alright so I was thinking of getting a 7 string, or maybe even an 8 string soon. but everyone i tell this to says its a waste of money, that im only going to be able to play metal with those kinds of guitars, and only metal bands play them (especially the 8 string, people think that playing an 8 string will automatically turn everything you play into meshuggah)

so what do you think? are they right? does an extended range guitar limit your playing instead of - ugh, pun - extending it?
Haha, extended range just means you have an extended range. Just because you have a ESP EC-1000, that doesn't mean you have to play metal.. That's silliness, and whoever told you that is, please excuse me using this term but, a retard. Buy the 7/8 string, they are really fun to **** around with. Just be creative. Also realize that with the extra strings comes extra neck width.. Ew..
Quote by SylvaShredder
Haha, extended range just means you have an extended range. Just because you have a ESP EC-1000, that doesn't mean you have to play metal.. That's silliness, and whoever told you that is, please excuse me using this term but, a retard. Buy the 7/8 string, they are really fun to **** around with. Just be creative. Also realize that with the extra strings comes extra neck width.. Ew..

yeah im a little worried about it, but hey, its just learniing something new
ERG guitars arent merely for metal, i use my 8 string in my uni jazz band, the extra low notes means i can play both the bass lines and chords at the same time. You think of what to do with the extra range rather than buying one merely for metal.

7 and 8 strings can be used for the same music as 6 strings at the end of the day, its just that the current scene is encouraging the use of them in purely metal/prog circumstances.
what exactly does it stop you from playing?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You can always play it like a 6 anyway...just because you've got the bottom strings, doesn't turn you into an only-metal player.

Besides, 7 stringers were an innovation for jazz players, originally.
The type of music you can play is only limited by your immagination, the number of strings doesnt come into it (I play some sweet jazz on zero strings, in my mind lol).

Quote by Diamond Dave
i always thought it would be cool to have an 8 string and instead of adding two lower strings add two higher ones.
It is JUST about possible to add a high A with special strings, but two higher notes is a no no.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
only petrucci(when he's with) dream theater and some nu-metal bands really use 7 strings in metal, although it is used in jazz.
but it kinda spoils the look, cuz there's a wider neck.
just use a whammy pedal instead, like jack white.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
only petrucci(when he's with) dream theater and some nu-metal bands really use 7 strings in metal, although it is used in jazz.

jeff loomis, rusty cooley, chris broderick, steve vai, dave weiner, marco sfogli

all 7 string players, none of them numetal.

all of them awesome.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 30, 2008,
It does not limit you in any way, though many seven strings are equipped with pickups which work best for metal and heavy rock - not a problem, pickups can be swapped if you don't like them.
Otherwise i don't see a problem. If the guitar looks too metal for some people........just paint it with nail polish like Hendrix did. Problem solved.
Quote by goonerbynature

Necrophagist, Joe Satriani, Divine Heresy, Fear Factory, Trivium, Nevermore etc

Most people wouldnt tell a 7 string neck at first glance, they're not that much wider and DEFINATLY dont spoil the look IMO

(11 string PRSs now they spoilt the look)

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Necrophagist, Joe Satriani, Divine Heresy, Fear Factory, Trivium, Nevermore etc

Most people wouldnt tell a 7 string neck at first glance, they're not that much wider and DEFINATLY dont spoil the look IMO

(11 string PRSs now they spoilt the look)

yeah saw meshuggah live, the 8 strings do look kinda funky due to the extra wide neck, but its not that bad. and true, most people cant tell a 6 from a 7 string at first glance.
There are other types of extended range too, y'know.
You could get a baritone. It would restrict your playing a little more than a 7 string but the thinner neck would be more comfortable.
27 Frets could be good too; not really a bad thing in any way as far as I can tell.

I agree with everyone else; seven strings don't stop you from playing anything, although it might be hard to find one with an output between jazz and metal.
^ 27 frets is a little pointless IMO, bands tend to tune down, not up, I dont open a tab and think crap I need 27 frets lol and a couple of extra frets does not match an extra string, although I'm sure it cant hurt.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976