But when you guys [guitarists] play your riffs, this applies to lead or rhythm, where do you usually start? Do you use the pentatonic scale or any random scale? How often do you use hammer ons? How do you think you're style developed? I've made a theory that possibly if you were to play a certain bands songs for so long you eventually end up playing like them, what's your opinion?

I'm trying to use this so I can write my own rock song. I can come up with a bass line and drum beat but I cannot come up with a riff to save my life, Speak to me =D

[If this is the wrong forum say so and i'm gone]
I listened to it and it sounds good to me. Maybe if you added a little more, I don't know what but just a bit more to kind of bring it together you've got your beat down you just needa add that extra oomph.
thanx and usually pentatonic for metal

major for rock

and blues scale for blues
I use every scale I can find. And I usually start and/or end my riffs with hammer ons.
It depends

I take a technique i like and a scale and mesh them, i use hammer ons and things, but i like string skipping and accentuating PH alot more
I use 3 scales mainly. The Ionian (a. k. a. Natural Major or jus Major), the Mixolydian, and the Aeolian (a. k. a. Natural Minor or jus Minor). And usually I jus start foolin around and somethin comes to me. Tho, often I tend to write it in these 3 scales.
Pinch harmonics are nice but only when you get em just right.

Recently I've been really trying to take riffs from stuff like acdc and led zeppelin, and then meshing them together in a way.

I think that's my block I keep trying to combine two bands. You think it's possible to do so for someone who's been playing about a 1 1/2?
Quote by ChrisL120
they have tutorials on the major scales right?

Yes, they do. Try googlin it for free lessons/free tutorials. You don't really wanna pay for it til you determine if you're gonna actively pursue it for awhile.
Its very common for someone around that area to end up sounding like their influences

I'd jsut keep tweaking until you get that technique they are using down, and take it to a new key, and just fiddle

I've been at it 5 years, i've gotten to the point that i hear the techs that my fav bands us and i incorperate them so you can hear the influence but it sounds totally different
Ok i've heard of those, are they modes or major scales?

I know one major scale that goes

e|----------------------------------------------------------12-14-15
B|----------------------------------------------12-13-15------------
G|----------------------------------11-12-14------------------------
D|-----------------------10-12-14-----------------------------------
A|------------10-12-14----------------------------------------------
E|-10-12-14---------------------------------------------------------

I thought they were called "modes though" I use it whenever I solo, but not when I play riffs.
Last edited by ChrisL120 at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I've been at it 5 years, i've gotten to the point that i hear the techs that my fav bands us and i incorperate them so you can hear the influence but it sounds totally different

That's the thing I know I'm getting much better from when I first played guitar, but my problem is riffs. I can play one riff but I can't find one that compliments it so that it all sorta just goes well together.

Besides bar chords...
Quote by ChrisL120
Pinch harmonics are nice but only when you get em just right.

Recently I've been really trying to take riffs from stuff like acdc and led zeppelin, and then meshing them together in a way.

I think that's my block I keep trying to combine two bands. You think it's possible to do so for someone who's been playing about a 1 1/2?

The best results come from improvisin your own stuff. Don't try to copy other bands. It usually doesn't work.
Quote by ChrisL120
Ok i've heard of those, are they modes or major scales?

I know one major scale that goes

e|----------------------------------------------------------12-14-15
B|----------------------------------------------12-13-15------------
G|----------------------------------11-12-14------------------------
D|-----------------------10-12-14-----------------------------------
A|------------10-12-14----------------------------------------------
E|-10-12-14---------------------------------------------------------

I thought they were called "modes though" I use it whenever I solo, but not when I play riffs.

Modes are scales that all come from the root. Basically, a mode takes the major scale (a. k. a. the Ionian mode) and moves the 1st note from the front to the back. For example, the 1st mode, the Ionian, goes thru intervals like this W, W, H, W, W, W, H. The 2nd goes W, H, W, W, W, H, W and so on til the 7th and last mode. The Modes, in order from 1st to 7th, are Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. There's a good article at wikipedia that explains the modes very well; it's here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_modes.
MUCH appreciated. I've looked all over the net and never was able to fully understand what a mode is. Thanks man
Yeah the wikipedia article on modes should teach you most of what you need to know.

First off, I will point out, playing chords with distortion isn't a very good idea. I would explain but, I will probably just end up confusing myself. So use powerchords, and you can always use variations on them.

When using scales to help compose, make sure you don't just ascend and descend the scale. Find notes in the scale, intervals which you like the sound of. Try imagine what you want to play in your head then work it out. Chances are at the stage your at, it will involve the major scale.

The major scale doesn't really change with every different key. If you look at the major scale there are particular shapes that can be used on the guitar, however there is theory behind it. I reccomend you learn the circle of fifths, also, try learning the major scale on piano.

The intervals (relationship of pitch between each notes) is the same with all the major scales. (ionian)

I assume you know that notes in music only go upto G# and that B and E do not have sharps.

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
.    .    . .    .    .    . .
T    T    S T    T    T    S

T - Tone
S - Semitone

This pattern applies to every major scale. All scales have a pattern, that is what makes the scale distinct, I reccomend you learn others.

First off start learning the minor scale, and then move onto modes. Alot of things are explained in music with things such as the lydian mode is

1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

That means it is like the major scale, but the 4th note of the major scale is raised a semitone. Play around with scales, I find alot of the time if you put a basic guitar rhythm (you can always do new things as you advance, but maybe just start by doing what the bass does with the rhythm guitar, ALOT of bands do this. Just have the guitar do powerchords of what the bass is doing) and then add a lead part which will come to you by just playing the scale over the top until you find something you like.

Also, I'm not sure of this, but you may not be writing in the same key... Find out what key the music you are writing is in, it will help you write other parts alot faster.

By the way, wrong forum.

Edit: Just attached an attempt at writing similar to ACDC. It's quite short, it's mainly using the E minor scale, notably the E minor pentatonic.
Attachments:
Idea 128.1.zip
Last edited by Regression at Oct 28, 2008,
i would say it mostly comes with time. i dont think you can think up a riff that sounds as good as one that just comes to you. keeping things natural and flowing is key in music. thus, using a scale to keep it all together works for me. i use c minor alot. i also use e major. thats just how i am i think.. so i guess just find your happy zone.