As an introduction for my band's set, I was hoping to do a partial cover of Lux Aeterna (the Theme to Requiem for a Dream). The problem is that the song is almost all strings (cellos, violins, etc). I've tabbed out the bass line, it's harmony, and a few melodies, but I'm concerned that it'll all sound lame on just a clean setting or reverb. Are there any effect pedals out there that simulate that smooth string (violin) sound? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to achieve such a sound? I would really like to perform this piece rather than play an mp3...
e-bow would be my guess

igoogle it up!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i use a strat thru a LITTLE bit of chorus and then volume pedal... works for me... sounds something like the intro of venice queen by rhcp (check the live version)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
you could try getting a REALLY expensive processor that has DOZENS if not BAKERS of DOZENS of effects that would do almost nothing but confuse you and make you use more electricity and stimulate today's struggling economy.

or use a keyboard that you already own.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
You could go nuts and use a finger slide...it would give a different angle to the song, although it would be damn hard if you arent already good!
Diezel, Motherfucker
the main difference between the sound of a guitar and a violin is that a violin doesnt have the pick attack.

like everyone is saying you need a volume swell, simplest but hardest way to do that is with the volume knob but that makes it hard to pick anything intricate, volume pedal would be a good idea as well or i think delay and/or noise gate pedals can do some kind of auto swell effect as well.
You need a limiter pedal that you can cut the attack on and lengthen the release. It would be more efficient than a volume pedal because you're not relying on your foot to do it.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
You need a limiter pedal that you can cut the attack on and lengthen the release. It would be more efficient than a volume pedal because you're not relying on your foot to do it.

yeah but on the flip side the more efficient effect of the limiter would be less natural and doesnt allow for the creative expression you could gain using a volume pedal.

the volume pedal would take quite a bit of practice though
You could get an actual violin bow (though cello sounds better) and get some rosin, a delay pedal, and play some sigur ros stuff. It sounds pretty cool, but you really do need a delay pedal.

And you get the violin feel and sound!
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
the effect you need is called a "Reshaper". It basically changes the attach time of the note. I'm not sure if anyone makes a pedal version specifically for guitar though.

Of course, with a little skill you can get the same effect with the volume knob on the guitar or a volume pedal.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis