Right folks, just for a bit of fun, I think I'll have a go at making my bass guitar headless.

Looking at it, and the way that strings are, it should be simple enough. Cut the head off, attatch a bracket at the top to act as a stopper for the strings, then bore some holes at the very bottom for the machine heads. Once I've done that I should be able to just thread the strings from the neck down and there I go, headless guitar.

It's part of a project at Uni, so I have a some machinery at my disposal.

So, as much as it sounds pretty flawed, is my reasoning correct? Should this work?
First off, I do not condone headless guitars/basses. I personally think they're ugly and an abomination unto music. But I respect your choice for wanting to mod yours.

Headless bass means tuners at the tailpiece of the guitar. Look at a Steinberger for reference, as they are the best at that design.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
You should put the tuners on the side if the bass is shaped for it:

(Minus the head, of coarse)

And I agree with Shinozoku. But everyone's taste in styles are different.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Wait wait wait. I've played bass for four years, but when it comes to tech, I don't really know anything.

Truss Rod? Tail piece? I take it that means the very end of the body?

Well, at least you all understand what I intend to do. I just though "why can't I thread the strings through the bridge and into tuners". Of course, I'm using my old guitar for this as a test run, would never do it to the one I play now (and dearly love!).
http://www.steinberger.com/XS15FPACST.html

There. And the warning against cutting into the truss rod was stated because of the step that involves removing the headstock. The rods do sometimes come a little past the nut.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
something to think about

will the neck twist?

will you need to change the NUT?

will the tuning keys and those cut string ends rip your pants?
I dont know what type of bass you have, but A head seems like it would be more asthetically pleasing to the eye than NO head at all.

You better decide if thats truely what you want to do before you go hacking into your guitar only later to be stuck with a permenant mod you hate.

Just my two cents worth. But yes, Steinberger are a good reference.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Unless you got a really good metal shop, i recommend buying steinberger bridges and headpieces online on ebay or through the steinbergerworld forum. If you want to make your own machine head tuner bridge, i would still recommend getting the heatpiece that is the correct size for your bass. Prolly set you back 30-100 bucks for the headpiece, and 100-200 for the bridge.

Good luck, and when your done Pics would be sweet.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master