Urm ... I'm kinda tied up. And with no means of testing an SG. (darn international life)
Love the SG's.
So I wanna know ... between the SG Classic and the SG Standard which is the best?
I play Blues, classic Rock, bit of pop rock, mainstream punk, a good amount of metal (a'la metallica )

Oh yea. I like to play rhythm a lot. Chords. ^_^
Though I go for lead sometimes. Chords are still my style

PS. (I mean those from the factory without any mods)
Last edited by AsherKetchum at Oct 28, 2008,
You've already made a correct decision here by looking at SG's at all
I'd say the SG Standard is better, but if you're on any kind of budget the SG Classic is cheaper and also very awesome... so if the $400 difference is a big deal the SG Classic is an excellent choice but overall I'd go for the SG Standard.
SG Standard: Cherry
SG Classic: Wine Red
Hope this helps
If money is *no* option whatsoever you may as well hit up the mothership of SG's (thus the mothership of all guitars ) the Angus Young Signature. Once I picked it up I haven't (and won't ever) put it down
Unfortunatly it'll run you a cool $2,500 :S
of course you'd love the angus young sig. you're name has acdc in it haha.

i'd go for the standard, much better workmanship in gibson's midrange. it's worth the extra cash
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
depends on your budget, sir.
if money won't let you down - Standard.
if you're short on the dollar - Classic.

I've played both
and I have to say, the difference is slim IMO.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
the sg classic has p-90s, which would probably be amazing for lower gain stuff, but if youre going to be playing metal, the sg standard has really hot humbuckers, which would be way better.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by AC/DC73
If money is *no* option whatsoever you may as well hit up the mothership of SG's (thus the mothership of all guitars ) the Angus Young Signature. Once I picked it up I haven't (and won't ever) put it down
Unfortunatly it'll run you a cool $2,500 :S

I think you might be an SG/AC/DC fanboy, therefore, your opinion is void.
ive played quite a few SG's and the best one ive played was a 61' reissue. i wouldnt go for an angus young signature.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I am an SG man all the way. It is the most badass guitar out the there. The original rebel rocker. Everyone has a Les Paul, so get an SG and wow people with it's stage presence. It's also much more comfortable to play that any other guitar (except maybe a strat)
Now heres' my breakdown with SGs I am familiar with:

SG Standard: 1600$
HOT humbuckers (for your metal playing needs)
Trapezoid inlays (look much better than dots)

SG Classic 1000$
P-90s (think Creedence Clearwater Revival (not a bad thing, but not for metal)
Dot inlays

SG 61 Reissue 2100$
57 classic pickups, not as hot as the Standard's pickups
Small Pickguard (I like the big one more)

WINNER: GIBSON SG STANDARD
The Standard won't let you down. It's orgasmic!
Quote by futurejimmypage
HOLEY MOLEY MACCARONI!!!! you are like 7 hours into the future. Whats it like? is the war over? is bush dead? Are the new episodes of family guy out yet? is global warming over? Did they unfreeze walt Disney???

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think so, the 57 pups are much better than the standards 490r and 498t pups.

Delboy

no their not. the 57 classic are very low output pickups. in fact its one of gibson's lowest output pups,