Ya whats up dudes ya my friend told me tremolo picking is a pretty good skill like not to many people out of guitar can do it i mean theres probley alot but there probley alot more that fail so tell me if its kinda of a unquie thing

because im pretty good at tremolo like BYOB the sound of thruth and the beginer song i think thats beginer tremolo inside the fire
Last edited by vinxle at Oct 28, 2008,
Yeah, SlashYourFug is right, it's not too hard, and anything that is playing really fast is more than likely it. It isn't something few guitarists can do, it's something that every good guitarist can do without thinking about it.

But it is extremely useful, and an excellent skill to learn.
Tremelo picking jus requires that you practice it. Get to where you can do it cleanly and effortlessly. I personally, tho I can do it well, prefer to use other techniques in my solos, etc. (Sweeping, tapping, etc.) The key IS practice, practice, and PRACTICE. Practice til your fingers are sore. Literally!
Quote by Drool_Mouse
and anything that is playing really fast is more than likely it.

This phrase right here, NO! Just NO! It can be it, but a lot of the time it isn't. For example, Eddie Van Halen (the inventor of 2-hand tapping) used trem picking to build up tension or sometimes at the end of solos. But anything that is fast is usually jus good skill. Consider 'Eruption', the song that really showcased 2-hand tapping. The tapping section in that song is fairly fast. But by no means can you call that section tremelo picking, especially as he does tremelo picking before he starts the tapping section.
Quote by rockhardmetal
This phrase right here, NO! Just NO! It can be it, but a lot of the time it isn't. For example, Eddie Van Halen (the inventor of 2-hand tapping) used trem picking to build up tension or sometimes at the end of solos. But anything that is fast is usually jus good skill. Consider 'Eruption', the song that really showcased 2-hand tapping. The tapping section in that song is fairly fast. But by no means can you call that section tremelo picking, especially as he does tremelo picking before he starts the tapping section.

He said more than likely, meaning usually, and he's right. Obviously not every fast piece is tremolo picked but a good chunk of it is.
Quote by SlashYourFug
anybody you've ever heard play a fast solo is most likely tremolo picking, and most people can do it within a month or two of playing.

it's not unique in any way, shape or form, but it is a really useful skill to learn.

Bollocks - tremolo picking is a limited technique that's rarely used. It's not a massively useful skill, however newbies tend to be under the misguided belief that it's some magic shortcut to fast playing and obsess over it.

In reality it's not overly useful and it's far from being a vital technique...it's something you'd use less than 1% of your playing time unless you're Dick Dale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 29, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
Bollocks - tremolo picking is a limited technique that's rarely used. It's not a massively useful skill, however newbies tend to be under the misguided belief that it's some magic shortcut to fast playing and obsess over it.

In reality it's not overly useful and it's far from being a vital technique...it's something you'd use less than 1% of your playing time unless you're Dick Dale.

Or if you play Black metal. Then the default way to play a riff is to tremolo pick it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Death metal uses it a lot as well. You're friend seems like one of those people who say bull just to sound smart.

Tremolo picking is EASIER then alternate picking at a decently fast tempo.

OFF TOPIC

Quote by rockhardmetal
For example, Eddie Van Halen (the inventor of 2-hand tapping)

I wouldn't say he INVENTED it, but he brought it to a new level.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Oct 29, 2008,
Okay, I've heard the term 'Tremolo Picking' multiple times, but I don't know what it means.

Is it just picking up and down fast?
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Okay, I've heard the term 'Tremolo Picking' multiple times, but I don't know what it means.

Is it just picking up and down fast?

Essentially, but it's coordinated. You aren't just blasting out fast notes, you're playing 16th, or in extreme cases 32nd notes. They're measured, timed notes. I've met a lot of people who say "I can tremolo pick!" then proceed to blat out a sloppy, unorganized mess of notes. Youtube anything by Dick Dale, that should give you an idea.

As far as it's usefulness, that's up for debate. I know a lot of guys who rarely use it, while I know others who use it a lot, it just depends on what sounds good to your ears. I'll agree that it doesn't come up a whole lot, but it is a handy tool to have in your arsenal.

And no, it's not particularly rare, though I can't see someone doing it within a month or two of learning the guitar and making it sound even roughly in time or coherent. IMHO it's a technique better saved until you have a year or two under your belt and you have an understanding of timing and note phrasing.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
^^^ Yeah that's what I meant, fast, but under control. I guess I just don't get the 'Tremolo' term, when I here tremolo I think either a tremolo bar on the bridge, or a Tremolo Pedal.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
It's fast picking, but as the guy above said, timed picking (in control) such as 16th notes. Anyone can randomly pick very fast. Picking very fast and keeping time with several notes in succession requires a fair amount of practice.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by DeltaFunk
^^^ Yeah that's what I meant, fast, but under control. I guess I just don't get the 'Tremolo' term, when I here tremolo I think either a tremolo bar on the bridge, or a Tremolo Pedal.

This may belay my ignorance, but I have no idea why they call it a tremolo bar. IMHO it should be a vibrato bar.

Tremolo basicly means a rapid repetition of a single tone or rapid alternation of two tones
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
This may belay my ignorance, but I have no idea why they call it a tremolo bar. IMHO it should be a vibrato bar.

Tremolo basicly means a rapid repetition of a single tone or rapid alternation of two tones

Well, you got it half right.

Tremolo is repeated volume changes on a single note. Tremolo picking is just one way to achieve it. Tremolo pedals are a lot smoother.

Rapid alteration between two note may be a trill (if they are 1 note in the scale apart), or it could just be rapid alternation.

The "tremolo" bar is correctly termed as a whammy bar (pitch shifting). It could also be a vibrato bar, but most can do for more extreme changes than regular vibrato.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Well, you got it half right.

Tremolo is repeated volume changes on a single note. Tremolo picking is just one way to achieve it. Tremolo pedals are a lot smoother.

Rapid alteration between two note may be a trill (if they are 1 note in the scale apart), or it could just be rapid alternation.

The "tremolo" bar is correctly termed as a whammy bar (pitch shifting). It could also be a vibrato bar, but most can do for more extreme changes than regular vibrato.

Thanks man, I always enjoy learning new things.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H