Page 1 of 3
A small bit about me:
I suppose that as of 3 weeks ago I've been playing Guitar Hero for 1 year, starting from easy and now I play all the fun stuff on expert. Since I got a guitar 2 months ago I've been playing even more GH and focusing on more difficult stuff for longer periods of time trying to successfully improve finger strength (basically a fun way of making my pinky a manly pinky). GH opened my eyes how awesome guitar really is and a friend of mine who plays real guitar said if I can play GH on expert I should be able to get a grasp of how real guitar works with ease. (RIGHT GUYS? )

I'm making this thread to explain a little about my endeavors with the guitar and to ask more knowledgeable people if I'm on the right track as well as a decent amount of questions that have been on my min. SO..

I've been playing for about 2 months now. I have an Ibanez RG120 (holding a fender made me want to jump off a cliff) and a Spider III (because it's clearly the best amp in the world). My main interests are heavy metal, metalcore, and stuff that is basically fun to play. I enjoy bands such as Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, and I could list other bands that may not really matter but this is the basic area of music I'm trying to learn towards.

I am not taking classes from a teacher nor have I had any type of formal or informal lessons from anyone else who plays guitar. I've been listening to songs that either sound easy, or I just like how they sound, as well as asking a friend for suggestions from when he started. The most I've done is purchased a DVD that gave a very detailed (and very dumbed down) explanation of Easy, Medium, hard, and Expert difficulties of guitar hero and how they convert onto a real guitar. The DVD also came with some exercises as well which was kind of nice. I had figured out simple stuff like Thunderkiss '65 by Rob Zombie (which by the way I love John5. he's rowdy!) and a simplified version of Iron Man by Black Sabbath. While searching for other music to play I looked into power chords and figured out how chords work on standard E tuning which made songs make a hell of a lot more sense. It helped figure out how to play the main riff from My Name Is Jonas by Weezer. I've tried to do the same with drop D, C, and B tunings as well.

Which brings me to some questions...

So if you've read that, I ask, is this a decent way to go about things? I'm trying to learn simple parts of certain songs before really worrying about the actual names of chords and such (like those crazy barre chords or whatever, wtf is that..). I've been focusing more on just finger placement/strumming and producing a clean sound.

One song I love is The Pursuit of Vikings by Amon Amarth. Despite it being a song that is supposed to be for standard B tuning, it had a simple open gallop note which made me want to learn the song in the first place. However I've come to a point where I have some confusion. This is the area in question:

Starting from where the yellow box is, am I supposed to hold those frets and use my middle finger to mute the 4th string? Or should I be letting the bottom of my index finger gently lay across it as stated in freepowers muting video ( http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc )? OR should I be doing whatever feels right or lets me play the notes better?
What about this part of Fade to Black, starting with the yellow box?

Should I be muting 2 strings for this? (I probably won't actually be playing that part for a while. I'm doing the intro for starts )

My guitar has 2 pickups, and it took a bit to figure out that the switch I have allows me to choose the option of having the top, bottom, or both of them enabled from messing with them I only leave the bottom one (the one near the bridge) on because I like how it sounds for some reason. I had also noticed that one of my favorite guitarists used a guitar that only had 1 pickup and it was on the bottom, seen here:

A friend said he likes to use the top one only for basic riffs and stuff played on the lower strings, but then switches it to the bottom when he is using higher strings for solos and such.
Is there a real reason why I should be using one or the other, or is it all preference and the fact that I like the bottom one have to do with me enjoying a certain style of music?

This one is a real important one to be honest. This is how I wind up holding my pick half the time, and something tells me that this is wrong and/or bad. However if I'm strumming very fast (tremolo picking, right?) holding the pick like this seems to be the only way to do it without completely fudging everything up.

Good/bad? How do I fix it if it's bad? Are there situations where it's good?
Basically I watched a video of Dave Mustaine (rhythm/lead singer for Megadeth) a while ago and he had mentioned how he sometimes would angle the pick like so, but I can't recall if he did it for certain situations or whatnot sooo Any help on how I should really be holding the pick would be great.

Is there something I don't know about the tone button? I turn it up and when I move my fingers for chords across the strings I can hear the scrape ( I kind of like it!) and when it's all the way down I hear just about nothing. Does it do anything else?

If you want to be a real pal... if anyone has opinions on this dudes tutorials and such please feel free to give me input about him. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gitbad&view=videos Basically I'm curious if watching those is a good idea for learning new stuff or how to play those songs. And yes his fingers are freakishly long, you see that pinky? He was built for guitar...

I think that's about it for now... I'm probably forgetting other questions as well but this is what was on my mind at the moment. I'll ask more as they pop up

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!
Last edited by blgdinger at Oct 28, 2008,
I didnt really want to read all but ill say with the amon Amarth song they are called octaves, i generally mute the middle string with my index finger, just roll it over so it slightly touches it

as for fade to black it is finger picked,
>.>

my god that was a long psot

ummm this might be a long response

(btw, compared to the II, the Spider III is horrid)

See, the switch selector for me was always like this, Down = Sharp Up = Warmer, more run together

I never take it out of the down position, even for rhythm, it cuts clearer for me, and i'm running through seymour Duncans

Your pick holding is going to get tough to really pick faster once you get real speed going, and pinch harmonics are gonna be impossible, choke up, and keep your thumb closer to the tip, and you'll thank yourself in the long run, as PH are HUGE in metal and that position has allowed me to pick a TON faster than i could before. I only use my index and thumb, with the index curved inward so the pic is held by the side of it

Hope that helps!

as far as the first tab, i just lay my fingers across, as it mutes all the strings and allows more flow to your picking

the second is meant to be fingerpicked
What about like the the angle of the pick in terms of it's axis? should I try to hold it upright like | or at a bit of an angle like / (lets pretend the underline part is the string and I'm holding the pick parallel with the string as aforementioned)

edit: that probably made no sense. I mean like this

Is version 1 better than version 2?
Ok I didn't read all of it but I read a much I need.

Basically I'll tell you some stuff:

1)Get a teacher, this is EXTREMELY important for a beginner, go your own way AFTER a few years of experience.

2)GH is bullshit. Forget it, it may help your finger strength a little but it will never subsitute for the speed + accuracy you need to really play. If you're friend says GH and real guitar has a connection. He probably isn't as good as you think he is.

3)About the muting with the 4th finger thing. It doesn't really mater. For things like this most guitarist develop their own technique.

4)About the pickups. The bridge pickup has a more raw sound. Good for riffing. The Neck Pickup is better for sweeping. This always differs with different guitars but it's mostly like that. By this point I'm seriously doubting your friends abilities.

5)About the Pick. Yep, you're holding it badly wrong. This is why you should get a teacher when learning the basics, they get your basic form in order. Later you can be spontaneous. Now it's time to lay down the basics, the foundations for the more skillful techniques. You should be holding your pick between your thumb and index finger. Look at some youtube video's of renowned guitarist to get what I mean.

6)Good luck, man.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Ok I didn't read all of it but I read a much I need.

Basically I'll tell you some stuff:

1)Get a teacher, this is EXTREMELY important for a beginner, go your own way AFTER a few years of experience.

2)GH is bullshit. Forget it, it may help your finger strength a little but it will never subsitute for the speed + accuracy you need to really play. If you're friend says GH and real guitar has a connection. He probably isn't as good as you think he is.

3)About the muting with the 4th finger thing. It doesn't really mater. For things like this most guitarist develop their own technique.

4)About the pickups. The bridge pickup has a more raw sound. Good for riffing. The Neck Pickup is better for sweeping. This always differs with different guitars but it's mostly like that. By this point I'm seriously doubting your friends abilities.

5)About the Pick. Yep, you're holding it badly wrong. This is why you should get a teacher when learning the basics, they get your basic form in order. Later you can be spontaneous. Now it's time to lay down the basics, the foundations for the more skillful techniques. You should be holding your pick between your thumb and index finger. Look at some youtube video's of renowned guitarist to get what I mean.

6)Good luck, man.

The only things I can see transitioning over from GH is being able to pick 1 string fast (maybe not properly, but I can do it easily), and a basic sense of rhythm. Obviously not a flawless sense of hitting every note at the right time, but atm I'm worrying more about finger positioning rather than metronomes and all that jazz.

Like I said my friend likes to switch pickups for sweeps and solos and such. I think it just sounds awful :x

I think that my pick holding is a very bad result/habit from all my guitar hero playing I didn't choke down on the pick as much because it was so much easier to hit chords and when I hold it closely as aforementioned I produce some type of sound similar to wild animals dying.
but there's so little of the pick that it feels like my fingers are too close to the strings. Like my knuckle hair is brushing against them D:
I don't see how a pinch harmonic would be achievable this way..
You really don't need to be worrying about stuff like pinch harmonics yet - learn to actually play a bit before you learn to showboat. This isn't guitar hero, and that game won't help you at all. The learning curve for guitar is shallow and long and you can't learn everything at once. In all honesty the stuff you're trying to play is too advanced for you and you're not going to get an awful lot of benefit from trying those songs - you need to start at the beginning. You're doing the right thing in terms of concentrating on the mechanics of things in the early stages but you should still be making an effor to learn what it is you're actually doing as opposed to blindly following tabs.

How you actually hold the pick doesn't matter so much, but you only want a couple of millimeters or so showing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 28, 2008,
Well the guy above is right, PH isn't something to worry about yet, i was just looking towards the future. (they are easy, it lets you dip your finger slightly to get the sounds of them)

The mechanics are teh focus anyway. The reason you want to have less pick showing is because its harder to strum that way, at least for me, and it allows for quicker reaction
Quote by steven seagull
You really don't need to be worrying about stuff like pinch harmonics yet - learn to actually play a bit before you learn to showboat. This isn't guitar hero, and that game won't help you at all. The learning curve for guitar is shallow and long and you can't learn everything at once. In all honesty the stuff you're trying to play is too advanced for you and you're not going to get an awful lot of benefit from trying those songs - you need to start at the beginning. You're doing the right thing in therms of concentrating on the mechanics of things in the early stages but you should still be making an effor to learn what it is you're actually doing as opposed to blindly following tabs.

How you actually hold the pick doesn't matter so much, but you only want a couple of millimeters or so showing.

How are the songs not a good choice? They seem pretty basic and I thought they were allowing me to slowly feel around more of the fretboard. I don't why the **** people suggest It Smells Like Teen Spirit as a good beginner song. That shit is hard.

How is reading tabs not a good way to go about things? It's helping my hands learn positioning so I can be more comfortable around the fretboard. I don't see how anything is better than that until I'm prepared enough to learn more theory behind the notes and such... which I'm slowly doing at the moment (more like randomly figuring things out).

Also I think that's the best description on how to hold the pick I have no intentions of learning pinch harmonics now, just looking in the future :p

Smells like teen Spirit is pretty much the easiest song i could think of for a begginer

All power chords, and the single notes are in a slow pattern thats easy to follow

the chord strumming is just in alternate picking, so its up and down strokes, pretty easy bro
What are the XXXXXX's?

From the noob point of view hitting 3 strings at once is far more difficult than more tedious picking of 1 string... :\
first off conrgats on the first guitar ( my first was also an ibanez RG).
to start of focus on chords, not barre chords, normal chords, works on finger strength and placement, and allowing you to pick the strings you want which will be helpful for barre chords. it really helped me.
Quote by Phoenix-Kun

Smells like teen Spirit is pretty much the easiest song i could think of for a begginer

All power chords, and the single notes are in a slow pattern thats easy to follow

the chord strumming is just in alternate picking, so its up and down strokes, pretty easy bro

Far from it - it's simple, but that doesn't make it easy to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

thanks mang, it's all black since apparently white guitars turn yellow (like socks???)

Weren't barre the ones that used all 6 strings? From what I understand cheesy pop rock and crappy punk banks use those and I hate it. Or is it some other technique?
Quote by blgdinger
thanks mang, it's all black since apparently white guitars turn yellow (like socks???)

Weren't barre the ones that used all 6 strings? From what I understand cheesy pop rock and crappy punk banks use those and I hate it. Or is it some other technique?

Barre chords are an essential core technique regardless of what genre you end up playing - put simply they're something you have to learn at some point. However, for the time being open chords is what you should really be focussing on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

You've got no chance of playing that in 21 days - possibly 6 months if you're very lucky and practice like a mofo but more likely a year.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

lol i've played for over a year, coming up on 2 actually, and i can not play that fast lol... my tapping is weak, i can not shred... how sad
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Dude i started the same way. I was like, watching my friend play guitar and i was like, yo dude i could do that. So i started off playing sweet child of mine riff without changing the bass note at about 5 percent speed for 4 weeks. Then i could almost play it perfectly. I went to the guitar center to show off my new skills and people were like, o watdafux shut dat kid up. And i saw this guy playing chords and stuff and it sounded good so i was like, hey thats what i should do. So i learned the basic chords. I got more done in 1 hour learning chords than a month of playing sweet child o mine really super sloppily.

Moral of the story: learn the basics in theory and chords first. Then, with your shitty knowledge of the fretboard, go learn some shitty a7x riffs or something. then learn the advancics (not basics but advancics) of theory and chords. Then you are good at guitar. I have no friends and i like typing. penis.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Oh boy... :s

Gh will do nothing for you, nothing at all.

You started guitar 3 weeks ago. That song is to difficult for you. Slow down. Learn Basic melodies like ode to joy, Mary had a little lamb etc etc. Then work your way to open chords. Get those down good. Then try barre chords.

After that, depending on what music guitarists play it seems to differ. If you want too play metal, start with SIMPLE thrash or something similar to metal....metalcore. Thrash is good though, in my opinion the level range is one of the greatest ranges in music. You can have simple riffs from Metallica or Megadeth. Or more complicated rhythms from Testament or Exodus.

But for your first year or two, I wouldn't even touch lead playing. Rhythm is VERY important.
Quote by blgdinger
what if I just 21 days this song including the solos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUW-ny7VKkA

Steven is right, the "21 Day Method" isn't magic. You don't go from barely touching a guitar to a COB song. I'd say it's almost impossible to learn that in under a year even if you practice 5 hours a day on it, starting from 3 weeks of practice.

You don't seem to understand what learning an instrument really takes yet, you will learn that soon enough.
hay now I used to play trumpet in the 5th grade. But that was like 9 or 10 years ago

the CoB song was more or less to just see what people would say :P but it's certainly an ultimate goal of mine.

Quote by Ze_Metal

Gh will do nothing for you, nothing at all.

You started guitar 3 weeks ago. That song is to difficult for you. Slow down. Learn Basic melodies like ode to joy, Mary had a little lamb etc etc. Then work your way to open chords. Get those down good. Then try barre chords.

Why does everyone say GH does nothing? I think that's a load of bullshit unless they played it before real guitar. At the least it got me this far :p

Which songs were too difficult? None of it seems difficult to learn or play, it's just taking time and some practice on the technique of hitting the notes properly.

Just exactly what is a barre chord? From my understanding it's a chord played on all 6 strings which I think I'm wrong because it just sounds like something that would be awful. Highly detailed explanations accepted!

thanks again
Quote by blgdinger
What about like the the angle of the pick in terms of it's axis? should I try to hold it upright like | or at a bit of an angle like / (lets pretend the underline part is the string and I'm holding the pick parallel with the string as aforementioned)

edit: that probably made no sense. I mean like this

Is version 1 better than version 2?

priceless
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
"have an Ibanez RG120 (holding a fender made me want to jump off a cliff) and a Spider III (because it's clearly the best amp in the world"

how can you claim this when you've only been playing under a month?
Alright, after reading most of this thread, here's what I have to say towards the subject.

Guitar Hero will not help you learn to play guitar, no matter who says so or how anybody feels, it's really nothing like actually learning guitar. It dosn't teach you rythm or how to pick properly on a guitar. There is a total of like 5 buttons on a guitar hero controller, and theres 6/7/8/10/12 or more strings on an actual guitar. You call it bullshit, I call it truth.

Aside from all that, it's good you're taking a good look at everything while being so early on in playing, but the stuff you're trying to play is for much higher level musicians. As already stated in this thread, it would take you a while before you actually learned to play some of this stuff. There are threads all over this site suggesting beginner songs that would be good to start out with. It's very important to take it one step at a time and try not rushing into things. I'd strongly suggest getting lessons for a while. Taking lessons will allow you to catch bad habits before they occur, and ones that have already occured, like the way you're picking.

One of the first things you want to start with is your open cords and maybe learning scales. When learning scales, or just about anything, it's important to use a metronome. I would also recommend practicing while standing up at times, because I see a few threads where people have trouble when it comes time to stand up and play.

If you really want to learn, it involves alot of hard work, diciplin and patience IMO. Most the people on here practice anywere from 1-8+ hours a day. I myself have been doing 3 hours mimimum lately, but never past 6 hours.

The 'Spiders simply the best amp in the world' made me LOL.
Coming from somebody that has played guitar hero and not ashamed of it. I can honestly say, it helps out very very little. Maybe with a little dexterity and finger independance but not that much.

To really get guitar it is alot more than just hitting a couple of notes, there is so much to learn. I have been playing for about 5 months now. I by no means am a good guitarist, but I have a lot of fun playing and will never play GH again. Real guitar is so much more rewarding.

Start out playing chords, just like everybody has said. It will help you immensely. Also don't try to rush anything, I've learned that now, take it slow and enjoy your learning process. It is going to be different from everybody else. Just cause others could do it at such and such time doesn't mean you will. You might be better at some and you might not. Don't get concerned if you aren't the best for playing a month. It takes years and years.

After 5 months I am able to play chords, I know theory, can play a couple different scales. I am working on improving, keeping in rythym and key with a song. There are alot of people better than me that I am around and it doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy where I am at and like to think I am doing a good job becuase I am still having fun.

The songs suggested already are great songs to start out with, smells like teen spirit is a good beginner song. Ensure you play it in proper key, timing, and everything. Concentrate on what you are doing, don't get sloppy trying to play super fast, start slow man.

When I decide to learn a part of a new song I start slow as sh!t to get my fingers used to moving that way. Then while going that slow I try to realize what the artist was doing and thinking while playing theory wise. That way i will be able to take that knowledge and apply it to my own. I don't just look at tabs and play them, try to disect them understand where they are coming from.

Good luck man. Keep rocking and don't let the hardship of being new get you down. It's hard as hell, but ensure you are having fun still!!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
The Spider III comment was pure sarcasm :P I think it's a lovely amp for the price but I don't see them being used at concerts so..

I still appreciate all the info and insight. Could someone still explain in their own words what a barre chord really is?

on a side note I beat Guitar Hero: World Tour yesterday. Unlocked Pull Me Under by Dream Theater. Now by the sounds of it, would this be another poor choice of songs to learn? The first 35 seconds of it doesn't sound to hard, which in my eyes is good for improving more finger coordination across a few strings. Is my thinking flawed?
there's not an awful lot to be gained from just learning the easy intro of a difficult song like Pull Me Under - you're not going to be able to play much else of it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by DaddyBarbs
Dude i started the same way. I was like, watching my friend play guitar and i was like, yo dude i could do that. So i started off playing sweet child of mine riff without changing the bass note at about 5 percent speed for 4 weeks. Then i could almost play it perfectly. I went to the guitar center to show off my new skills and people were like, o watdafux shut dat kid up. And i saw this guy playing chords and stuff and it sounded good so i was like, hey thats what i should do. So i learned the basic chords. I got more done in 1 hour learning chords than a month of playing sweet child o mine really super sloppily.

Moral of the story: learn the basics in theory and chords first. Then, with your shitty knowledge of the fretboard, go learn some shitty a7x riffs or something. then learn the advancics (not basics but advancics) of theory and chords. Then you are good at guitar. I have no friends and i like typing. penis.

I can see why you have no friends

If we're on the topic of songs then I think you should try some megadeth (minus the solos, those'll kill you) and possibly a lil metallica if your in standard. for drop D... uh... if your talkin easy then do some of the new avenged sevenfold songs (bad but easy) and maybe some shadows fall
A small bit about me:
I suppose that as of 3 weeks ago I've been playing Guitar Hero for 1 year, starting from easy and now I play all the fun stuff on expert. Since I got a guitar 2 months ago I've been playing even more GH and focusing on more difficult stuff for longer periods of time trying to successfully improve finger strength (basically a fun way of making my pinky a manly pinky). GH opened my eyes how awesome guitar really is and a friend of mine who plays real guitar said if I can play GH on expert I should be able to get a grasp of how real guitar works with ease. (RIGHT GUYS? )

I am not taking classes from a teacher nor have I had any type of formal or informal lessons from anyone else who plays guitar. I've been listening to songs that either sound easy, or I just like how they sound, as well as asking a friend for suggestions from when he started. The most I've done is purchased a DVD that gave a very detailed (and very dumbed down) explanation of Easy, Medium, hard, and Expert difficulties of guitar hero and how they convert onto a real guitar. The DVD also came with some exercises as well which was kind of nice. I had figured out simple stuff like Thunderkiss '65 by Rob Zombie (which by the way I love John5. he's rowdy!) and a simplified version of Iron Man by Black Sabbath. While searching for other music to play I looked into power chords and figured out how chords work on standard E tuning which made songs make a hell of a lot more sense. It helped figure out how to play the main riff from My Name Is Jonas by Weezer. I've tried to do the same with drop D, C, and B tunings as well.

I started a few months ago after getting good at Guitar Hero. I picked up real guitar the same day I beat the dragonforce song. The reason I picked up real guitar is because I felt I was spending too much time on a game and my time would be better off doing the real thing. I don't play Guitar Hero anymore at all (since I started). I do sometimes play the drums or vocals (no guitar) on rock band when I have friends over or when my dad feels like playing a few songs with me, but that's about it (usually vocals).

The only things I can see transitioning over from GH is being able to pick 1 string fast (maybe not properly, but I can do it easily), and a basic sense of rhythm. Obviously not a flawless sense of hitting every note at the right time, but atm I'm worrying more about finger positioning rather than metronomes and all that jazz.

I am just starting to practice tremolo picking now (after a few months of starting), practicing it with a metronome. Trust me when I say that I didn't learn any things from Guitar Hero that are useful on real guitar or that transitioned over. I also had been playing the game since the first one came out (september 2005). I can tell you that playing the game series as well as Rock Band for 2.5 years didn't help me with anything (including rhythm) when I picked up the guitar

Why does everyone say GH does nothing? I think that's a load of bullshit unless they played it before real guitar. At the least it got me this far :p

Which songs were too difficult? None of it seems difficult to learn or play, it's just taking time and some practice on the technique of hitting the notes properly.

Just exactly what is a barre chord? From my understanding it's a chord played on all 6 strings which I think I'm wrong because it just sounds like something that would be awful. Highly detailed explanations accepted!

I'm not going to explain/teach the basics to you, but you should learn them, maybe from a book, there's several online guides that you can find that are posted around here. And yes GH does nothing. I beat Dragonforce on expert and can probably any other song in Guitar Hero on expert as well. It doesn't help me with my playing skills at all. For the first month or so, maybe month and a half that I started playing, I too was learning a few riffs here and there, such as Pink Floyd - Money, Metallica - Enter Sandman, the Iron Man intro. One of my friends told me it wasn't a great way to go about it, so I started learning the minor scale, improvising, learned a few more chords and went from there.

I'm not going to say that the method I follow is better than yours (or anyone else's for that matter), but I do feel is has made me learn quite a bit about guitar then I would've if I just learned a bunch of riffs (i.e. became a campfire guitarist). If you want to become a campfire guitarist, then that's up to you to decide, different people have different objectives. My objective is to understand the guitar in such a manner that I can jam with other people when the time comes (i do know quite a few guitarists).

At the moment, I don't know that many songs or "riffs". I know maybe 2 or 3 complete songs, Pink Floys - Wish you were here, Judas Priest - breaking the law, and Nirvana - Polly. I am also trying to learn the Iron Man solo and Smoke on the Water solo, but I'm also trying to abstain from just learning the notes on tablature, I'm more focusing on figuring out what scale and key the solo/song is in, and sort of improvise over it to make it sound "rock-like".

By the way I can't play Smells like a Teen Spirit yet either. I haven't really tried it that much, I spent maybe 15 or so minutes on it last week. I just need to get the mute picking down and then I'll have the song down. I am trying to get the timing right first of all though with the alternate picking of the power chords.

If there's one advice I can give (okay four), #1 get a teacher if you can/afford, #2 get a book that teaches theory and how to read music notation (this will also help with timing/rhythm), #3 there is no substitute for practice. However, the key is to practice the thing that you want to get better at and have the guidance of the teacher/book on what to look out for and be able to observe on how to improve hand technique.

Lastly, #4, stop playing Guitar Hero. If you really want to learn guitar, I would say don't let it interfere necessarily with your social life, but you definetely are better off practicing then playing Guitar Hero when you have leisure time.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Oct 29, 2008,
-GH is trash. I weep for the future as it will be nothing but GH and Rock Band *****s thinking they are musicians.

-Fender makes some of the best guitars known to man. May not be your style,but doesnt change the fact they they are still awesome axes that are hella versatile.

-Playing guitar is nothing like a game. The shyt is hard. If it wasnt, everyone and their mom would be guitar gods.

Anyhow, Im not really trying to get on you per se. I just more people would really approach playing with realistic expectations.

Continue.....
When I held a fender it just felt wrong wrong wrong. Which is why I went with a guitar that felt comfortable to me. Good choice, correct?
Quote by blgdinger
When I held a fender it just felt wrong wrong wrong. Which is why I went with a guitar that felt comfortable to me. Good choice, correct?

Yep. Comfort and tone should be top priority, not what your headstock says.

To TS: GH won't teach you much of anything in relation to actual guitar. I think that's been established though.

Don't use songs as a measure of success. Learn songs because you enjoy them and want to make that particular music, but don't think of it in the GH "level" type mindset. Learning songs will only make you good at playing those songs. Learn your fundamentals like open chords and basic scales. Play with other musicians as often as possible. Practice with a metronome often, if not always, and improvise whenever you get a chance. Those are the things that will help you improve, not parroting other people's music. Do that for fun. That isn't to say you can't progress learning songs, but you'll be limiting the ways that you can moreso then having a solid foundation to work from.

TL;DR - Forget everything you may have gleaned about guitar from GH.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Firstly and foremost: the number one reason why GH is not beneficial to learning the real guitar is........*drumroll*

Time.

Yes, time. Nobody plays GH on expert the very first day. Well, if they did, they probably didn't get very far. Muscle memory and proper finger dexterity do not fully develop over night. Everyone who can play on expert level got there through hours upon hours of practice.

Now imagine if those same hours were spent learning the real thing.

Remember what Sharon said in the infamous episode of South Park? Something like "if they spent as much time learning the real guitar as they do playing the game, who knows what they could accomplish?"

You would think they would probably be quite proficient at playing the real thing. But there's a catch, there's another side effect to playing the real guitar as opposed to playing guitar hero....

Creativity.

Nobody has written a song or tab for that matter meant to be played on a GH controller. Who knows though, maybe future releases of GH/RB will incorporate song creating elements. Remember I said this, so when they do it you can say "hey they stole that random dude's idea!"

Until they steal my ridiculous idea, there is no way to actually create a song on GH. Most people play the track and have no idea what note they are even playing, let alone scale, key, chords, etc.

Where am I going with this? Well, imagine if you could learn a song on the real guitar using the same principle as GH. Over time, you would learn where to put your fingers at different times in the song, as well as when to strum. But what happens if you are playing the song with a band and you forget part of the song...or one of your bandmates messes up the timing or plays in a different key? A good guitarist is also a good musician, and can adapt to the situation without thinking. Improvise. Fill in the holes with melodies or rhythms that make sense and do not make people wrinkle their face and head for the door.

GH does however have a couple redeeming qualities to it though. As one person already said, it has caused a great deal of interest in playing the real guitar for kids. I think the same can be said for some adults as well. It's also a great party game that is easy to pick up and play with friends...especially drunk friends.

So play GH because it's a fun game to play, but never use it as a substitute for practice on the real thing.

Now, to address a few of your questions:
The first tab - PoV - I suggest muting the D string with the bottom portion of your index finger (lightly touch it). The chord you are playing is actually a root note (B) and it's octave, very common.

The second tab - finger picked, which is an advanced technique. But here's the kicker, both notes are a G. So really you can play either note for now until you've developed finger picking to the point you are comfortable playing it the way it's tabbed. I suggest sticking to something simpler for while.

The single pickup at the bridge - sharper tone, as others have said. Neck pickup is more for clean.

The pick - from the picture it looks like you might be holding it way too tight. Learn to play relaxed, it will help you tremendously. Also, holding the pick properly simply comes with time and practice. For starting out, I suggest holding the pick at a slight angle both horizontally (so you can strum easier) and vertically (using more of the edge will help with speed). When I first started out, I was great at down picking/strumming, but up picking/strumming was a chore. You must learn to do both! Again, comes with practice...you will develop a feel.

Tone button - sounds to me like you were turning the volume knob...

Youtube is great, but nothing replaces a good live teacher. I've had several teachers, and when you finally find a great one, you will see yourself improve much faster.

That's about it I guess. Long winded answer for a long winded topic.
Last edited by Fratman at Oct 29, 2008,
Hold the pick between your thumb and your index finger, and maybe angle it a little less. As for the pickups, I think every beginner picks one pickup that they strongly prefer over the other (it was the bridge for me too), but in the last year or so I've really realized how changing pickups can make your playing a lot more dynamic and how the neck pickup can sound a lot better for some songs/styles.
Page 1 of 3