK for me.

Any help appreciated big time.
Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster. That is in your price range-ish and can tackle most things you throw at it. Ideal beginner guitar in my opinion.
Try this 1st BEFORE you go gettin a new guitar. The lockin nut pieces, unlock them. Jus tighten them nough that you can still tune by usin the tuning pegs. I got that tip from a guitar tech who's been playin since the '70s. And, trust me, it works.
if i were you, i'd just buy one of the beginner guitar+amp packs for like 100 bucks. that way you'll hopefully have a guitar that stays in tune and you won't have spent a bunch of money on a guitar that may not fit your style once it's developed a bit.
Quote by SlashYourFug
if i were you, i'd just buy one of the beginner guitar+amp packs for like 100 bucks. that way you'll hopefully have a guitar that stays in tune and you won't have spent a bunch of money on a guitar that may not fit your style once it's developed a bit.

Makes sense, but you're essentially wasting 100$, so I'd have to disagree.
i dont need an amp, i play through my computer using amplitube

i definitely do not need a 100$ guitar/amp combo.

what i need a guitar that is decent, a guitar that will stay in tune and something that sounds good. i would keep my current guitar if it would stay in tune. there is nothing that i or any guitar tech can do to keep it in tune, the guitar isn't worth the extra stuff i'd need to do to make it stay in tune.

the answer is a better guitar..

i checked out the HSS stratocaster, it's interesting but i worry about the floating bridge. something with a fixed bridge might be better.
I have an HSS stratocaster, and I find that it stays in tune great. When you get it though, take a small phillips head screw driver and tighten the screws in the tuners, it will help.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply