I have a squier strat(i know i know not the best guitar in the world, but its what i have), and the action seemes really high. I have set the saddles as low as they go and the strings are still high above the frets. What is a good general gap measurement from string to fret? I did adjust the truss rod to straighten it out a bit, it seemed to help, but they are still high enough that I have to conciously curl my fingers to not touch the string below it. I have seen pictures of the saddles on other guitars and they are not set as low as mine, yet the strings are not as high as mine.

On the squier strats can the whole bridge assembly be lowered/raised?
it's because it's a beginner guitar. beginner guitars almost always have higher action because it's better for learning on. that conscious curling of the fingers will train you to only hit one string at a time and will actually make you better.
bottom string (low E) to 2.00mm and the top string (high E) to 1.5mm
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
for action, hold the fret where the body meets the neck. . . and also hold the first fret, so that your low E will be a straightedge. . . . then around the 6th or 7th fret there should be about a 64th inch gap, maybe at most a 32nd.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
According to Dan Elrewine (who wrote "Guitar Player Repair Guide" and is a professional guitar tech), the factory specs for a Fender is 4/64 of an inch. This should be measured at the 17th fret, with a standard inch ruler and open strings.
2mm is kind of high maybe?? on my guitar i use 1.8mm for the low e and 1.5mm for the high e. they could go lower but you WILL get fret buzz on most guitars lower than that once you get past the 6th fret.

a US 1 cent coin is 1.55mm thick, so slide that under the 12th fret and adjust your bridge until it fits without rubbing the string, then pull the penny out and lower it just a tad. do the same thing for the low E but add a bit more height to ward off the fret buzz..

should work. make sure you didn't screw up your neck with your truss rod adjustment. there should only be a slight bow (the middle of the neck should dip a bit). it shouldn't be huge. stick a meter/yardstick on the frets and check. too much or too little neck relief and low action = fret buzz city.

hope this helps.
The saddles are as low as they go, and a US 1 cent coin still fits X_X.

I know my bridge needs to be lowered so I guess my real question is can this be done on squier strats?
Last edited by xar3si at Oct 28, 2008,
well this is at your own risk but you could try replacing the screws or cutting the bottom of the screws off and then you'd be able to adjust the bridge down further..!

i should clarify, when you slide the 1cent coin in you should put it on the actual frets not between the frets. i think this defies what a lot of the guitar books say but meh..

hope you can get your problem worked out.
Quote by paradoxbox
well this is at your own risk but you could try replacing the screws or cutting the bottom of the screws off and then you'd be able to adjust the bridge down further..!

i should clarify, when you slide the 1cent coin in you should put it on the actual frets not between the frets. i think this defies what a lot of the guitar books say but meh..

hope you can get your problem worked out.

Yes the coin is on the actual fret, in fact I could probably fit another one on top of it before it even comes close to the string...I might just give up until I can afford a real guitar.
The first thing you need to do is check the relief. If you have a capo set it at the first fret and then hold the Low E string at about the 19th fret. I set mine pretty flat, about 10 thousands. Tip: grab the end of an old high E string and see if you can slide it between the string and the seventh fret wire while the string is being held down if yes then tighten the truss rod up a bit till its real close. Never turn the rod adustment more then 1/4 turn then wait for 30 minutes and check again.

Once the relief is set then adjust the bridge. I set most guitars up with 4/64th measured at the 12th fret.

You may need the neck shimmed.

I would just take it in to a GOOD tech and have it set up and have a fret level and dressing done. You won't believe its the same guitar when you get it back. Usually around $125.00, worth every penny IMHO.